Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've read a few posts now on this site referring to the 'wastes of space who just go to uni for the student loans etc'

Is this really true? Are there people out there who do this? Anyone knowof anyone who's done this, and perhaps why?

What is the point of goin to uni just for the loans?

ReputationRep:
    so you can chill on someone elses money for a bit, without worrying about immediate repayment. In the meantime you can work, casually, without much stress, finish your studies unsuccessfully, continue working and earn a team leader position which bumps you up to a massive 8pph...dyurlywandothatnao?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stellatommo20)
    I've read a few posts now on this site referring to the 'wastes of space who just go to uni for the student loans etc'

Is this really true? Are there people out there who do this? Anyone knowof anyone who's done this, and perhaps why?

What is the point of goin to uni just for the loans?
    Really dont understand this .. Why would you go to uni to get yourself in debt?? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LissRules!!)
    Really dont understand this .. Why would you go to uni to get yourself in debt?? :s
    I think most students will get into debt trhoguh lonas etc at uni.

my point was that ive heard of people who go 'just fior the loans' .. so do they not do any course work etc? whats the crack?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, a friend of mine dropped out after first year but didn't tell anyone so he got loans & grant for another year, pointless because he got no spends from the tuition fee loan.

ReputationRep:
    tax dodgers

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way, no one will ever get another loan in their life with such a low interest rate, that you don't even need to pay back unless you get a decent job and which scrubs itself out after 20 years.

A student loan entitles people to an extra 3 years on financial easy street.

ReputationRep:
    you should only go to uni if you're pursuing an interest or career

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stellatommo20)
    I think most students will get into debt trhoguh lonas etc at uni.

my point was that ive heard of people who go 'just fior the loans' .. so do they not do any course work etc? whats the crack?
    Sorry worded that stupidly lol. I know everyone gets into debt but why go and get yourself into debt if your getting nothing out of it? I mean the loans need to be paid back .. right? So why do it if you arent going to try an use the education. Sorry this sounds stupid .. i know what i mean lol.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry worded that stupidly lol. I know everyone gets into debt but why go and get yourself into debt if your getting nothing out of it? I mean the loans need to be paid back .. right? So why do it if you arent going to try an use the education. Sorry this sounds stupid .. i know what i mean lol.
    Maybe because they need a loan and don't want a high interest one that needs to be paid back quickly from a bank?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrinnyUnlimited)
    Put it this way, no one will ever get another loan in their life with such a low interest rate, that you don't even need to pay back unless you get a decent job and which scrubs itself out after 20 years.

A student loan entitles people to an extra 3 years on financial easy street.
    Dear ******* God. The lengths some people will go to for a few thousand pounds appalls me :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Maybe because they need a loan and don't want a high interest one that needs to be paid back quickly from a bank?
    Personally i think if a person needs money so badly they should get off there arse and work hard for it rather than wasting years of their life on free money. But hey thats just my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Personally i think if a person needs money so badly they should get off there arse and work hard for it rather than wasting years of their life on free money. But hey thats just my opinion.
    You don't say!
    I was explaining why some people might go for the student loan option, not saying it's a good thing to do instead of working hard. And there's no such thing as free money. Also, do you think everyone who needs a loan needs to 'get off *their* arse'? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    I certainly know people who have gone for an excuse not to work, drink and smoke pot.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.