Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Accommodation costs more than maintenance loan? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm only getting the basic £3500-ish maintenance loan and my accommodation alone is over £4000. Probably a really stupid question but how do I pay for the extra 500? Do I just give an extra cheque when I arrive at the uni or what?

ReputationRep:
    you wont pay it all in one block ( unless you really want to )
    time to start job huntinggg to cover them extra costs :/

ReputationRep:
    You get a job.

ReputationRep:
    I think you pay about a third each term but then you also get paid a third of your loan each term too. What about your maintenance grant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorafdfs)
    You get a job.
    this.

I'm in the same situation. Got some money saved up to last me a while and hopefully getting a job up there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorafdfs)
    You get a job.
    Obviously, but I'm asking literally how do I pay, not how do I get the money.

ReputationRep:
    Choose cheaper accomodation? Start saving?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sigstuff)
    I think you pay about a third each term but then you also get paid a third of your loan each term too. What about your maintenance grant?
    I dont think I get one. In my letter from Student finance it says I just get the maintenance loan and the tuition fees. Not grants or anything.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Accomm. fees don't go straight to the Uni; you pay them yourself.

For example, when I was in my first year, my loan & grant would come in, I'd walk over to the Student Centre and pay by cheque or card.

You pay it each term. If you get into financial difficulties, the Uni has a fund that can help you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleed)
    I dont think I get one. In my letter from Student finance it says I just get the maintenance loan and the tuition fees. Not grants or anything.
    I think somone else said they only had the two figures on the letter but others said that they would get paid the grant too Ring them up and ask?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)

For example, when I was in my first year, my loan & grant would come in, I'd walk over to the Student Centre and pay by cheque or card.

You pay it each term. If you get into financial difficulties, the Uni has a fund that can help you.
    Ahhh, that makes sense, so then I just write one cheque for that term which covers it. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice_Queen)

Yeah this.
    Some unis also allow you to pay by direct debit so they take it straight out of your bank account, plus I'm guessing you'd have a student account with an overdraft if you need it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleed)
    I'm only getting the basic £3500-ish maintenance loan and my accommodation alone is over £4000. Probably a really stupid question but how do I pay for the extra 500? Do I just give an extra cheque when I arrive at the uni or what?
    im in the same boat my accomodation :yes: im going to be 400 over my loan, (going to the university of beds hopefully ) the only way that i can afford it is thanks to my parents who are giving me a bit extra , i think when u there ull have to pay the extra by a cheque im gonna phone when i have my defo offer so i know wat im meant to be doing.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by sleed)
    Ahhh, that makes sense, so then I just write one cheque for that term which covers it. Thank you!
    That's quite alright

ReputationRep:
    My loan is the basic amount + a £40 grant, my accom is near £5.4k, i'm afraid it's about saving up before hand and getting a job whilst there

ReputationRep:
    This is the reason i'm thankful that I live local to my chosen uni, and that I don't have to worry about moving onto campus. My loan was generous, but still would't have covered it and I spent my savings on driving lessons so that I could commute

ReputationRep:
    So do they not inform you if you have qualified for a maintenance grant? The letter I received, like the OP, only has the 2 loans on it, nothing about grants. But I know I qualify for it. I have a job, but I'd have to save over £150 a month from that with only £70 left each month for food...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle J)
    So do they not inform you if you have qualified for a maintenance grant? The letter I received, like the OP, only has the 2 loans on it, nothing about grants. But I know I qualify for it. I have a job, but I'd have to save over £150 a month from that with only £70 left each month for food...
    A lot of people are in the same situation where student finance have given them the loan but have said they won't get a grant even though they should be entitled to one, other problems include student finance saying that they won't even get loans as well even though the people applied for 'em.

I know how much a grant I am getting as they informed me once they had fully assessed my application etc, i'm guessing if you know you're entitled to one and they haven't given you it phone up. But if you have signed the documents and sent them back you may have a hard time because Student Finance say that once a decision has been made and agreed upon it won't be changed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brap pap pap)
    A lot of people are in the same situation where student finance have given them the loan but have said they won't get a grant even though they should be entitled to one, other problems include student finance saying that they won't even get loans as well even though the people applied for 'em.

I know how much a grant I am getting as they informed me once they had fully assessed my application etc, i'm guessing if you know you're entitled to one and they haven't given you it phone up. But if you have signed the documents and sent them back you may have a hard time because Student Finance say that once a decision has been made and agreed upon it won't be changed
    That's why I'm worrying, I've sent back the contract (twice, they didn't seem to get it the first time...) and I just keep seeing the bit that says "Your assessment status is final".

My parents are going to be emigrating in the first few months of next year and have been quite clear they are not going to be helping me financially because they cannot afford it.

Without that grant - which I am entitled to - I will not be able to afford my accommodation. Instead I have to hope that I don't get into my firm choice (University of Sheffield), simply because the accommodation for my insurance (Hallam) is cheaper.

I think it's my fault though. I didn't enter in any details about household income because I assumed they would get that from my parents...argh! Thanks for your reply though

ReputationRep:
    Just spoken to someone from student finance. They said I am entitled to a grant, but no one has sent off any support for my application - so it's all been non income assessed. That is absolute ******** because my parents sent off their forms in the middle of May!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.