Turn on thread page Beta

Think 25 - Help :( watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateasaurus)
    Righto, thanks. Im doing 5-10 shift tonight so im just gonna go for it and if i make a mistake and they are like 30, well at least i didn't get fined for selling to someone underage and have to pay a massive fine
    toooo right
    and nice shift, i do that on a saturday and sunday night

ReputationRep:
    If in doubt, just ask. I failed a test purchase on Monday night

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morg)
    Well i'm not sure about the rules where you work, but at tesco, if you serve the test purchaser alcohol, and they are 24, and you don't ID them, you fail it and can be fined.

bad times.:mad:
    that is really stupid because you may think they look over 25!! judging age is a completely subjective thing, you may think that person is 30 but someone else may think they are 21 ?????? i would actually put forward my case if i worked for tesco and was told that.

ReputationRep:
    Just ask absolutely everyone, and then if they complain, just say, I have to ask everyone, it's the law/my job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    That's completely untrue. Your managers are trying to scare you. Think 25 is a voluntary policy, so no one has any authority to fine you for serving alcohol to someone who is legally able to buy it, regardless of whether you broke Think 25. You might get told off or have to be retrained, but definitely not fined. You haven't broken a law, so fining you is not allowed. If you have been fined for failing a test purchase, then I'd consider speaking to your union/ a lawyer.
    My bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lizia)
    Not a problem. Just wanted to make sure the OP wasn't made even more nervous about IDing than she already appears!
    Lol thanks Lizia I'm just gonna ID absolutely EVERYONE i'm not sure about tonight, it beats selling to under 18's and facing the consequences right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateasaurus)
    Lol thanks Lizia I'm just gonna ID absolutely EVERYONE i'm not sure about tonight, it beats selling to under 18's and facing the consequences right?
    I agree entirely, don't let it worry you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FluffyLion)
    From my understanding - test purchasers (who are sent in by the police) are always under 18, otherwise you can't be fined for selling the alcohol. The store could be reminded about IDing, and your name mentioned, but you can only be fined for actually selling alcohol to someone under 18.
    Yeah I work at Sainsbury's and I'm pretty sure they cannot fine you for serving someone over 18 alcohol. They can fail the store for not carrying out the think 25 policy but not fine you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setmefree)
    Yeah I work at Sainsbury's and I'm pretty sure they cannot fine you for serving someone over 18 alcohol. They can fail the store for not carrying out the think 25 policy but not fine you.
    And even then, the Think 25 policy isn't even compulsory - stores/companies have to take it upon themselves to decide if they want to do it or not. I think the majority of supermarkets etc are doing it, but it's not imperative.

ReputationRep:
    i work at homebase so we have loads of agte restricted stuff, spray paints, knives, hammers, spades!! (offensive weapon apparently, pretty funny peoples reaction when you id them buying a spade ) but yeah i used to hatteee iding people but you really do get used to it, just look confident about it and they wont try to blag it as much

ReputationRep:
    Don't stress out too much about fines. Did you know that a person doing a test purchase has to be honest about their age if asked? And they're not allowed to look younger than they are - they can't look misleading. Just go with your gut feeling, and if it helps, blame the policy. You know, say "I'm so sorry, but we've just started this think 25 policy so I've got to ask you for ID... it's a bit daft, I mean - what 17 year old is going to look like a 25 year old? But I've got to do it!" sort of thing. I work at Sainsbury's and joking around a bit like you're 'on their side' seems to calm an offended customer down and reminds them that you're not being a ***** - it's just your job.

ReputationRep:
    I went to sainsburys last night with my 52 yr old dad and my boyfriend, who had ID, to buy alcohol and soft drinks for a party. My dad was buying it all, so i didnt bother to take my ID or handbag. After an hour and 1/2's shopping when we got to the cash desk we were refused sale, due to the lack of my ID. I am over the 18 age limit anyway, and with my Dad buying it, it seems riduculous!

I can completely understand why the government have introduced this policy and it is vital that we crack down on the criminals who are supplying alcohol for under age people, but in situations like this where there is clearly a responsible adult paying for all the drink it competely undermines the trust of the paying adult!

In the end i had to go home and get my ID, and at that point we were allowed sale. But it seems utterly riduculous that just because you take your children shopping to buy alcohol you are refused sale!

Surely people who are breaking the law and buying for under 18's will not take the people for whom they are buying the alcohol into the store with them!!!!

I completely understand the cashier's problem, but it is an extremely stupid system!

ReputationRep:
    Please use common sense.

I say this because: I know a 37 year old woman who got ID'ed recently buying wine with her weekly shop. And she looks, acts and dresses her age and had her 2 kids with her.

Also because I lived in New York which is strict for ID and didn't get asked becuase they have common sense, whereas here they've started asking and yes I'm 25, and they don't accept my MOD90 card (armed forces ID) or my SIA license, even when their instore security confirm you have to be at least 18 for the basic SIA and 21 for mine. So I've been refused a sale point blank. I don't drive and my other 2 forms of ID are acceted in place of a passport for travel so I don't need one.

ReputationRep:
    Supermarkets only accept passports/photo cards with PASS logo/driving licences as it keeps things much simpler for cashiers, and queues down, as cashiers can spot whether they are fake or not. If they were to accept military ID, they would have to accept every military ID from every country in the world, which would take ages training cashiers. If you don't want to have a passport/drivers licence get a citizens card here:

http://www.citizencard.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destes)
    I work at Asda on the kiosk so 99% of sales i make are for age restricted items like **** etc. 25 and 18 is actually a big gap visually on most people but i have ID'd people over 25 who had it and other who haven't had the ID with them. It's no big deal, girls are usually flattered and men couldnt care less.
    Basically I go by if I think they look like they might be an age close to mine (20) I ID them and if they look older i don't and younger i obviously do. That sentence was confusing. Basically you'll get the hang of it and it's scary to ask at first but just go for it. you get iut wrong, your only doing your job.
    I do the same as you. If they look younger than me I ask for ID.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by morg)
    You've just got to think, i will probably never meet this guy again.. and what if it is a really old looking 24 year old, and he is a test purchaser. and you serve him, then you get a massive fine.

it's not worth it to be honest..
    You CANNOT get fined if the person is over 18 regardless of how old they look. Test purchasers are always under 18 anyway.

OP: Just be sensible. Someone in the middle of the day, wearing smart work clothes is unlikely to be underaged ect. One tip would be not to comment on the person looking young after you've asked for ID and they are older than you thought. People do this to me all the time and it's quite offensive.

ReputationRep:
    To the original post:

Thank 25 - Means you ask anyone that looks under the age of 25 for ID for any age restricted products, such as cigarettes, alcohol, party poppers, lottery, DVD's, petrol, knives etc.

Usually you need to write down all age challenges in a booklet (I know Sainsbury's write it down and I know BP do it too).

I have a couple of tips: If you are young (Say 20's?), consider if the person is older than you.
    Second tip: If the person has crows feet - even faint ones- their usually over 25.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louisdf)
    Supermarkets only accept passports/photo cards with PASS logo/driving licences as it keeps things much simpler for cashiers, and queues down, as cashiers can spot whether they are fake or not. If they were to accept military ID, they would have to accept every military ID from every country in the world, which would take ages training cashiers. If you don't want to have a passport/drivers licence get a citizens card here:

http://www.citizencard.com/
    I'm not going to shell out any extra money just so I can buy a bit of wine to cook with every now and again (I don't even drink!) It worries me the lack of common sense. And that these people are studying towards a degree. Seriously.

If I'm buying risotto rice, and herbs, parmesan, whatever other bits I want in that risotto and a small (125ml) bottle of white wine, I think it's safe to say I'm not an underage drinker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlickeringEmber)
    I'm not going to shell out any extra money just so I can buy a bit of wine to cook with every now and again (I don't even drink!) It worries me the lack of common sense. And that these people are studying towards a degree. Seriously.

If I'm buying risotto rice, and herbs, parmesan, whatever other bits I want in that risotto and a small (125ml) bottle of white wine, I think it's safe to say I'm not an underage drinker.

It's a free market, supermarkets can choose to refuse to sell items to whoever they want. You act as if it's your human rights to buy alcohol. If you don't want to get the proper ID which supermarkets ask of you, that's your choice. Otherwise, stop complaining! And just because you're only buying a small bottle of wine, why should they make an exception for you? If it was a chav buying cans of larger, would you just let them past as well? Supermarkets don't have time to debate and assess whether you can get drunk or not from the wine that you're buying. If you are buying age restricted items, and you look under 25 you need ID, simple. Also, there's no point in saying that cashiers don't have any sense as they are only enforcing the law, they do not create it. If you think it's unfair then you should complain to the government.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.