Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm wanting a bag that will fit A4 folders but really don't want a rucksack. I did get a messenger bag but it was portrait so when it's too heavy it feel as though the weight is all on one side because all the smaller things are just at the bottom. With the normal messenger bags which are landscape, is the weight more even or does it feel like the strap is digging in to your shoulder?

ReputationRep:
    It can feel like the strap is digging in, but only really when I have quite a lot of stuff in mine. I don't know how it compares to a portrait one though, but I do find that things often tend to shift towards one side of the bag if they are smaller things, because it very rarely hangs perfectly horizontally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by obsessivex)
    It can feel like the strap is digging in, but only really when I have quite a lot of stuff in mine. I don't know how it compares to a portrait one though, but I do find that things often tend to shift towards one side of the bag if they are smaller things, because it very rarely hangs perfectly horizontally.
    I wouldn't mind a few things shifting as anything would be better than all the things at the bottom. It has got to be one of the most useless bags I have ever bought lol.

ReputationRep:
    If you get a good quality one it shouldnt be a problem.
    I have one by 'Animal' and it has a shoulder support pad on it, which means that even when I have alot of stuff in mine I can never really feel it digging in.

Just as an example (this isnt the bag I have, but it has a similar support strap)

Opt for one like that and it should be fine

ReputationRep:
    I found mine incredibly annoying as it kept hitting against my leg as I walked. It also managed to feel really heavy when there was hardly anything in it. :confused:

I find large handbag-style bags are much more practical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SHABANA)
    I wouldn't mind a few things shifting as anything would be better than all the things at the bottom. It has got to be one of the most useless bags I have ever bought lol.
    Well most come with extra compartments anyway so it's easy enough to stop small things doing that anyway. If you opt for something like a poster above showed, I'm sure that would be a lot more comfortable than a normal one.

ReputationRep:
    I love mine for the first 2 years of uni and going on holiday (bear in mind big group) it was great for folders of travel info - flight confirmations, taxi confirms, terms and conditions etc.

When its heavy it does dig a little bit its got a nice fabric strap not textured so not much, I tend to swing it round so its half on my side/bum lol when its fuller as it reproportions the weight and feels better.

I love love love timbuk2 laptop messenger bags that can hold more weight (though i wouldnt use for laptop), and look great but too expensive for me

ReputationRep:
    I used to have one but swapped it for a 2-strap backpack because it started to really mess up my back and posture carrying weight on one shoulder all the time. I think they're good for carrying light things, but get one with a padded strap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    I love mine for the first 2 years of uni and going on holiday (bear in mind big group) it was great for folders of travel info - flight confirmations, taxi confirms, terms and conditions etc.

When its heavy it does dig a little bit its got a nice fabric strap not textured so not much, I tend to swing it round so its half on my side/bum lol when its fuller as it reproportions the weight and feels better.

I love love love timbuk2 laptop messenger bags that can hold more weight (though i wouldnt use for laptop), and look great but too expensive for me
    That's what I seem to with the one I have now and it does even the weight out lol but then if I have to run for a lecture it swings/smacks against my leg.
    I really want a leather one as it will last but I'm worried about the strap because they never seem to come with a padded bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meltdown30)
    I found mine incredibly annoying as it kept hitting against my leg as I walked. It also managed to feel really heavy when there was hardly anything in it. :confused:

I find large handbag-style bags are much more practical.
    Ditto...i use tote bags, a bit smaller than the picture below.

ReputationRep:
    That's what I seem to with the one I have now and it does even the weight out lol but then if I have to run for a lecture it swings/smacks against my leg.
    I really want a leather one as it will last but I'm worried about the strap because they never seem to come with a padded bit.
    Yeh leather cracks also so in theory it should last but might not, plus a good quality one will cost a lot. Timbuk2 if you have the money, mines a plainish Animal canvas and has lasted years but I admit I carry a folder, notepads and a couple of books then carry chunky textbooks. At UWE when you get to the final year ppl seem to get suitcase because of heavy textbooks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo XD)
    Ditto...i use tote bags, a bit smaller than the picture below.
    Those have always been rubbish for me, dont take as much, digs in more as portrait and always seem to have cheap materials like that in pic so break easy with textbooks/notepads in - folder wouldnt fit.

ReputationRep:
    Those have always been rubbish for me, dont take as much, digs in more as portrait and always seem to have cheap materials like that in pic so break easy with textbooks/notepads in - folder wouldnt fit.
    How big are your folders? :confused: To each her own i suppose...i know what you mean about the material but i always get mine from Pull and Bear so they last a while and they have awesomo designs

ReputationRep:
    Yeh leather cracks also so in theory it should last but might not, plus a good quality one will cost a lot. Timbuk2 if you have the money, mines a plainish Animal canvas and has lasted years but I admit I carry a folder, notepads and a couple of books then carry chunky textbooks. At UWE when you get to the final year ppl seem to get suitcase because of heavy textbooks.
    A suitcase?! Are you serious?
    I don't think I would be putting many textbooks in because most of mine are huge and I would probably topple over if they were in my bag.
    Yeah the leather ones I have seen which would be a good size are around £90 which is too much at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    A suitcase?! Are you serious?
    I don't think I would be putting many textbooks in because most of mine are huge and I would probably topple over if they were in my bag.
    Yeah the leather ones I have seen which would be a good size are around £90 which is too much at the moment.
    Like a small weekend suitcase you pull along, with 6 modules and some with 2 textbooks along with the handbook for each and notepad plus any articles/journals you need to bring in. Plus some textbooks are like 3 normal textbook thick lol so it makes sense but still like very airline stewardessy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodo XD)
    How big are your folders? :confused: To each her own i suppose...i know what you mean about the material but i always get mine from Pull and Bear so they last a while and they have awesomo designs
    Either 1 lever arch folder so about 2/2.5 inches wide or 2 ringbinders which is about the same plus a handbook - about half/three quarters inch a notebook about half an inch then textbooks which can be large then stationary/phone/keys/organiser. Its what you need without a locker - i really think we should get lockers at UWE :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Like a small weekend suitcase you pull along, with 6 modules and some with 2 textbooks along with the handbook for each and notepad plus any articles/journals you need to bring in. Plus some textbooks are like 3 normal textbook thick lol so it makes sense but still like very airline stewardessy.
    Wow I don't think I have ever seen that happening in Leeds! I think I will have more than 6 modules and a textbook for each and a thin handbook too but I don't take my textbooks in every single day. Plus even with all the modules, one folder with dividers should be enough, just taking the notes you might need that day and having the rest at home. That's what I do anyway because there aren't many lockers here neither.

ReputationRep:
    Wow I don't think I have ever seen that happening in Leeds! I think I will have more than 6 modules and a textbook for each and a thin handbook too but I don't take my textbooks in every single day. Plus even with all the modules, one folder with dividers should be enough, just taking the notes you might need that day and having the rest at home. That's what I do anyway because there aren't many lockers here neither.
    I get probably 3/6 modules that require you to bring the textbook often - always for a tutorial, lectures just printouts and notepad is fine but going into 3rd year you have more to do, more to study in between 'classes' rather than going home to do, eg dissertation research. Plus you think of the extra library books for extra research it makes sense to have a big bag/suitcase for that year especially when you have a bad day with like 5 different 'classes' for 3/4 modules then you need crazy amounts of stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I get probably 3/6 modules that require you to bring the textbook often - always for a tutorial, lectures just printouts and notepad is fine but going into 3rd year you have more to do, more to study in between 'classes' rather than going home to do, eg dissertation research. Plus you think of the extra library books for extra research it makes sense to have a big bag/suitcase for that year especially when you have a bad day with like 5 different 'classes' for 3/4 modules then you need crazy amounts of stuff.
    Aah I see. Well, if most of the students do it then I guess it doesn't look odd.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.