Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 300mg)
    How important is an SU anyway? I told some of my friends Aberdeen has no students union and they couldn't believe it...
    I'd say it is an unbelievable ****-up, but Aberdeen is still nice and all that.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think it's that big an issue, the old union was pretty crap anyway.

The Hub and Butchart have all the facilities except alcohol... which is only a stones throw away anyway!

ReputationRep:
    A union is good for the social side of things, but Aberdeen has plenty to substitute for that. The only other thing we had in our union was that the events happened there. Again, Aberdeen has accomodated for that. lol.

I'm kinda looking forward to clubs more now... getting tired of going out. lol.

ReputationRep:
    No one used the union anyway. To be fair the Bobbin seems to be a pretty good substitute.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I'd say it is an unbelievable ****-up, but Aberdeen is still nice and all that.
    A massive **** up. It wasn't until I visited the beer bar at GU that I realised what they have missed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    A massive **** up. It wasn't until I visited the beer bar at GU that I realised what they have missed.
    A dark, dank, over-rated bar where rugby players go eat so much rank food and booze that they vomit (and get their name on the wall for the pleasure)?

If theres a Glasgow bar that would show students what their missing, Jim's comes close (being the best of the union bars). But really it's just a bar. Aberdeen's Hub has the same and many more facilities that the Glasgow unions have (combined). The only thing missing is a bar. And theres the obligatory on campus scream pub to substitute it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by audiograffiti)
    A dark, dank, over-rated bar where rugby players go eat so much rank food and booze that they vomit (and get their name on the wall for the pleasure)?

If theres a Glasgow bar that would show students what their missing, Jim's comes close (being the best of the union bars). But really it's just a bar. Aberdeen's Hub has the same and many more facilities that the Glasgow unions have (combined). The only thing missing is a bar. And theres the obligatory on campus scream pub to substitute it.
    The Hub isn't remotely like a Union. I is only open until what time? 8pm? It doesn't have a bar, it doesn't have a nightclub, it doesn't have enough space to house societies and events. It doesn't have anything union-like at all really.

The GUU is an impressive building which accommodates all of those things, providing a real 'space' for students - operated and run for them, and bringing student services together. It's no surprise that the Students' Association elections are so insignificant at Aberdeen.

(Original post by smellslikemarmite)
    No one used the union anyway. To be fair the Bobbin seems to be a pretty good substitute.
    That's because it was a union in name only and also due to the fact that it was bloody distant from the university itself. The Gallowgate Union did well back when teaching still went on at Marischal.

Like I say, I think a lot of you are missing the point in a Union. It's not just a bar.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, I've been to the SU at Queens Belfast and it's really nice. It is a bit disappointing that Aberdeen won't have one - the one at Queens is impressive. It houses concerts too, even Funeral For a Friend played there a year or two ago. Along with a shop, nice communal area for coffee and all that gaff, it's a shame Aberdeen students miss out.

Drink is cheap as chips too.

ReputationRep:

Beer bar - dark, cosy, lively bar that can hold all your mates and serves cheap drink. Sounds about right to me. :dontknow: You go there because you know what its like. If I wanted a quiet old fashioned pub and a nice pint then Aragon, Tennants and Halt it is. It's what you're looking for that really matters so weeeesssht.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    The Hub isn't remotely like a Union. I is only open until what time? 8pm? It doesn't have a bar, it doesn't have a nightclub, it doesn't have enough space to house societies and events. It doesn't have anything union-like at all really.

The GUU is an impressive building which accommodates all of those things, providing a real 'space' for students - operated and run for them, and bringing student services together. It's no surprise that the Students' Association elections are so insignificant at Aberdeen.
    The GUU being an impressive building is deciving. Mostly because food hall aside the only bar in the old bit is the beer bar, everything else is in the extension. The Subway in the GUU being open later is the only service I remember being open past 8pm, the food court, the shop and everything that isn't a bar closes fairly early too.

With regards to a nightclub, I remember in my later years at Glasgow the Hive was nicknamed the HIV. It is no competition for other Glaswegian clubs.

Student services at large are organised through the SRC (Glasgow's equivelant to AUSA). Glasgow's union membership does its best to encourage exclusion from the student comminity, not inclusion.

With election involvement, unless there has been a stupendus surge in the last 12 months, I remember an election getting 180 votes and the SRC president saying what a good turn out it was, out of 20K+ students?

ReputationRep:
    The GUU being an impressive building is deciving. Mostly because food hall aside the only bar in the old bit is the beer bar, everything else is in the extension. The Subway in the GUU being open later is the only service I remember being open past 8pm, the food court, the shop and everything that isn't a bar closes fairly early too.

With regards to a nightclub, I remember in my later years at Glasgow the Hive was nicknamed the HIV. It is no competition for other Glaswegian clubs.

Student services at large are organised through the SRC (Glasgow's equivelant to AUSA). Glasgow's union membership does its best to encourage exclusion from the student comminity, not inclusion.

With election involvement, unless there has been a stupendus surge in the last 12 months, I remember an election getting 180 votes and the SRC president saying what a good turn out it was, out of 20K+ students?
    Glasgow is unique, I believe, in the UK in having two students' unions. You point out the division between the Union and the SRC - in other Scottish ancients, that division is more or less theoretical these days. Indeed, in Aberdeen the SRC is generally (although not properly) called the Students' Association Council. I would agree that the Glasgow situation is, in fact, equally undesirable from a representation and student participation perspective. That said, in 2008 there was a 'poor turn out' of 2200 students for the SRC elections according to the GU Guardian, which is about 1 in 10. It more than doubles though for the Rectorial election.

Try as I might, I simply cannot find equivalent figures for Aberdeen online.

ReputationRep:
    I think Aberdeen is a hidden gem amongst Scottish Universities. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8187742.stm
    I agree Nicely put.

ReputationRep:
    I think Aberdeen is a hidden gem amongst Scottish Universities.
    I agree Nicely put.

ReputationRep:
    I've never stayed there, but I have visited and know many people there but it seems to be a mix between city and country, i really like it and cant wait to get there in septmeber, hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I'm going into my 4th (and final) year at Aberdeen, and have to say I really enjoy it...yes, we don't have a student union, but there's so many bars, plus the hub, etc, that we don't really need one that badly...

The Uni itself is perfect because it's not smack bang in the centre of town, but close enough to walk to, there's excellent shopping and entertainment (Billy Connolly is playing at the Music Hall next month - sold out, obviously), etc.

It's also quite a small university, very social and I've found all the staff I've dealt with to be really helpful - some even going above and beyond the call of duty to help me out.

I work for the university as a student rep, but applied for the job because I wanted to show other people how amazing the uni is - I am really happy I chose to study here. Aside from everything else I've mentioned, the university also has a really, really good reputation with graduate employers, plus there's a lot of help available for those looking for jobs, how to improve employability, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WolfSong2000)
    It's also quite a small university, very social and I've found all the staff I've dealt with to be really helpful - some even going above and beyond the call of duty to help me out.
    Its huge! Well compared to Abertay :P
    So its not too big? I was afraid I'd get totally lost... I managed that in Abertay where the whole uni is in one building :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura_f_1990)
    Its huge! Well compared to Abertay :P
    So its not too big? I was afraid I'd get totally lost... I managed that in Abertay where the whole uni is in one building :yep:
    Campus is quite easy to get around. It's inside the buildings tying to find lecture theatres for the first time it gets confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keeno89)
    Campus is quite easy to get around. It's inside the buildings tying to find lecture theatres for the first time it gets confusing.
    So i'll get lost... XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura_f_1990)
    So i'll get lost... XD
    We've been telling you to for ages so why listen now? :p:

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8187742.stm

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.