Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! Good luck to all those getting their Scottish exam results today! If anyone has just missed their grades all be on here throughout the day to provide advice on the clearing process. I'll also be on the official SQA Results 2009 thread. If you have any questions give me a shout or PM me!

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it will matter that the course I want to get on through clearing is totally unrelated to the original course I applied for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeeLee)
    Do you think it will matter that the course I want to get on through clearing is totally unrelated to the original course I applied for?
    Not in many cases PeeLee but I suppose it depends on what the courses are and if they have any specific entrance requirements. What were you thinking of doing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aberdeen Clearing)
    Not in many cases PeeLee but I suppose it depends on what the courses are and if they have any specific entrance requirements. What were you thinking of doing?
    I'd like to change from doing a Business course to doing Building Surveying.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to change from doing a Business course to doing Building Surveying.
    Well I think in the majority of cases this would be fine. Certainly at Aberdeen Uni it would not be a problem as we don't ask for any specific subjects for these courses. Best to check with the individual Universities to be certain :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I emailed Northumbria this morning asking if I could still be considered for a place should the course go into clearing whilst i am waiting to be released from my firm choice and they replied saying contact us once clearing begins and we will see which isn't very helpful but I suppose it's all they can say right now.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed Northumbria this morning asking if I could still be considered for a place should the course go into clearing whilst i am waiting to be released from my firm choice and they replied saying contact us once clearing begins and we will see which isn't very helpful but I suppose it's all they can say right now.
    There's not much else they can do until the 20th August. Hopefully it will work out for you. Just make sure you don't release your firm offer until you get confirmation from Northumbria.

ReputationRep:
    So i can wait for Northumbria to say yes you have a place in clearing before even contacting my firm?
    I was going to see if the course went into clearing then contact my firm straight away, which actually sounds quite risky and rather dumb now.

ReputationRep:
    So i can wait for Northumbria to say yes you have a place in clearing before even contacting my firm?
    I was going to see if the course went into clearing then contact my firm straight away, which actually sounds quite risky and rather dumb now.
    PeeLee,

Sorry for not replying yesterday but I got caught up on the phones! Yes you can get contact the Universities in clearing first to get an offer before contacting your firm choice to release you. That's the way I would do it as you would still have the safety net of your business course. Hope that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    I also have a question.

I missed my firm offer by underperforming massively in my exams, and don't have an insurance because I had a change of heart over my course and went through extra. I did quite badly, I was predicted AABB but only got a C for Geography, D for Advanced English, and a B for History.

Aberdeen still have vacancies for the MA in History. I like History and it was my best subject, so you can see my thinking here. What I want to know is how lenient Aberdeen are with entry requirements in clearing. Will my Advanced Higher count for more? And will my passion for the subject make up for the lack of educational attainment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Henry JW)
    I also have a question.

I missed my firm offer by underperforming massively in my exams, and don't have an insurance because I had a change of heart over my course and went through extra. I did quite badly, I was predicted AABB but only got a C for Geography, D for Advanced English, and a B for History.

Aberdeen still have vacancies for the MA in History. I like History and it was my best subject, so you can see my thinking here. What I want to know is how lenient Aberdeen are with entry requirements in clearing. Will my Advanced Higher count for more? And will my passion for the subject make up for the lack of educational attainment?
    To be honest Henry the Aberdeen grades aren't relaxed during clearing process so it may be a struggle. We would really need to know your full results from 5th and 6th year to make a judgment. If you get a chance give us a ring on 01224 273504 and we can go through it with you. It's really only our admissions selectors who get make such a call. Passion for the subject is great and we do take that into account though probably more at the first UCAS application stage as we can see it on your personal statement. Give us a ring and we'll see what we can do or PM me your full results if you prefer and I can advise further.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aberdeen Clearing)
    To be honest Henry the Aberdeen grades aren't relaxed during clearing process so it may be a struggle. We would really need to know your full results from 5th and 6th year to make a judgment. If you get a chance give us a ring on 01224 273504 and we can go through it with you. It's really only our admissions selectors who get make such a call. Passion for the subject is great and we do take that into account though probably more at the first UCAS application stage as we can see it on your personal statement. Give us a ring and we'll see what we can do or PM me your full results if you prefer and I can advise further.
    Thanks I phoned them up a few minutes ago and explained my case. The lady on the other end asked for my phone number so I can be contacted back.

I'm not sure if she'll phone me back only If I'm successful but it's progress at least.

ReputationRep:
    Are the courses that are available put up on results day or sooner?

If I do quite badly in my exams, say one or two grades off my offer, are my chances of getting into Aberdeen through Clearing very low?

Also, I've found this web-page of yours - http://www.abdn.ac.uk/clearing/courses/
    This has two of the courses I'd like to sit, is this list any indication of what will be available in September?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fin001)
    Are the courses that are available put up on results day or sooner?

If I do quite badly in my exams, say one or two grades off my offer, are my chances of getting into Aberdeen through Clearing very low?

Also, I've found this web-page of yours - http://www.abdn.ac.uk/clearing/courses/
    This has two of the courses I'd like to sit, is this list any indication of what will be available in September?

Thanks.
    Hi, that want to say that was for last year,
    'The University of Aberdeen has no clearing or adjustment vacancies for 2010 entry.'

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2010

University open days

1. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  2. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.