Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Scared about Pregnancy watch

Announcements

So me and my girlfriend are both 18, we've been seeing each other for a couple of months and had sex for the first time on monday night/tuesday morning. She's been on the pill for a while hoever missed a pill early in the pack and missed one last week. After reading that the pill should still be effective we didnt use any other form of contraception. In the morning though we both got a bit worried and so booked an appointment as soon as possible with the doctor which happened to be wednesday morning, just over 24hrs after we had sex. The doctor advised her taking the morning after pill which she did.
    I'm now terrified about her being pregnant. The effectiveness of the morning after pill seems to vary but it seems that it is fairly reliable. On top of this she only missed the pill rather than not using it at all so the chances of it should be relatively small but despite this im still terrified. I'm normally a bit of a worrier but this has shocked me so much whilst she doesnt seem too concerned. She told me last night that she doesnt think she could get rid of a baby, however im not at all ready to be a father. And im certain that having a baby would ruin our relationship as well as our lives. Does this mean i wasnt ready for sex? There are so many thoughts running through my head and I just dont know what to do... I don't even know why im posting this because there's nothing i can do about the situation but i think sometimes it just feels good to talk about it Has anyone been in my situation that can give some advice? thankyou

ReputationRep:
    I think wanting to have sex is a very different kind of maturity to wanting to have a baby. You both agreed that it was the right time in your relationship.

The other issue here is whether she's preganant or not, and there's no need worrying until you have all the facts and can make an informed decision together. I know it's difficult having to wait, I've been there myself. Could you get her to do a pregnancy test in the mean time? It's always worth doing so you can give yourself enough time to make important decisions if it comes to it. Hope everything works out for you.

ReputationRep:
    Try not to worry, stress can delay your period. I have read that taking the morning after pill whilst on the contraceptive pill can affect the bleed you experience from the normal pill break. Take a pregnancy test in 2 weeks time just to make sure if you still have some concerns. Also remember a lot of period related symptoms are very similar to early pregnancy ones so don't visit any parenting/pregnancy websites because you will only convince yourself you are parents to be.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't think you have that much to be concerned about, she took the morning after pill relatively quickly. Basically be a bit more careful with contraception, make sure she takes the pill... and/or use a condom.

ReputationRep:
    From NHS direct:

Standard strength oestrogen - 28 day or Every Day (ED) COC pill

If you are taking Femodene ED, Logynon ED, or Microgynon 30 ED, and you have missed one or two active pills, or any number of the inactive pills (the last seven pills in the pack) you do not need to worry.
    So if she missed 2 pills in the pack and took MAP she should be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Chances of her being pregnant are very small. Either one of the ordinary pill or morning after pill should be enough not to worry, both together and really you absolutly fine

hi thankyou everyone for all your help and advice she had her period today which essentially means shes not pregnant I think it just really shook me how unprepared I would be if she was pregnant, im actually really glad that this happened because i cant ever see myself being irresponsible ever again. Thankyou again for all your help it really helped to reassure me when i was feeling worried

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.