Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What do you think is the best way to revise for the LNAT?

I'm looking to buy a LNAT revision book, and if you have done so, which would you recommend?

Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    This one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/LNAT-Masteri...9497773&sr=8-2

I used it and thought it was great! Although it was a bit more difficult than the actual test.

And btw, you can't really "revise" for the LNAT, all you can do it go through lots of sample papers - 5 or 6 of which are provided in this book. There are some on the LNAT site too.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to 'revise' for it.

I suggest that you learn the definitions of the key words in the questions that they ask you because the meaning of the word in the test do not always correspond to how they're commonly used.

ReputationRep:
    i used this book to prepare for my LNAT

Revising for the National Admissions Tests for Law by Mark Shepherd

ReputationRep:
    Despite what others say, buy the revision books and use them. I prepared very thoroughly for the LNAT and it paid off.

However bear in mind it isn't rated by all universities. Didn't get me into Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sulpicia)
    Despite what others say, buy the revision books and use them. I prepared very thoroughly for the LNAT and it paid off.

However bear in mind it isn't rated by all universities. Didn't get me into Cambridge.
    Thanks for all replies, I will buy the Mark Shepherd book.

Can I ask what books you use to revise for the LNAT aswell?

And sorry about not getting into Cambridge, your AS's and GCSE'S were amazing..I am increasingly getting worried about UCAS app this year!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gi.)
    i used this book to prepare for my LNAT

Revising for the National Admissions Tests for Law by Mark Shepherd
    I'm using this at the moment and finding it much harder for some reason than the ones the LNAT website offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silvertongue)
    I'm using this at the moment and finding it much harder for some reason than the ones the LNAT website offers.
    Yeah, I read reviews of this book and it is seen to be harder than the LNAT test but at least you will feel pleasantly surprised for the exam.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone used the Kaplan book? Is it any good?

(Original post by Silvertongue)
    God me too, the passages are way too long!

ReputationRep:
    Is the Mark Sheppard book known to be harder than the real LNAT or is that just a few people's opinions. I am applying to King's, Notts and UCL that take the LNAT. I did the 5th test in the book as my first full test, but i had already done a few questions for practice from other tests, and got a score of 17. This is obviously over the 16 mark needed to prevent an automatic rejection by Kings and possibly UCL and notts, but a few of my answers were guesses from a choice of 2 that could go either way on the day, meaning I could score lower than 16 - making it risky to apply to all 3. So i just want to check is it well known that the Mark Sheppard book is harder or is that just a few people's opinions. Thanks very much.

ReputationRep:
    I actually sat the LNAT today, and I had been using the Mark Shephard book to prepare. But unlike the others I would not recommend it. Both the sections are not true to the actual test in my opinion. The essays he gives are quite similar but the example answers are ridiculous, and besides you have a limit of 750 max ( and even that is considered too much) yet Shephards essays are usually over 1200 words and full of information you couldn't possible know. They don't give a good idea of how it is best to aproach the essay. And although the multiple choice section in his book offers challenging practice tests, I also don't think they are true to the test, in fact he only covers about half of the types of questions you may face in the real exam, this may be because the book was written 4 years ago when the test may have been slightly different. I really don't feel I have gained anything from using the book apart from stamina ( which is quite useful considering you need to maintain a high level of concentration for a reasonable length of time). On the LNAT website, there are now 3 practice tests, these are far more representative, and are likely to give you a better idea of what is involved, If I was you I would save your money and stick to these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wootwootwoot)
    I actually sat the LNAT today, and I had been using the Mark Shephard book to prepare. But unlike the others I would not recommend it. Both the sections are not true to the actual test in my opinion. The essays he gives are quite similar but the example answers are ridiculous, and besides you have a limit of 750 max ( and even that is considered too much) yet Shephards essays are usually over 1200 words and full of information you couldn't possible know. They don't give a good idea of how it is best to aproach the essay. And although the multiple choice section in his book offers challenging practice tests, I also don't think they are true to the test, in fact he only covers about half of the types of questions you may face in the real exam, this may be because the book was written 4 years ago when the test may have been slightly different. I really don't feel I have gained anything from using the book apart from stamina ( which is quite useful considering you need to maintain a high level of concentration for a reasonable length of time). On the LNAT website, there are now 3 practice tests, these are far more representative, and are likely to give you a better idea of what is involved, If I was you I would save your money and stick to these.
    Is the level of difficulty between the Mark Shepherd and the LNAT test relatively similar? If not, how different are they? I'm saving the online practise tests till closer to my exam date, but I am currently using the book which I agree, it does train to build up your concentration skills. (I always find I lose concentration nearer the end of the 80mins..)

Also are the passages from the MS book similar length to those of the actual test?

Thanks for your help, I'm dreading the LNAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apple24)
    Is the level of difficulty between the Mark Shepherd and the LNAT test relatively similar? If not, how different are they? I'm saving the online practise tests till closer to my exam date, but I am currently using the book which I agree, it does train to build up your concentration skills. (I always find I lose concentration nearer the end of the 80mins..)

Also are the passages from the MS book similar length to those of the actual test?

Thanks for your help, I'm dreading the LNAT.
    hmm, It is quite hard to compare difficulty, but I would say the Shepherd book tests are slightly more difficult. But in another way the LNAT tests some skills that Shepherds tests don't really cover. I was getting about 17/18 on the practice test in the book. Then when I did the ones on the website (which I had saved until last like you) I got 14, then I got 22 which was quite weird, but I put the first bad score down to getting used to what the actual LNAT test was like. I was also half asleep at the time which couldn't have helped.
    About the length of the passages. In my real test a couple were as long, but most of them were slightly shorter, but it varies quite a lot. And although the articles are still quite tricky to get your head round, they are not as bad as some of the ones in the Shephard book. If you understand some of the ones in that book, you deserve a medal in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wootwootwoot)
    hmm, It is quite hard to compare difficulty, but I would say the Shepherd book tests are slightly more difficult. But in another way the LNAT tests some skills that Shepherds tests don't really cover. I was getting about 17/18 on the practice test in the book. Then when I did the ones on the website (which I had saved until last like you) I got 14, then I got 22 which was quite weird, but I put the first bad score down to getting used to what the actual LNAT test was like. I was also half asleep at the time which couldn't have helped.
    About the length of the passages. In my real test a couple were as long, but most of them were slightly shorter, but it varies quite a lot. And although the articles are still quite tricky to get your head round, they are not as bad as some of the ones in the Shephard book. If you understand some of the ones in that book, you deserve a medal in my opinion.
    Thanks for your reply! I'm not even getting 17/18 using the MS book which is very worrying...I think I will move onto the online ones soon!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2009
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.