Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girls, have you ever dated someone dumber than you? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Well when you say 'dumber' the guy I dated had dropped out school and joined the army. He had a few GCSEs but no ALevels or anything. We had no problems talking or with conversation or having things in common and he was in no way tedious and tiresome. He wasn't book smart but he wasn't stupid, and he was great fun to be around, not like some of the more 'educated' boys I've dated.

ReputationRep:
    No. I've dated someone who was more intelligent than me or at least he thought he was and he was unbelievably condescending towards me.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah. He wasn't "dumb" per se but he wasn't as intelligent as me. Eventually whenever he talked about something academic I just got irritated because it would be really juvenile. He thought I was arrogant and patronising. He was probably right. All things considered though it wasn't the fact he wasn't intelligent as me that was irritating, it was the fact he couldn't take that fact, at the same time as being a wimp who often wouldn't even put up a fight in a debate. He'd just get in a huff. I don't suppose you're supposed to debate with your boyfriend but whatever.

As long as you're interesting and don't have a huge hang up about it, I don't care whether you're an absolute genius or comparatively normal. To be honest the fact we didn't get on was probably more about personalities than intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Yes. He was boring, didn't understand half of the things I tried to talk to him about, got fed up because I was trying to do school work instead of spending time with him, and his mother thought the sun shone out of his arse.
    This was my exact situation. He was such a dumbass, AND he was clingy and besotted with me. Bluurggh byebye!!

ReputationRep:
    I guess I've dated somebody academically less intelligent, but they weren't stupid if yaknow what I mean, so I didn't really have a problem. Don't think I could date a proper dumb person, especially ones that can't spell :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (hoping this doesn't sound arrogant)...the vast majority of people I've been out with haven't been as clever as me, but I don't really have many intelligent conversations anyway so can't say it's had much of an effect. (Plus I am a person who gets good grades but still appears relatively dense to the outside world anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Yes. He was boring, didn't understand half of the things I tried to talk to him about, got fed up because I was trying to do school work instead of spending time with him, and his mother thought the sun shone out of his arse.
    We may of dated the same guy. lol!
    I'm not joking, my ex's dad used to call him "The Boy Wonder."....

(Original post by weet_ABI_x)
    (hoping this doesn't sound arrogant)...the vast majority of people I've been out with haven't been as clever as me, but I don't really have many intelligent conversations anyway so can't say it's had much of an effect. (Plus I am a person who gets good grades but still appears relatively dense to the outside world anyway)
    Well with a name like yours i wouldn't be surprised if you attracted men with cornflake sized brains :p:

ReputationRep:
    Exclusively.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    i have but he was a beautiful beautiful actor :coma:
    he was very funny, yes. very smart? are you kidding.
    it didnt last but i would have gladly kept him as a sex buddy.

ReputationRep:
    Who do these girls think they are kidding.... Men are smarter than women... you just think you're smarter.

reading feminist literature doesn;t make you smart it just makes you a ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emikoo)
    We may of dated the same guy. lol!
    I'm not joking, my ex's dad used to call him "The Boy Wonder."....
    Haha, the mother of my ex was just a freak. Didn't want me to go out with him because I didn't speak Welsh, despite the fact that at the time I was taking three language GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    No, would just bore me not being able to have the same conversations I would have with someone of equal intelligence.

ReputationRep:
    By definition that scenario isn't physically possible.

ReputationRep:
    my most recent bf of 5 years (who is now an EX) was very stupid, academically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisha.doshi)
    :rofl: Maybe he just lacks general knowledge?
    He isn't so good in the pub quiz. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I once dated a girl who couldn't tell the time. I kind you not. It was hell.

Never again.

My current girlfriend is awesome, though

ReputationRep:
    Males that are dumber than girls?

Don't be ridiculous OP.

ReputationRep:
    I have yes, and he was incredibly dumb. I can't remember specific situations, but he was the dumbest guy I dated. He failed all his GCSE's shortly after we broke up...

ReputationRep:
    Why are you gloating over this? Personality is more important.

However it is important to me that my future husband is smarter then me for the kids :p:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.