Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

sari's and salwar kameez suits for non-asians Watch

ReputationRep:
    I really love sari's and salwar kameez suits and see loads of pretty ones in town. I'd love to get a sari, but I was wondering, in your opinion if that would be weird too weird as I'm not Indian/Pakistani/Bengali/Afghani...?

i.e should i expect weird looks down the street? and would i get lol-ed at if i actually do go into the store and buy one OR when walking down the street?

Also would it piss off some traditional people if they saw a black girl in a salwar kameez for example?

Just wondering <33:rolleyes:
    opnions appreciated

ReputationRep:
    hmm, some people might find it a little odd, do whatever you want to do though :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Ask Ryan Shawcross.

ReputationRep:
    it may be different but youre not the only white or non-asain person to ever wear one . go for it:yy:
    you won't be laughed at if you go into the store. try going to a big bouteque though. you wont be the first or last white/black/non-asain person to want to buy one. so the shop should hopefully not look at you as if youre bizarre. walking down the street in one..hmm depends what street you live on lol. tbh i think if youre buying something fancy you shouldnt walk down the street in it-maybe save it for a wedding or something.

ReputationRep:
    I think people would find it a little odd if you were wearing a sari. With salwar kameez, it depends what kind you bought really. Wear it if you like it!

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I would find it a little odd.

ReputationRep:
    No they wouldn't laugh i've seen quite a few non-asians wearing them and i aint seen nobody pissed of or laughing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -WhySoSerious?)
    hmm, some people might find it a little odd, do whatever you want to do though :yy:
    +1

ReputationRep:
    Well ... I've seen black Muslims before, so I don't think anyone would bat an eye lid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mismatched_dollie_pepper)
    I really love sari's and salwar kameez suits and see loads of pretty ones in town. I'd love to get a sari, but I was wondering, in your opinion if that would be weird too weird as I'm not Indian/Pakistani/Bengali/Afghani...?

i.e should i expect weird looks down the street? and would i get lol-ed at if i actually do go into the store and buy one OR when walking down the street?

Also would it piss off some traditional people if they saw a black girl in a salwar kameez for example?

Just wondering <33
    opnions appreciated
    Nah your lucky your skin colour means your likely to get away with it, white girl now that would attract some funny looks

No of course it wouldn't piss people off to see a black girl wearing traditional clothes such as Saris/Salwar Kameezes. Tbh, I think saris look amazing on anyone, regardless of their race.

You should go for it :yy:

ReputationRep:

opnions appreciated

I owuld laugh at you and think you are cute. You will probably look better than some "south east asians".

I think some traditional people would get pissed off

ReputationRep:
    SARIS look nice on skinny people.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't just randomly walk around in the street in one.
    plus any decent sari's are around £150+

ReputationRep:
    it might look a bit odd but it deffo wouldn't piss me off..!

ReputationRep:
    no-one really wears a saree in everyday life.

only old women

wear a kameez, more everyday attire

ReputationRep:
    Don't wear a sari in the street. It's like going to town in a ball gown.
    But buy one for a party or a wedding or something (not clubbing though).
    Asians wear Western clothes, so why not the other way round.

ReputationRep:

opnions appreciated
    It's a bit strange, but in a nice way! I don't see why anyone would get offended, if anything it's nice to see non-asians enjoying asian culture.

But make sure you pick out the right kind of sari/ salwar kameez as a lot of them are too grand for everyday wear, and I think that would look a bit silly regardless of race. I can't imagine anyone in the store thinking it's too strange - they probably get a fair few non asian customers, and will probably be more than happy to help with styles and designs that would be appropriate.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.