Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

To what extent are you maximising your lifespan Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoundDevastation)
    I put no effort into preserving my old age.

The way I see it, is that the best time of my life is going to be between now and middle age.. and in that time i want to have fun. Im not going to start sacrificing important parts of my life now so that i extend the end of my life, as the end will probably be the worst bit. Im not stupid though, I have an excellent vegan diet, Im fairly fit, you wouldnt catch me with make-up let alone a sunbed, and i generally look after myself. But thats to improve my life right now, not in the future.

Anyway, I dont expect to live that long, im far too reckless.. i cycle like a lunatic and climb around unstable buildings.
    This is going to sound horrifically stupid, but... you're female?

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't sacrifice my enjoyment of my youth just to gain a couple of years when I'm 80 and can't fully appreciate it. To me, that's stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samz)
    i tend to not think about it, whats really the point when i could get hit by a bus tomorrow?? i'd rather live for now.
    If you factor in the future, you'll enjoy the future better e.g. pension, healthier body. "Living for now" is reckless and stupid. There's a balance to be found though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    This is going to sound horrifically stupid, but... you're female?
    Yes... an alarming number of TSR users get surprised by this fact.

ReputationRep:
    Yes... an alarming number of TSR users get surprised by this fact.

I just assumed you were a guy. I guess it's the whole Anarchist/Vegan/Squatter lifestyle. Obviously there are girls who do it, but all the ones I know are males, it seems a more male-dominated lifestyle.
    Wow, I'm quite surprised.

ReputationRep:
    I put no effort into preserving my old age.

The way I see it, is that the best time of my life is going to be between now and middle age.. and in that time i want to have fun. Im not going to start sacrificing important parts of my life now so that i extend the end of my life, as the end will probably be the worst bit. Im not stupid though, I have an excellent vegan diet, Im fairly fit, you wouldnt catch me with make-up let alone a sunbed, and i generally look after myself. But thats to improve my life right now, not in the future.

Anyway, I dont expect to live that long, im far too reckless.. i cycle like a lunatic and climb around unstable buildings.
    Recreationally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    I just assumed you were a guy. I guess it's the whole Anarchist/Vegan/Squatter lifestyle. Obviously there are girls who do it, but all the ones I know are males, it seems a more male-dominated lifestyle.
    Wow, I'm quite surprised.
    It is a bit weird how its like that.. veganism and anarchism tend to be about 50/50 but squatting seems quite male. Im the only female in our squat at the mo.. (not that its a bad thing )

(Original post by Fusion)
    Recreationally?
    Semi.. I live in a 200-year old factory. The roof is caving in and we're trying to fix it... our living space is safe but the top two floors are pretty sketchy, and the ground floor has alot of broken glass. Id like to do more for fun! cause it is fun..

ReputationRep:
    i dont give a crap about my life.... i am looking forwards to dying although i dont want to die yet.

ReputationRep:
    I've given up smoking, only drink on special occasions and have become a vegetarian (although that wasnt a health issue). I don't want to die a slow and painful death which was the main reason i gave up what i did (smoking mainly) and at the same time don't want alzheimers so i'll probably just do the japanese thing and top myself when i become a burden

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alan_Johnson)
    I'll probably just do the japanese thing and top myself when i become a burden
    That's my plan. I'm 23 and have had diabetes for 10 years. I'm 99% certain that I will my falling apart when I'm 50/60 and I don't see the point in living if I have kidney failure, heart disease and am blind with potential amputations looming. I've started to think of my heart though recently, I've stopped eating red meat too much (only 2 days a week in the last few weeks ) even though I love it! I wish I didn't have a bus card as I get the bus everywhere and do basically no exercise at all. I don't smoke or binge drink, I rarely drink now actually. I might start having a drink in the evening, better than none. I'm thinking about my skin too, trying to drink more water and moisturise every few hours. Well my hands anyway. That's not lifespan but thought I'd mention it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamd-33)
    This is all well and good but nothing can stop say a bus hitting you
    I'm pretty sure drinking and smoking causes more deaths each year than bus accidents..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    If you factor in the future, you'll enjoy the future better e.g. pension, healthier body. "Living for now" is reckless and stupid. There's a balance to be found though.
    Tbh, that's your opinion but its one that I find 'stupid.' I would rather have a shorter life if it meant I could do the things I actually enjoy than a long one spent worrying about what I can and can't eat, how many hours sleep I should get and all that rubbish.
    Ps. a pension to look forward to?! at the moment I find that very hard to believe :p:

ReputationRep:
    I have never smoked or taken drugs. When I was younger I belived I wouldn't drink beer at all but that has changed. I don't drink casually, but only at parties maybe once or twice a month.

Apart from that I body build so I maintain a balanced high-protein diet with lots of vegetables and such. Of course the purpose of it isn't to live long though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Bad analogy really - you don't exactly walk out in front of the bus on purpose, do you?
    That's a good point, but then, two people in Cardiff have died in the last month by being hit by buses accidentally.

I don't drink all that much - maybe a couple of glasses of wine every month or so - I don't particularly eat a bad diet, I don't smoke... I just probably don't exercise enough, but that's more because I don't have cash for a gym, and it's been pissing down with rain here for ages and I loathe walking in the rain. I walk a hell of a lot whenever I'm in London though - 5-6 miles a day - and that's usually a week a month... I'm having a lifestyle change once I get into uni, as my mum's got type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure etc and I don't want to be falling apart when I'm older and dependent on medication.

ReputationRep:
    I used to drink loads, smoke, take drugs, never exercised etc... Now I don't drink, I have stopped smoking for 8 months (Woo hoo) not taken any drugs for ages and exercise loads and eat really well, so I guess I am starting to 'maximise' my life span. I don't really understand people who say that they are wanting to 'enjoy' their life more now... Smoking, drinking etc don't make your life anymore enjoyable IMO. I've lived both kinds of life and I enjoy myself just as much now as I did then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samz)
    i tend to not think about it, whats really the point when i could get hit by a bus tomorrow?? i'd rather live for now.
    im the same

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegetarian and I make a point to eat healthy foods like lentils and chickpeas instead of quorn and cheese all the time like some of my veggie friends do.

I don't really care about maximising my lifespan as long as I can have fun now and enjoy my body while it's young and easier to repair

ReputationRep:
    I want to delay the onset of decay as much as possible. Tbh I'm probably a prime candidate for calorie restriction for life extension when I get a bit older, I have the right mentality for it. Probably not a great thing but I can imagine myself doing it.

That doesn't translate to carefulness now, I cycle like a lunatic.

ReputationRep:
    I honestly am not doing anything for my future self.

I eat a lot of crap, I drink, I smoke and I'm pretty lazy!
    But in all honesty old age doesn't sound all that great, so a few years knocked off surely isn't all that bad?

ReputationRep:
    There's no point in longevity if it's going to be blighted with pain and misery. If I make it to retirement without any problems, then win for me. Any health and good fortune past that is a blessing.

I don't actively do anything to maximise my life span. The only things of note might be that I'm a vegetarian, don't smoke, have no prevalent health problems, recently cut out junk food and started reading ingredients (partially loser, partially because I suspect I'm anaemic and can't stay awake more than 6 hours), get my 5 a day and have taken to drinking green tea and eating unsalted cashew nuts (natures vitamin!).

That said, my grandmother smoked like a chimney for most of her life and was fit as a fiddle until 81. She literally just died one day with no warning (probably due to a smoking-related clogged artery), but there was nothing wrong with her before. Awful for the family, but that's the way I want to go.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.