Turn on thread page Beta

A lot of people might regard me as boring and I can slightly accept that I'm a bit boring but I'm just really annoyed at the level of immaturity of people that are my age.

Next year I'll be going to college and I'm hoping things will be than they were in secondary school. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything wrong with talking about games or silly things but just not all the time! It would just be nice to find some people who you could have a proper conversation with (for example things going on in the world) and have debates about whatever.

I'm 16 and it seems as though I have to conform to misbehaving and getting drunk every night but that's just not me. I realise I'm making myself seem no fun but I do like going out with friends to parties and stuff just not really big ones or ones that I don't know anyone there - I'm more at home with a few close friends, just hanging out.

So, can you only find more mature people like this at uni or is it possible at college/sixth form? I'm going to a grammar school and I don't want to generalise but I am hoping that more mature people would go there as it wasn't an easy process to get into the school. I've read books and many talk about back in the days when they were at university when they had many friends to talk to about all these different things and that's nice to know but I want to know if there are people (and not 1 or 2 out of a million) like that earlier on.

ReputationRep:
    You can find these people at college too
    going to college i found people change and seem to grow up abit.... there are of course exceptions

maybe join some of the college's clubs/societys ? do things outside of college ? may get to know people with similar interests

Cant answer the question about uni as im not there yetttt but it seems from what ive heard and experienced people change throughout the transition from school to college, and college to uni....

Chin up

ReputationRep:
    There are some douchebags even at uni.

ReputationRep:
    you're young, you'll find your place in the world.

By rough generalisation in my old school it was usually the ones that were too busy getting drunk on street corners that never made it as far as taking A levels.

ReputationRep:
    Currently in an IT System support diploma at my College and it seems people reverse and become more immature; I can't find anyone who has interests outside of computers, games and drinking. Coversations resolve around the 3 listed interests and usually end off with people ****ging each off and bragging in order to try and gain some man points (or so they think).

Well, that or my friends from secondary school were very mature and sophisticated. :yes:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.