Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am writing my personal statement at the moment and I am struggling with whether to mention and stress on the fact that my parents are both doctors.

I do not want the reader to be mislead into thinking that my parents have influenced my decision to be a doctor in any way because that is certainly not true.

However, my parents have taught me alot, I have spent alot of time working with them and other doctors and I attend conferences with them etc.

Should I mention this or not????:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know as well.. I feel the exact same way - I was advised to include it by one of the advisors here but I don't see the point in including something that's not really true for me I'm probably excluding it myself, though..

In my opinion, you either have it as one of your main points and stress on it, or leave it out completely. I doubt there's much point in casually mentioning it.

Btw, this thread has a very similar question as well as answers that might be helpful.

ReputationRep:
    It seems reasonable enough to mention that you've been working with doctors and have attended (medical?) conferences, but I don't see why you have to say that it was with your parents.

ReputationRep:
    like DrDomDom said.

ReputationRep:
    mention but don't stress - it's more positive than negative. be slyyyyyy with it

ReputationRep:
    If you feel you have to mention it, go from the angle of "I have experienced lots of Medical conferences, as my parents are both ...-" On second thought, leave it out.

ReputationRep:
    If you do, you better come up with a bloody good reason why you're not just following the family business.

ReputationRep:
    Is this sort of thread going to pop up all the time? First parents, then grandparents, what next? Aunts, uncles, cousins, step-parents, room-mates, godparents?

It's your personal statement so you mention what you want as long as you can justify why it strengthens your interest and passion to study Medicine and have a career in the medical profession.

I have a parent and siblings who are Doctors but I didn't find the need to mention this in the personal statement. I'm sure if you've done reams of other stuff academically and non-academically, surely these should be given more space in your personal statement rather than the fact your parents are doctors and this somehow "inspired" you.

However, it could be useful in an itnerview when asked about the question "How do you know you will cope with the stresses of being a doctor?" and you can refer to the fact that you live with doctors and are therefore able to understand first hand what life as a doctor really is like etc.

But I wouldn't advise mentioning it in your PS unless you really have nothing else you can talk about.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with what people have said here. You are your own person, whether your parents are doctors or not shouldn't make a difference. YOu need to sell yourself on your own merits and explain about your experiences. I'd leave it out unless it really has some massive relevance to what you're trying to say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystal Watson)

I do not want the reader to be mislead into thinking that my parents have influenced my decision to be a doctor in any way because that is certainly not true.
    Really? They haven't influenced it at all? Influenced isn't the same as pressurising. Although I wouldn't necessarily put it in your personal statement your exposure to medicine in many ways is a result of them so I would argue it has influenced you...

ReputationRep:
    Don't be silly. As everyone here has said, mention that you went to conferences and helped (work experience). But why would you mention your parents especially when it's you that's applying. If you just nonchalantly add in a little "both my parents are doctors", not only does it hurt to read but also makes you sound a little vain, or at least makes you sound as if your trying to justify an interview because of this.Conversely if you do mention it, your digging yourself a hole for the interview when they ask "Are you sure you haven't been influenced?" etc...

This is just a summary of everyone else! I'm bored!

ReputationRep:
    My parents are doctors too, and I asked my head teacher if I should, she said don't..... But I'l' do it anyway :p:

ReputationRep:
    Say: "A powerful element of my inspiration was my parents, whose field-related jobs gave me precious insight into what being a doctor really involves. This appealed to me a lot, even before my parents had a chance to suggest a career path for me to pursue."

ReputationRep:
    I just don't want to make it sound like I am doing it for my parents because I am not, but they played a major role in making be as familiar with medicine as possible so as to make sure that I made the right decision!

Thank you for all your suggestion!

ReputationRep:
    I decided not to include that, it wouldn't really fit in my PS...

ReputationRep:
    I'd probably leave it out.

There's nothing to gain by actually mentioning it the admissions folk won't be influenced by it....but there could be negative repercussions

Mentioning it might make the interviewers think that your work experience was laid out on a plate for you, or that you're just following the family business

LEAVE IT OUT!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    May as well use the info as you have to declare your parents' occupation earlier in the UCAS form so its not like they won't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crystal Watson)
    I just don't want to make it sound like I am doing it for my parents because I am not, but they played a major role in making be as familiar with medicine as possible so as to make sure that I made the right decision!

Thank you for all your suggestion!
    frankly it doesn't matter much... You dont want your parents to take the credit when in fact you should be taking the credit (even if it isn't exactly the truth). Just say you were shown the medical world, and attended lectures and stuff. Independence and maturity are important. You dont want the uni people to think that your parents arranged everything. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YoSuis)
    I'd probably leave it out.

There's nothing to gain by actually mentioning it the admissions folk won't be influenced by it....but there could be negative repercussions

Mentioning it might make the interviewers think that your work experience was laid out on a plate for you, or that you're just following the family business

LEAVE IT OUT!!!!!!
    I agree very much..

Simply because I read online that if you do get work experience very close to you or at your GP's office there is confidentiality issues and also they may have overlooked many things to give you the place quite easily..

ReputationRep:
    Definitely leave it out. However you express it, it will sound feeble and potentially lay you open to tougher questioning than otherwise.

You need to have found the motivation and insight from within yourself, and from the work experience you have undertaken. Many candidates have medicine in the family, after all. I was totally clear that I would not mention that my parents were doctors at any stage, unless I was put in a position when I would be actually lying if I didn't.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.