Turn on thread page Beta

PS ADVICE - should i mention i was inspired by grandpa who's a doctor?? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    hey,

I am thinking about writing my personal statement for medicine, and i want to start by saying how i was inspired by my grandpa who's a doctor in china and so became interested in the career and as i grew up, i did more research into it by undertaking work exp and volunteer work etc

is this a good idea? just cos there seems to be a taboo about mentioning family members being doctors, but this is genuinly how i became very interested in becoming a doctor......

any advice is greatly appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't see no reason why not. Suppose it depends on how you phrase the finial piece.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wouldnt..... a few of my interviews were group interviews and people were ripped to pieces when they said this as it made them sound like they were just " following the family trade..." if you are going to, make sure you emphasise that you do know what your letting yourself into and its your OWN interest.... you could maybe say that that's what inspired you in the beginning... but expand on points about your work experience and voluntary work... what kinda work you did and what strengths and knowledge you learnt and how this could be applied throughout your course....

i could babble for ages about it

pm if you want any advice.... i cant say for certain it'll be entirely useful but ill give it my best shot !

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't, but you can talk about it at interview if you want.

ReputationRep:
    right thanks alot guys!!

another question, should i talk about some of the negatives i found during my work experience e.g. having to deal with uncooperative patients and families who are not appreciative of your help, the long and unflexible hours etc

I will also talk about the good points obviously

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Of course you should talk about both the negatives and positives, it shows you're aware. I don't think I had an interview where they didn't ask about hte negative aspect of becoming a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    re: mentioning your grandpa who inspired you
    I think you can make this work very well and I've seen statements where it does and where it definitely doesn't. The important thing is not to imply any pressure or ideas of following the family tradition but to make sure you show you have a realistic understanding of what it involves and still want to do it.

re: positives and negatives
    Definitely talk about both, it shows a better understanding of medicine and the career, the stresses etc and you can talk about why you still want to be a doctor despite the disadvantages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunzy)
    right thanks alot guys!!

another question, should i talk about some of the negatives i found during my work experience e.g. having to deal with uncooperative patients and families who are not appreciative of your help, the long and unflexible hours etc

thanks
    Don't spend too much time on the negatives though - especially if they criticise the system too overtly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunzy)
    right thanks alot guys!!

thanks
    Ok...

You were interested in medicine cause your uncle worked as a doctor in china

You didn't really know what a career in medicine involved

So you decided to do some work experience

You now know that there are some negatives to being a doctor

But that the work experience only made you even more keen on becoming a doctor and you weren't put off by the negatives...

:cool: You know what, with all these medical threads....maybe instead of a PS helper. TSR should just write the personal statements...

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I think that sounds like a good Idea, Also turn negatives into a positves or dont mention negatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    re: mentioning your grandpa who inspired you
    I think you can make this work very well and I've seen statements where it does and where it definitely doesn't. The important thing is not to imply any pressure or ideas of following the family tradition but to make sure you show you have a realistic understanding of what it involves and still want to do it.

re: positives and negatives
    Definitely talk about both, it shows a better understanding of medicine and the career, the stresses etc and you can talk about why you still want to be a doctor despite the disadvantages.
    i think this is the best advice.

OP, i would love to be able to put something as interesting in as about my grandad being a doctor and china and as it really did inspire you then i think you would be stupid not to include it as what made you interested in the first place and then just go on and emphasise how you arent just 'following the family trade' and that your decision to study medicine is a well informed one and then include the negatives of doctoring and then say how you'll cope with these / why you still want to be a doctor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    Ok...

You were interested in medicine cause your uncle worked as a doctor in china

You didn't really know what a career in medicine involved

So you decided to do some work experience

You now know that there are some negatives to being a doctor

But that the work experience only made you even more keen on becoming a doctor and you weren't put off by the negatives...

:cool: You know what, with all these medical threads....maybe instead of a PS helper. TSR should just write the personal statements...

:rolleyes:
    erm well that was kinda the basic structure of my personal statement....but the way you've put it makes it seems abit cliche and fake now......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bunzy)
    erm well that was kinda the basic structure of my personal statement....but the way you've put it makes it seems abit cliche and fake now......
    my bad...i just made a summary of all the posts :p:

Obviously, your going to expand and tweak it....but hey, i think i just cracked the medical personal statement ...

:cool:

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn't Hygeia know it all create a big Personal Statement thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexis 123)
    Why doesn't Hygeia know it all create a big Personal Statement thread?
    Hygeia know it all? charming :rolleyes:

A big personal statement questions and advice thread will be appearing shortly, once I'm back with proper internet access.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.