Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Mc Donalds... easiest place to get into...

You're young though, so not a big deal no job tbh
    Its not that easy, thats if you're "overqualified".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boreism)
    Its not that easy, thats if you're "overqualified".
    I have A Levels, I'm overqualified. :yes:

Dear God, don't tell me you tried Mc Donalds with a pHD?? :p: What happened
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Master.K)
    Hey guys, Well i'm 16 and having a tough time finding a job. I mean most places require previous experience but how am I going to gain that experience if nobody's giving me a chance? Also I've tried everywhere such as retail shops and supermarkets.

Sainsubury's don't require previous experience but they never seem to have vacancies online, and all they have is 'nigh shifts'. I've really lost hope. Also I'm waiting for my gcse results to come so for the moment on my cv i've typed up my predicted grades if that's ok:o:

Can anyone give me advise on what to do???
    I got a job at Primark, but I didn't have any experience whatsoever and my GCSE grades are down the drain.

I recommend you to work there, I mean you've got to start somewhere right???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hallix)
    yeah but you're not getting paid so it's really not that valid to the thread.
    Yeah i realised that after i submitted the post, so i'll try again. A couple of my friends have managed to get jobs working at places such as miss selfridge and Boots. They seem to be giving out jobs that are paid quite well. You could also try Matalan, I think they are hiring becasue i was close to working there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    I have A Levels, I'm overqualified. :yes:

Dear God, don't tell me you tried Mc Donalds with a pHD?? :p: What happened
    You're not going on about your blinking A levels again are you? :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anamaria90)
    You're not going on about your blinking A levels again are you? :facepalm:
    I fail to see the problem in saying I have them. So do most people on this board. It was relevent, to the over-qualified thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatnikkidid)
    They may not have any vacancies online but have you tried actually going in and asking? I'd say supermarkets are your best bet, especially around this time of year since a lot of staff will be leaving for uni.
    Just so you know, you have to be 18 to work pretty much any of the jobs in any of the supermarkets - especially if you're on the floor - and most of them only deal with applications online now, so you can't just go into a store and ask anymore

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    Just so you know, you have to be 18 to work pretty much any of the jobs in any of the supermarkets - especially if you're on the floor - and most of them only deal with applications online now, so you can't just go into a store and ask anymore
    I don't know if that's true for all supermarkets, well, it certainly isn't for Waitrose because I've been working there since I was 16 but now I'm leeeeeaaaaving :woo: so you can have my old job if you like

P.S. Deli counter is the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acm345)
    Yeah i realised that after i submitted the post, so i'll try again. A couple of my friends have managed to get jobs working at places such as miss selfridge and Boots. They seem to be giving out jobs that are paid quite well. You could also try Matalan, I think they are hiring becasue i was close to working there
    Better! sorry if i was snappy, i just got told i couldn't go to a mate's campout tonight :\

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if that's true for all supermarkets, well, it certainly isn't for Waitrose because I've been working there since I was 16 but now I'm leeeeeaaaaving :woo: so you can have my old job if you like

P.S. Deli counter is the way to go.
    God, I'd LOVE to work in Waitrose... Seriously, I'd do it for the tzatziki and the cake counter alone, but have you tried the Baby Bottom Butter? It smells AMAZING.

If you're on the deli counter, you're probably alright, simply because you're not serving alcohol to people, which is the big problem, and why most supermarkets want you to be 18.

ReputationRep:
    God, I'd LOVE to work in Waitrose... Seriously, I'd do it for the tzatziki and the cake counter alone, but have you tried the Baby Bottom Butter? It smells AMAZING.

If you're on the deli counter, you're probably alright, simply because you're not serving alcohol to people, which is the big problem, and why most supermarkets want you to be 18.
    The cake counter is INCREDIBLE, I work there some nights and literally at the end of the evening they just THROW AWAY perfectly edible (and delicious) cakes! I choose to throw them in my MOUTH rather than into the bin NOM NOM NOM NOM

But yeah I have friends who've been working on tills and on the shop floor since they were 16 too, I don't think they have a problem with it at the 'trose. If you're under 18 and you need to serve alcohol you just call a supervisor over.

ReputationRep:
    The cake counter is INCREDIBLE, I work there some nights and literally at the end of the evening they just THROW AWAY perfectly edible (and delicious) cakes! I choose to throw them in my MOUTH rather than into the bin NOM NOM NOM NOM

But yeah I have friends who've been working on tills and on the shop floor since they were 16 too, I don't think they have a problem with it at the 'trose. If you're under 18 and you need to serve alcohol you just call a supervisor over.
    Ah that's awesome A lot of my friends got rejected from the major supermarkets because they weren't 18, and they just can't be arsed to send a supervisor over!

I can't believe they throw out the cake though! I'll happily take it off your hands :p: Actually, it's probably just as well I don't work on there, or I'd end up twice the size!

ReputationRep:

I can't believe they throw out the cake though! I'll happily take it off your hands :p: Actually, it's probably just as well I don't work on there, or I'd end up twice the size!
    I know, it's ridiculous! We throw away so much stuff. Though I agree with you about the cake thing, if I was on patisserie every night I'd probably die of a sugar overdose, or get fired for eating all the cakes! Not that I don't sneak a cheeky bit of cheese or ham every now and then!

ReputationRep:
    They may not have any vacancies online but have you tried actually going in and asking? I'd say supermarkets are your best bet, especially around this time of year since a lot of staff will be leaving for uni.
    I've found supermarkets virtually impossible, every time I go in and ask about vacancies over the past year I get the same answers, which is check online, look at the job centre or the most common answer which is we don't have any vacancies.

I haven't been into one where they've said they'll take my CV or given me an application form.

ReputationRep:
    i am 16 and i managed to get a job, i just kept checking the websites of the big chain shops in the area and when my friend told me there might be some positions in waitrose i applied, the only thing is that at the moment we actually have a bit of an advantage as employers don't have pay us as much, but we also have the disadvantage of being unexperianced with a lot of quite experienced adults so you just have to perservere keep trying, also try the connexsions website they have a list of vacancies in your area which you can apply for.

ReputationRep:
    If you're REALLY desperate for a job, and are prepared to work really short (4 hour) shifts which are REALLY boring, for minimum wage pay, no discounts until after the 6 month probationary period (no way I'm staying for that long lol, month will do me) and a scally uniform, then apply for a Casual Sales Assistant position with Sports Direct online! be prepared not to be treated at all, never mind well..

ReputationRep:
    Cheers to the person that negged me for this thread atleast have the decency to leave your name WIMP!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.