Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Daily Mail Sinks to New Lows watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Feminist agenda: Under controversial plans, schoolboys will be taught not to beat their partners or any other female

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0NJZVVOVB

Since when the hell was not beating your wife 'controversial' or 'feminist'? :rolleyes:

It's all part of the Liberal agenda to dominate the world.

ReputationRep:
    From the context, I gathered that the controversy was that there was no time in the curriculum to teach it; not that it's not correct. However, feminist? And at least the Daily Fail is no longer the Daily Heil.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't surprise me.

ReputationRep:
    I think the controversy is about bothering the minds of little kids with stuff like that...
    no-one denies that wife-beating is wrong, but seriously, kids grow up quickly enough anyway, can we not just just let them run around and have fun without trying to educate them about the perils of adulthood the whole time?

ReputationRep:
    how many wife beating 5 year olds are there?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Damn those commie feminists trying to get rid of good old fashioned British institutions like wife-beating. IS NOTHING SACRED TO THESE PEOPLE!?

ReputationRep:
    Lmao I love how they had to find something to be angry about with this proposal, maybe it was a slow news day.

ReputationRep:
    While I can't say I oppose the principle, does it really take any longer to teach everyone that they shouldn't ever assault anyone? What is the advantage of it being gender and situation specific? Or does Harperson not have a problem with women assaulting men outside of relationships? The woman has clearly lost the plot.

ReputationRep:
    Pussy on the pedestal even more

ReputationRep:
    What, so you think abusive relationships are an appropriate subject to teach 5 year-olds about?

The Mail is not saying "Radical Feminists say Wife Beating is Wrong, shock horror, etc..". It is questioning whether it is appropriate to teach it to kids so young, or if it's even a subject for school at all.
    To try to paint it as support for abusive husbands is a massive fail on your part.

ReputationRep:
    God this site really is pathetic the way people blindly look for any reason to critize the Daily Mail, yet at the same time worshipping media like that communist rag the Guardian and the BBC which never report the far right fairly and always jump to immediate, stock conclusions. Most of these left wing idiots on here have probably never read a copy of the Daily Mail in their insignificant little lives and just follow all their other brain-dead, pond life student friends like sheep.

What I find rather desparate is you are taking that quote completely out of context, and yet, if I took a quote from the Qur'an which basically legitiamizes killing gays and infidels, you would call me a racist and say I took the quote out of context - double standards much? Harriet Harmam hardly needs protecting anyway, only a few days ago she claimed that women were basically the superior sex and that British politics would be nowhere without them. Hypocritical theiving *****, I hate her with a passion.

ReputationRep:
    Because it's effectively indoctrination. Sure, let them know that wife-beating is a bad thing, and shouldn't happen, but let them learn this naturally, or from their parents. Kids don't understand such issues, it's no job of the state to tell them anything.

Edit: You'll find that every newspaper interprets facts in accordance to their ideological standpoint. They provide a window into the world. There's a difference between fact and speculation. It doesn't matter whether or not the glass is dirty, as long as that on the other side is left pristine (i.e. as long as the facts aren't fiddled).

ReputationRep:
    Well I think it would make sense to tell them not to beat up anyone. If you focus too much on telling them not to hit girls, they might get the wrong idea and think it's fine to hit other boys.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Because it's effectively indoctrination. Sure, let them know that wife-beating is a bad thing, and shouldn't happen, but let them learn this naturally, or from their parents. Kids don't understand such issues, it's no job of the state to tell them that they must refrain from certain actions.
    Unfortunately, this message just isn't coming across from certain parents. Of course it shouldn't be necessary to do this, it should be necessary to teach sex education either, but it is.

What's typical of the Mail is that they extrapolate the idea of an anti-domestic violence strand in the curriculum to the idea of rows of five year old boys being forced to write "I must not hit my future wife" in their own blood.

EDIT: I've re-read the article. The passage the mail objects to:

"The most eye-catching proposal in the document is the one to force schools to introduce statutory lessons in 'educating children and young people about healthy, nonviolent relationships'."

Well, this could equally mean telling girls about early signs of abusive relationships, couldn't it? They're really making a fuss over nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daily Heil)
    The most eye-catching proposal in the document is the one to force schools to introduce statutory lessons in 'educating children and young people about healthy, nonviolent relationships'.
    This is the actual proposal, and has nothing to do with teaching 5 year olds about violence in the home.

(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Because it's effectively indoctrination. Sure, let them know that wife-beating is a bad thing, and shouldn't happen, but let them learn this naturally, or from their parents. Kids don't understand such issues, it's no job of the state to tell them anything.

Edit: You'll find that every newspaper interprets facts in accordance to their ideological standpoint. They provide a window into the world. There's a difference between fact and speculation. It doesn't matter whether or not the glass is dirty, as long as that on the other side is left pristine (i.e. as long as the facts aren't fiddled).
    Lo and behold, a person who opposes teaching children not to beat their partners because it is "indoctrination" yet supports the Christian nature of this country and various other BNP policies.

Oh well, fascists aren't often known for intellectual coherency.

ReputationRep:
    Hold on a flinging-flanging moment.

The Daily Mail is questioning whether or not actually bringing such lessons into the classroom is controversial, not the physical act of beating a woman.
    Writers of the Daily Mail, being human, already know that attacking women is unacceptable. They are, however, opposing to such ideals being taught in schools.
    And I agree with them. It shouldn't be taught in schools. We should be focusing on getting pupils to read and write competently and solve even the most basic of sums.
    Lessons on relationships and social conduct should be kept at home and amongst family and peers.

You left-wingers make me giggle. There's nothing wrong with this article. But being wishy-washy liberals you'll take it out of context, twist it and make it something its not - because it comes from a conservative, or right-winged source.

ReputationRep:
    Daily Mail and Harriet Harman in the same thread

yay!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Antonia87)
    Hold on a flinging-flanging moment.

The Daily Mail is questioning whether or not actually bringing such lessons into the classroom is controversial, not the physical act of beating a woman.
    Writers of the Daily Mail, being human, already know that attacking women is unacceptable. They are, however, opposing to such ideals being taught in schools.
    And I agree with them. It shouldn't be taught in schools. We should be focusing on getting pupils to read and write competently and solve even the most basic of sums.
    Lessons on relationships and social conduct should be kept at home and amongst family and peers.

You left-wingers make me giggle. There's nothing wrong with this article. But being wishy-washy liberals you'll take it out of context, twist it and make it something its not - because it comes from a conservative, or right-winged source.
    I don't think I'm twisting it, I think it's a fairly hysterically-written piece trying to link what the government is doing to promote "healthy, non-violent relationships" (that is all this article is based on, after all) to Harriet Harman and a proposed feminist agenda to repress men.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.