Turn on thread page Beta

Is it worth going to university for the “uni experience”? watch

• View Poll Results: Should you go to university for the experience?
    Yes
    48.28%
    No
    51.72%

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I certainly wouldn't say so.

ReputationRep:
    The guys you describe are the very reason why tuition fees should be raised; it would hopefully put them off going altogether. Because people like that do go, teaching quality for others is inevitably lessened and along with it the value of a 'degree'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geisskane)
    The guys you describe are the very reason why tuition fees should be raised; it would hopefully put them off going altogether. Because people like that do go, teaching quality for others is inevitably lessened and along with it the value of a 'degree'.
    Oh I don't know, I'm sure teachers and nurses trained at new universities at the bottom of the tables have better job prospects than people studying ancient history. If graduate job prospects is a mark of value, then be careful what you say.

ReputationRep:
    If they get good marks on their degree, then I think it's better to go to uni than not to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I completely disagree. A degree is barely of any importance in comparison to receiving a rounded and universal education, growing as an individual and so forth. That is what universities are there for, not to be some sort of vocational college for job training.
    I agree.

(Original post by Svenjamin)
    But these days fees are way too high. It's not worth going to uni unless you have a planned career path that requires the degree. Why leave with 15k+ debt for something that won't help achieve your dream job or earn more money than you would without the degree? Experience is regarded much more highly than a qualification in quite a few fields, so working up the ranks is much more worthwhile if it's at all possible.
    I disagree, quite a few well-paying jobs are only open to graduates.

ReputationRep:
    Its a split.

ReputationRep:
    Bump

ReputationRep:
    Apologies to revive an old thread. But this was such a fascinating read.

I wonder what people's opinions are now that fee's are £9,000?!?!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2015
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.