Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To what extent are you maximising your lifespan Watch

ReputationRep:
    How would you summarise your attitude towards balancing a long healthy life with indulgences working the other way (excess alcohol, smoking, diet etc). Is living into your late seventies/eighties/nineties a big priority of yours?

ReputationRep:
    I live my life in the now, rather than thinking about the past or the future. I'm not entirely healthy (I love my food) but I barely ever drink (a few times a year, a few drinks a time), and I don't smoke or take drugs (never have, never will). I'd say I've got as good a chance as most other people of a long life, but as long as I continue living the perfect life I have now, I'd have no regrets if I died tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    i drink, smoke, and eat crap food.. i'm doing nothing to maximise my lifespan.

i don't want to live to that point where i've achieved all i want and i'm just waiting to die.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very concious of my future. I don't smoke, drink excessively nor am I overweight. I exercise regularly and try and get my 5-a-day. I use sunscreen and don't sit out in the sun.

My sister recently started talking about using a sunbed. And myself and my mum are vehemently against sunbeds, in reply to our concerns she replied 'I smoke, so what's the point'. It infuriated me tbh. She places NO value whatsoever on her health - she's very overweight, eats pizza til the cows come home, smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish and now wants to start giving herself skin cancer to boot.

I just don't understand young people's mentality these days.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Well I don't smoke or drink much but I daresay my diet will be my downfall

ReputationRep:
    No one can tell what will happen in the future.

Personally, I'd be very surprised if the world as we know it survives another 60 years. Still, I'd like to live as long as possible.

ReputationRep:
    I dont smoke but i do drink. I like to think my diet isnt that bad.
    But there plenty more i could do i suppose.

ReputationRep:
    I don't smoke. I don't drink excessively. I don't go out to use a tanning bed. I have a moderately good diet. I exercise regularly. I take my crazy pills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punktopia)
    No one can tell what will happen in the future.

Personally, I'd be very surprised if the world as we know it survives another 60 years. Still, I'd like to live as long as possible.

How do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Personally I don't want to live to my nineties. It was so hard watching my great grandma in the years just before her death and I don't want that :no: As long as I have a hppy life that's all that matters to me

ReputationRep:
    i tend to not think about it, whats really the point when i could get hit by a bus tomorrow?? i'd rather live for now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not doing anything with the thought that it might help me live longer, but I don't really have any life-shortening bad habits either.

ReputationRep:
    I do what I can (eat good, exercise, don't do drugs) but I've never really done it to maximise my lifespan.. more to enhance the years that I do live even if that means I end up dying young.. that way, atleast when i lived, there was decent quality to life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    I'm very concious of my future. I don't smoke, drink excessively nor am I overweight. I exercise regularly and try and get my 5-a-day. I use sunscreen and don't sit out in the sun.

My sister recently started talking about using a sunbed. And myself and my mum are vehemently against sunbeds, in reply to our concerns she replied 'I smoke, so what's the point'. It infuriated me tbh. She places NO value whatsoever on her health - she's very overweight, eats pizza til the cows come home, smokes like a chimney, drinks like a fish and now wants to start giving herself skin cancer to boot.

I just don't understand young people's mentality these days.
    This is all well and good but nothing can stop say a bus hitting you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamd-33)
    This is all well and good but nothing can stop say a bus hitting you
    Bad analogy really - you don't exactly walk out in front of the bus on purpose, do you?

ReputationRep:
    I smoke, drink, eat ****** food, don't exercise much (I miss walking everywhere :sad:). Meh.

ReputationRep:
    You don't know when life will be taken from you. Make the most of now, seriously. Lost my dad about 10 years ago now and that's the one thing that's really stuck with me... have a good life.

ReputationRep:
    I want to die before I get old.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing tbh. Only thing I can think of is not smoking/using a sunbed.

ReputationRep:
    I put no effort into preserving my old age.

The way I see it, is that the best time of my life is going to be between now and middle age.. and in that time i want to have fun. Im not going to start sacrificing important parts of my life now so that i extend the end of my life, as the end will probably be the worst bit. Im not stupid though, I have an excellent vegan diet, Im fairly fit, you wouldnt catch me with make-up let alone a sunbed, and i generally look after myself. But thats to improve my life right now, not in the future.

Anyway, I dont expect to live that long, im far too reckless.. i cycle like a lunatic and climb around unstable buildings.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.