Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I just got a job at Spar and (after practically no training) I started the day after my interview and have so far done 3 shifts.

Thing is, we have a ''Think 25 policy'' but i find it REALLY hard to judge how old people are. What should I do about this?

I don't want to refuse someone a sale because they dont have ID and i think they look younger than 25 and then my supervisor come and say ''this customer is way over 25 why didnt u serve them?'' because i'll feel stupid. But i also dont want to serve someone whos underage and get the £80 fine and serious consequences etc etc

This is really getting to me and I don't know how to solve it, i was told that ''if you're unsure - ask for ID'' but i dont wanna ID someone who's like 40!!

Please help! Any advice is much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    I would ask most people.

if in doubt then ask. Used to work at sainsburys and had the same problems. Most people dont really mind as its only your job.

Just dont get on a mjor power trip like some cashiers do lol

ReputationRep:
    most older people are flattered to be asked for ID

dont be afraid!!!

ReputationRep:
    I work at Asda on the kiosk so 99% of sales i make are for age restricted items like **** etc. 25 and 18 is actually a big gap visually on most people but i have ID'd people over 25 who had it and other who haven't had the ID with them. It's no big deal, girls are usually flattered and men couldnt care less.
    Basically I go by if I think they look like they might be an age close to mine (20) I ID them and if they look older i don't and younger i obviously do. That sentence was confusing. Basically you'll get the hang of it and it's scary to ask at first but just go for it. you get iut wrong, your only doing your job.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe mention that you are new?

ReputationRep:
    You get used to it. My first few shifts I couldn't bring myself to ID people but thankfully they were all blatantly old enough. Once you've done it once you'll be totally confident asking anyone for ID. If someone comes along compare them to people you know and try think if they look more like an 18 year old or more like a 25 year old. If you have even the slightest doubt that they are 25, ask for ID. People don't mind showing it, promise!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice so far everyone

Im just wondering, what happens if i ask someone for ID and they say no they havent got it but they're like 35, but i dont know (because i cant judge ages haha) what do i do? Do i just ring for a supervisor? Or do i take the customers word for it?

Also, if a fully grown adult comes in with say, a teenager (son / daughter etc) wanting to buy booze, can i serve them? And what would happen in the same situation if the child was 5/6 years old?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    fortunatley because i am 16 and work in waitrose i can't do alcohol so i have to call over a supervisior but if in doubt ask, if they are blatently over about 30 don't ask but if they look young enough to be your brother or sister ask them.

ReputationRep:
    Slightly relevant question. If you were underage, and you accidentally broke an alcohol bottle in a shop, would you be expected to pay for it, or would they be unable to charge you for it because of the law?
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Drew_)
    Slightly relevant question. If you were underage, and you accidentally broke an alcohol bottle in a shop, would you be expected to pay for it, or would they be unable to charge you for it because of the law?
    They would charge you for damaged property, not for the alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    it actually depends where you broke it and how and also if you were an employee, i dropped a whole tray of cream whilst i was working and they didn't charge me in waitrose, but one of my friends knocked off a bottle of alcohol in sainsburys and she was charged for damages

ReputationRep:
    i literally ID anyone who i think looks older than 30.. i've ID'd people of about 34 before.. they shouldn't care, everyone should have ID with them if they're buying age-restricted products.
    and to be honest, i don't want to be fined £5000 if it is a test purchase.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morg)
    i literally ID anyone who i think looks older than 30.. i've ID'd people of about 34 before.. they shouldn't care, everyone should have ID with them if they're buying age-restricted products.
    and to be honest, i don't want to be fined £5000 if it is a test purchase.
    But what im scared of happening is that I ID someone who is apparently 34 and they don't have ID then i refuse the sale and ring for a supervisor and the supervisor believes their 34 and serves them and then i look stupid. Aren't you ever worries about this?

But then on the other hand I feel the humiliation (or just mis-judgement) on my part in this situation would be far easier to deal with than the massive fine / consequences of a failed test purchase, like you say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateasaurus)
    But what im scared of happening is that I ID someone who is apparently 34 and they don't have ID then i refuse the sale and ring for a supervisor and the supervisor believes their 34 and serves them and then i look stupid. Aren't you ever worries about this?

But then on the other hand I feel the humiliation (or just mis-judgement) on my part in this situation would be far easier to deal with than the massive fine / consequences of a failed test purchase, like you say.
    You've just got to think, i will probably never meet this guy again.. and what if it is a really old looking 24 year old, and he is a test purchaser. and you serve him, then you get a massive fine.

it's not worth it to be honest..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morg)
    You've just got to think, i will probably never meet this guy again.. and what if it is a really old looking 24 year old, and he is a test purchaser. and you serve him, then you get a massive fine.

it's not worth it to be honest..
    So even if the person IS over 18 but I didn't ID them I STILL get fined? I thought you only got fined if they looked under 25, WERE under 18 and you didn't ID them? Cos technically serving a 24y/o isn't breaking the law?

But I could be wrong as, like i said, my training was practically non-existent, hence my clueless-ness now :P

ReputationRep:
    You should have had training on this. How appalling if you haven't... =/ Basically, if you think they look 25 or under, ID them - if they look older don't. If unsure, ID anyway. Are you under 18? Cause you should have to call a supervisor over anyway... Or at least ask another general assistant. If you ID someone you think is under 25, they don't have ID and you call over your supervisor, they'll back you up - unless it's glaringly obvious that they're over 18 (although two people I know look over 25, and they're 18 and 17).

So yeah - if in doubt ID, or bring over a supervisor. You'll get the hang of it soon enough And don't forget to ID the entire group if they're buying alcohol. If you believe that someone's buying alcohol for minors, refuse the sale.

So even if the person IS over 18 but I didn't ID them I STILL get fined? I thought you only got fined if they looked under 25, WERE under 18 and you didn't ID them? Cos technically serving a 24y/o isn't breaking the law?

But I could be wrong as, like i said, my training was practically non-existent, hence my clueless-ness now :P
    From my understanding - test purchasers (who are sent in by the police) are always under 18, otherwise you can't be fined for selling the alcohol. The store could be reminded about IDing, and your name mentioned, but you can only be fined for actually selling alcohol to someone under 18.

ReputationRep:

Well i'm not sure about the rules where you work, but at tesco, if you serve the test purchaser alcohol, and they are 24, and you don't ID them, you fail it and can be fined.

bad times.:mad:

ReputationRep:

Work at Tesco here and ofc we apply the Think 25 policy, basically I still work the old Think 21 policy, I found it easier to judge people that way, if my manager asks me why I didn't ask so and so for ID when they think they looked under 25 I simple say, 'to me they looked older than 25, my perspective is different to yours', worst that happens is the manager says well, make sure you do ID those you think.

If you're unsure, call your supervisor, thats what they're there for, most of mine just gossip and it really peeves me off, so I just put my light on to piss them off and ask them to get me some bags or summin lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morg)
    Well i'm not sure about the rules where you work, but at tesco, if you serve the test purchaser alcohol, and they are 24, and you don't ID them, you fail it and can be fined.

bad times.:mad:
    Righto, thanks. Im doing 5-10 shift tonight so im just gonna go for it and if i make a mistake and they are like 30, well at least i didn't get fined for selling to someone underage and have to pay a massive fine

ReputationRep:
    A supervisor or manager should always back you up on IDing people. Even if they think the person is clearly old enough, if you ask them for ID they should back you up and say you can't serve them unless they have ID.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.