Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i've opened my student account at Natwest recently, and was wondering when i get my overdraft
    is it just when i go in a talk to them about it?
    or is it at a certain time because it's a student account?

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for the overdraft from 20th August (so results day). That's what the woman in the bank told me yesterday when I was asking her why the online form hasn't asked me to mail off ID documents (only student status confirmation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orionmoo)
    You can apply for the overdraft from 20th August (so results day). That's what the woman in the bank told me yesterday when I was asking her why the online form hasn't asked me to mail off ID documents (only student status confirmation).
    oh ok then thats good then thanks
    do you know when we can get our railcards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bec..)
    oh ok then thats good then thanks
    do you know when we can get our railcards?
    not sure. Search the official Natwest 2009 thread. I think it tells you how/when to get them in the welcome pack. I have yet to receive mine, however, so I cannot tell you myself.

ReputationRep:
    yeah, my welcome pack arrived today from them
    in it it has a letter telling you how to apply for the railcard - it's really simple, basically just email them a passport style pic of yourself along with a unique code which is in said pack and that's all you have to do
    love it

ReputationRep:
    You can apply for your OD when your place at university is confimed. So if you have a conditional offer, when you get your results and UCAS and/or your uni send you confirmation of your place.

ReputationRep:
    Word of advice about Natwest.

Go in, book an appointment and get them to do it right in front of your face. Seriously. Saves so much hassle with mail.

ReputationRep:
    you can get your railcard now, the application comes with the welcome pack
    I've got mine already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OiaB)
    Word of advice about Natwest.

Go in, book an appointment and get them to do it right in front of your face. Seriously. Saves so much hassle with mail.
    So true, I didn't book an appointment though I just walked in and joined the queue, everything sorted and all questions answered in half an hour.

ReputationRep:
    Haven't you got to be a confirmed student before opening a Natwest student account? I thought I'd have to wait until after results day so I have proof that I'm going to uni...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redpanda91)
    Haven't you got to be a confirmed student before opening a Natwest student account? I thought I'd have to wait until after results day so I have proof that I'm going to uni...
    Natwest and RBS appear (to the best of my knowledge) to be banks which allow you to apply with a conditional offer. Halifax and Barclays (and most likely most other banks) require your place to be unconditional, i.e. after results day.

ReputationRep:
    Natwest and RBS appear (to the best of my knowledge) to be banks which allow you to apply with a conditional offer. Halifax and Barclays (and most likely most other banks) require your place to be unconditional, i.e. after results day.
    Oh ok cool, thankyou That means I can go into Natwest whenever. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Lies, I got to apply with a conditional offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gaara.)
    Lies, I got to apply with a conditional offer.
    I'm only saying what I've been told. I went in to halifax a few weeks ago, she took my conditional offer letter to someone and they said no it has to be an unconditional offer.
    Barclays always tell me over the counter "after you've received your results you can upgrade to a student account, but it's best to stay on the young person's account for now".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaytee.)
    you can get your railcard now, the application comes with the welcome pack
    I've got mine already
    This! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm only saying what I've been told. I went in to halifax a few weeks ago, she took my conditional offer letter to someone and they said no it has to be an unconditional offer.
    Barclays always tell me over the counter "after you've received your results you can upgrade to a student account, but it's best to stay on the young person's account for now".
    You can apply for a student account before results come out, but they won't send you a debit card or provide you with an overdraft until your place is guaranteed. Before that, you have to make do with a Solo card and no overdraft. It is a student account in name, but in practice none of the benefits become available until your place is confirmed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dionysus)
    You can apply for a student account before results come out, but they won't send you a debit card or provide you with an overdraft until your place is guaranteed. Before that, you have to make do with a Solo card and no overdraft. It is a student account in name, but in practice none of the benefits become available until your place is confirmed.
    Where's this at? Both Halifax and Barclays provide Visa Debit cards. I could understand them providing a Visa Electron may be if you are still 17... Unless you're on about Natwest, in that case why are you quoting my reply

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.