Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about going through clearing and one of my options may be Aberdeen. However, I know absolutely nothing about Aberdeen as it wasn't originally one of my options. What is it like academically? Socially? What's the campus like? The city? The lecturers? Anything and everything helps, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afua12)
    I'm thinking about going through clearing and one of my options may be Aberdeen. However, I know absolutely nothing about Aberdeen as it wasn't originally one of my options. What is it like academically? Socially? What's the campus like? The city? The lecturers? Anything and everything helps, thank you!
    I'm going there in September but its a really nice city!
    From what I've heard theres a great student feel in the city and has a good social scene.

ReputationRep:
    Their is no substitute for coming to visit. Admittedly I kinda took a punt as I hadn't really seen the city before I accepted my offer but I like it here. If you have time hop on a bus up here or something. Your obviously in Scotland if you have your results back so it's not that far away really.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...ty_of_Aberdeen

That tells you a bit about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keeno89)
    Their is no substitute for coming to visit. Admittedly I kinda took a punt as I hadn't really seen the city before I accepted my offer but I like it here. If you have time hop on a bus up here or something. Your obviously in Scotland if you have your results back so it's not that far away really.
    I would like to visit before I thought about applying, but I won't be able to - I actually live just outside of London and it would take about 8 hours and $150 to get there :p: I took the IB so I got my results about a month ago.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to visit before I thought about applying, but I won't be able to - I actually live just outside of London and it would take about 8 hours and $150 to get there :p: I took the IB so I got my results about a month ago.
    Megabus is £20 each way. Night buses too. No need for a hotel. I make that £40 or about $70-$80. Fair enough you may not like being on the bus for so long though!

ReputationRep:
    Your questions aren't particularly specific, and I'm too tired to give a particularly lengthy answer.

Academically I've never had any problems but as with any uni it depends on which subjects you want to do.

Socially, we're lacking a union but we've just had a state of the art sports centre built just off campus. We've got a pub just off campus that appears to have become the unofficial union, and tbh we don't really need one, there's so many bars and places to go in town.

The city itself has everything you need pretty close together. The city centre is about 20 mins away from uni and there are 3 shopping centres in close proximity. Another one is due to open not far away in November-ish which will have a lot more shops that we don't have here already. We have all the main stores like New Look, Topshop, H&M, Next, etc etc etc. We've also got some retail parks.

The campus is beautiful in parts. King's College is stunning, as is New Kings, but the McRobert building is fugly, for example. The main parts of the campus are beautiful. It's not really a large campus, you can cross it in 10-15 mins. We've also got the Hub which houses the students association, careers service, a massive dining hall that serves all kind of food, and some shops (Subway, second hand bookshop, corner shop type thing).

And the weather isn't half as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

ReputationRep:
    What I've seen of Aberdeen was really nice. And doesn't it snow in the winter? I like the snow.

ReputationRep:
    Megabus is £20 each way. Night buses too. No need for a hotel. I make that £40 or about $70-$80. Fair enough you may not like being on the bus for so long though!
    ah, I don't know about megabuses. I just had a quickly look at trains and flights and they were all really expensive. (and sorry, I was thinking in pounds, it's just that my keyboard somehow got set onto the american version and my pound sign button comes up like this "#" so I use the dollar sign)

ReputationRep:
    I believe Aberdeen is held in quite high regard academically. Though it's often over looked by prospective students due to its lower entry requirements.

Known especially for Medicine and Engineering.

I'm not going to Aberdeen so ..unbiased.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatone)
    What I've seen of Aberdeen was really nice. And doesn't it snow in the winter? I like the snow.
    It's snows in Donside. I think there is less snow cause of Aberdeen's close proximity to the sea.

ReputationRep:
    I think Aberdeen is a hidden gem amongst Scottish Universities. It has low entry requirements but there are factors for this that don't relate to academic excelence (distance from everywhere else being a big factor). It has a pretty campus, even with a few bogging buildings, but every university has these. If you can't visit, you could try streetview to get an idea what the place looks like? I know its no substitute, but if all else fails....

Oh, and it scored pretty well in the student satisfaction survey:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8187742.stm

ReputationRep:
    About entrance, am I right in thinking that they have higher grade standards for courses to counteract the low entrance requirements? i.e. is it more difficult to get a first at Aberdeen than it is at Dundee, Glasgow or Edinburgh?

While someone mentioned medicine, isn't Aberdeen the first of the Scottish universities to introduce a four year graduate BDS course? I would be interested to see if they were considering introducing a four year graduate MBChB...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zedd)
    About entrance, am I right in thinking that they have higher grade standards for courses to counteract the low entrance requirements? i.e. is it more difficult to get a first at Aberdeen than it is at Dundee, Glasgow or Edinburgh?

While someone mentioned medicine, isn't Aberdeen the first of the Scottish universities to introduce a four year graduate BDS course? I would be interested to see if they were considering introducing a four year graduate MBChB...
    They kinda have that already. Medical Science graduates from Aberdeen go straight to 2nd year if they get accepted. Their are about 12 in my year :p:

ReputationRep:
    They kinda have that already. Medical Science graduates from Aberdeen go straight to 2nd year if they get accepted. Their are about 12 in my year :p:
    Pfft, ruddy biomed graduates :grumble: :shifty: Only playing :p: but it'd be nice if a graduate entry was available for all science graduates.

ReputationRep:
    To answer your question: I just +repped it, so it's slightly higher now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    and tbh we don't really need one, there's so many bars and places to go in town.
    Quite literally, you don't know what you're missing.

ReputationRep:
    How important is an SU anyway? I told some of my friends Aberdeen has no students union and they couldn't believe it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Quite literally, you don't know what you're missing.
    Ignorance is bliss and all that.

ReputationRep:
    Ah it's the company you keep not the places you go. Besides, I'd rather see what they're doing now (sport 'village' and library) than just another place to drink in a city full of places to drink.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.