The Student Room Group

16 Year Old = No Job :(

Hey guys, Well i'm 16 and having a tough time finding a job. I mean most places require previous experience but how am I going to gain that experience if nobody's giving me a chance? Also I've tried everywhere such as retail shops and supermarkets.

Sainsubury's don't require previous experience but they never seem to have vacancies online, and all they have is 'nigh shifts'. I've really lost hope. Also I'm waiting for my gcse results to come so for the moment on my cv i've typed up my predicted grades if that's ok:o:

Can anyone give me advise on what to do??? :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Didn't you finish early after your exams?? Around Mayish... i did anyway last year. This is when i applied for a job when most were still at Uni/college.

It would probably be hard to get a job now, i'm waiting until September time when people go back to Uni = vacancies all round!

If your only 16, most will know you have not had experience anyway... however there is hope around this! You could say how your intrests e.g. Drama (example) have helped you gain confidence and communication skills with others etc.
Reply 2
Mc Donalds... easiest place to get into...

You're young though, so not a big deal no job tbh
I'm 18, same position, nothing you can do. Because of recission more adults are applying for the jobs students would usualy get (shop jobs etc), which is fair enough as they have more things to pay for than us, and more experience, still fustrating though bt nothing we can do really.
And ye I started applying before my exams (begginning of june) :frown: . I just got a job at V fest tho, so thats something :smile:
Has everyone suddenly forgotten the recession and the fact that the rate of unemployment is worse than it was in the 80s? It's particularly bad in London.

OP you may well have to do work experience in order to get previous experience, as employers are being very particular over who they employ at the moment. Even a few months may give you an edge over people. Part time jobs are at a premium right now so you could be looking for some time. Also don't be fussy about where you're looking.
volunteer in a charity shop for a bit, they will hire pretty much anyone, you don't get paid but it gives you retail and customer service experience, about 3 months shuold be enough. Also it looks good on CV's volunteering, shows you are a well rounded person. Also it gives you a nice feeling knowing what you are doing is helping people less fortunate :biggrin:
Reply 6
I managed to get work experience with KPMG and price waterhouse coopers
Master.K
Hey guys, Well i'm 16 and having a tough time finding a job. I mean most places require previous experience but how am I going to gain that experience if nobody's giving me a chance? Also I've tried everywhere such as retail shops and supermarkets.

Sainsubury's don't require previous experience but they never seem to have vacancies online, and all they have is 'nigh shifts'. I've really lost hope. Also I'm waiting for my gcse results to come so for the moment on my cv i've typed up my predicted grades if that's ok:o:

Can anyone give me advise on what to do??? :frown:

I'm in EXACTLY the same position i've tried most places if not everywhere i can they all told me to apply back near christmas time that's when there are more job opportunities so i've given it up for now and im gnna try again around november time but you could do volunteer work for experience but im jst gnna sit bk enjoy the summer and wait for my results you should to
No-one's finding temp jobs this summer (just going by my friends at least). My best friend even offered to work on some sort of charity scheme for nothing, but she was turned down because of demand for places - I doubt it was anything to do with the goodness of anyones' hearts, rather a consequence of government intervention in the employment market. Just wait until after you've finished your ASs next year and scrape what you can together this summer and buy whatever you need to buy.
Reply 9
Join the club!

I've never had a real job before but I have 2 voluntary jobs (one at a bar, other at a chairty shop) at the moment to gain some experience before I apply for jobs when I go back to uni.
Reply 10
emmie19
Mc Donalds... easiest place to get into...

You're young though, so not a big deal no job tbh

No it isn't. I got rejected TWICE :mad:
Reply 11
CatexW
No it isn't. I got rejected TWICE :mad:

Lol, I got in the first time.

Why were you rejected? Did you dress smartly?
Reply 12
I really want to work somewhere like sainsbury's, does anyone know another way of how i could get a job?
Reply 13
emmie19
Lol, I got in the first time.

Why were you rejected? Did you dress smartly?

No, I got rejected before the interview both times. Once was before the recession even started. Although, at that particular McDonalds they seem to only employ people that don't speak much English.
Reply 14
CatexW
No, I got rejected before the interview both times. Once was before the recession even started. Although, at that particular McDonalds they seem to only employ people that don't speak much English.

That's probably too many people for the same job then.
emmie19
That's probably too many people for the same job then.

Either that or they only employ people who they know are going to be working there for a very long time..

Oh, hey, how's your job going?
Reply 16
GodspeedGehenna
Either that or they only employ people who they know are going to be working there for a very long time..

Oh haha. It has a high turnover rate, because it's Mc Donalds.

'I'm Loving it' actually :p: , it's always so busy there, the people I work with as so friendly (even the boss jokes with us) and I've made a new mate who texted me this morning :woo: Second day pretty good :biggrin: It doesn't seem bitchy there at all (was a lot worse on my work experience in a hospital for OT... how ironic lol). Thanks for asking :smile:
They may not have any vacancies online but have you tried actually going in and asking? I'd say supermarkets are your best bet, especially around this time of year since a lot of staff will be leaving for uni.
GodspeedGehenna

:rofl:
Reply 19
acm345
I managed to get work experience with KPMG and price waterhouse coopers

yeah but you're not getting paid so it's really not that valid to the thread.

Latest