Turn on thread page Beta

English 2nd Year Degree Assignment! watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiiii.

I'm feeling pretty stuck at the moment. I'm about to submit an essay that I never submitted in my first Semester of 2nd year... but it's been so long since I did the module, that I'm struggling to piece together ideas! I'm currently on a high 2.2 with the module, so I'm hoping that this essay will take me up to a 2.1.

The Q I've chosen is:

[B]Discuss the role of landscape imagery in Romantic writing and explain why pastoral traditions and conventions were important./B]

Any ideas/starting points I could roll with?

Thanks greatly in advance.

ReputationRep:
    That is an extremely difficult question; the only poet I would feel comfortable talking about in the strict context of “pastoral traditions and conventions” is John Clare. But I suppose you could quite easily talk about Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Frost at Midnight and John Keats's To Autumn (and others) too. Pastoralism was used to symbolise a natural and more meaningful existence, which directly opposed the onrush of industrialization. I think Coleridge's poem is probably the easiest to understand in this context. He establishes a number of binary oppositions, which represent opposing ideologies, and develops them through extensive use of symbolism.

I do not mean to be rude but I would suggest choosing another (easier) question if you in the 50-59 bracket. The question is not particularly nice but the concept is fairly easy, and fundamental to Romanticism itself; if you are struggling then it might suggest that the grade you are currently on is a fair assessment.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, don't get me wrong, I understand Pastoral traditions in Romanticism, it's just been such a long time since I even looked at the module, I figured that perhaps some people on here would have good suggestions for poems or poets I could look at, such as the ones you have suggested (thank you! )

I'm a little stuck for options, having focused on the themes illustrated in my other questions in the first assignment, and in the exam. Thus, I'm pretty limited to pastoral traditions, having not yet written an assignment on that theme.

When I get my head round a concept I'm generally fine with then writing the essay. But as the deadline is next week, and due to a mix up at University, I only received my title this week. Hence the panic! Haha.

Maybe you're right about my current grade being a fair assessment. It's just that all my other modules are high 2.1's, and this isn't strictly classed as a re-submission - it's worth 25% and I'm submitting it as if for the first time, so there is no cap on the marks.

Thank you for your help, those poems seem like an excellent place to start

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.