Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Student Accommodation costs more than maintenance loan? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elle J)
    That's why I'm worrying, I've sent back the contract (twice, they didn't seem to get it the first time...) and I just keep seeing the bit that says "Your assessment status is final".

My parents are going to be emigrating in the first few months of next year and have been quite clear they are not going to be helping me financially because they cannot afford it.

Without that grant - which I am entitled to - I will not be able to afford my accommodation. Instead I have to hope that I don't get into my firm choice (University of Sheffield), simply because the accommodation for my insurance (Hallam) is cheaper.

I think it's my fault though. I didn't enter in any details about household income because I assumed they would get that from my parents...argh! Thanks for your reply though
    It's been a long time since I did my application but I don't remember entering information about the households income I think that was left for my parents. Erm, tbh I don't really know what you can do except nag them A LOT, but as I said a lot of people are having problems with it so hopefully it'll get sorted, afterall SF have a reputation of being disorganised and unhelpful

/EDIT, just seen your last post, have they sent the documents you used as evidence back or have they still got hold of them? If you've had them returned maybe it'll be a simple case of just sending them back and hoping for the best. I have heard that SF have a backlog of applications from June or there abouts... but good luck with sorting it! x

ReputationRep:
    Mine was always taken out by direct debit, seemed the less hassle. Also you don't have to worry paying it as long as you keep an eye on your account. This year my house rent is way more than the loan, so it looks like job hunting for me once I get back!

I had to pay off the excess at the start of the term. The rest got paid off as soon as the loan came in

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.