Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I was just wondering what are the best uni's for economics that don't require maths?

I already know about exeter and york and i think loughborough, wha other decent universities are there?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    i know manchester and birmingham are alright, and they just require A at gcse

Most of the good universities that have BSc Economics definitly need maths, some middle univerisities that have BA Economics will not need maths, BA Economics usually means there is not much mathematical content unless it's oxford, durham, scotland universities, and i think there are a couple of other exceptions, exeter you need maths, it is BA for some reason i dont know why

ReputationRep:
    majority of Ba courses excluding oxbridge and durham

birmingham needs a level maths if you want to actually get an offer

for BA Econ at manchester you get a lower offer if you have studied maths at a level, but it is known for people to get offers without having maths a level

ReputationRep:
    Exeter, Southampton, Birmingham, Essex, Sheffield.. those were my 5 choices because I didn't have higher maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FreddySaint)
    Hi,

I was just wondering what are the best uni's for economics that don't require maths?

I already know about exeter and york and i think loughborough, wha other decent universities are there?

thanks
    TAELT 2010 gives the Math requirement status for all UK Univeristies.
    (see my sig for the link).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    Most of the good universities that have BSc Economics definitly need maths, some middle univerisities that have BA Economics will not need maths, BA Economics usually means there is not much mathematical content unless it's oxford, durham, scotland universities, and i think there are a couple of other exceptions, exeter you need maths, it is BA for some reason i dont know why
    Incorrect. You don't need Maths for the standard BA Economics at Exeter. You need it for BA Economics with Econometrics now (don't think this used to be the case - I didn't actually apply for that course though, changed before results).
    You need an A at GCSE, that's all.
    I don't think Exeter's BA is much different to a BSc at other universities. The structure is fairly odd, though. We have BA Business Economics for the less mathematically inclined.

ReputationRep:
    Ive applied for economics but also hate maths, Leicester entry requirements for BA Economics L100 are ABB, with a grade B in GCSE MAths.

MAnchester Uni you need AAB, grade B in GCSE MAths for the same course

if you haven't got at least a grade B in GCSE MAths you probs wont get into a half decent uni
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Incorrect on the point of Exeter; you only need GCSE Mathematics at grade A.

Also, I am sceptical as to exactly how mathematical the courses are at Durham and in Scotland. I know for certain the level of econometrics covered is very limited, and additionally in the cases of the Scottish universities (except for Edinburgh which only this year has started to require AS/A-Level Maths), they only require GCSE Maths, and Durham only requires AS-Level Maths.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    birmingham needs a level maths if you want to actually get an offer
    Incorrect. While having AS/A-Level Maths is certainly a boost to your application, they do indeed accept people with GCSE Maths at grade A. What you've said implies you won't get an offer unless you have A-Level Maths which simply isn't true.

(On arrival students are put into two different streams, those with A-Level Maths and those without.)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Sam...)
    Exeter, Southampton, Birmingham, Essex, Sheffield.. those were my 5 choices because I didn't have higher maths.
    At Southampton, for BSc Economics, you need at least AS-Level Maths. Your course, however, doesn't require it since it is administered by the Politics and International Relations Division.

ReputationRep:
    Just because an economics programme includes a course titled "Econometrics", doesnt imply that program is "very mathematical".

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham uni dosen't require A level maths to do straight up economics and you can do either the BA or BSc depending on what moduals you take regardless of A level maths

ReputationRep:
    i got offer from bham without a level maths, predicted AAA though, ict, geog and eco

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.