Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Starting Out Tutoring- Help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I’m looking to tutor part time private individuals in North London. I have 10 GCSE A grades, two of which are at A*, four As in A-level Math, Economics, History and AS Further Math, and a first class degree in History from Nottingham University. I’ll be tutoring to supplement my income while studying postgrad at SOAS, the University of London.

I’m wondering how the hell to go about finding employment- should I post in a local paper, or join an agency? How much can I realistically expect to earn? I also have a CRB check, wish I assume is fairly useful.

I know I’m in a strong position to find employment, and can expect a fair salary (£20-30/hour?), but I’m really completely clueless about how to get started along this path. I’ll be down in London by the start of September, but wanted to prepare the way before arriving if possible.

Any suggestions appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stevesayskanpai)
    I’m looking to tutor part time private individuals in North London. I have 10 GCSE A grades, two of which are at A*, four As in A-level Math, Economics, History and AS Further Math, and a first class degree in History from Nottingham University. I’ll be tutoring to supplement my income while studying postgrad at SOAS, the University of London.

I’m wondering how the hell to go about finding employment- should I post in a local paper, or join an agency? How much can I realistically expect to earn? I also have a CRB check, wish I assume is fairly useful.

I know I’m in a strong position to find employment, and can expect a fair salary (£20-30/hour?), but I’m really completely clueless about how to get started along this path. I’ll be down in London by the start of September, but wanted to prepare the way before arriving if possible.

Any suggestions appreciated!
    Go onto the careers group website they should have some tutoring vacancies in London and as you are a postgrad you should find something.

Also your university may have a tutoring/mentoring scheme where you go to a local school and tutor/mentor some students. Mine did and was involved in a tutoring scheme where I tutored GCSE Maths for £15phr for 2hrs a day 2-4 times a week

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.