Turn on thread page Beta

New Immigration policy = Brigther future for the UK watch

ReputationRep:
    As everyone knows the immigration policy is crap. The Liberals are crazy,The conservatives are all talk and Labour has been failing.

Here is my idea.

Old Commonwealth (Canada,New Zealand Australia,South African English) = Anybody who's has ancestral link to the UK can get an immediate citizenship. No Visa required.
    South Africa = Afrikaners can get Visa here. Non Afrikaners have to have a skill and the ability to work in the UK.
    EU = Unlimited
    Eastern Europe (Belarus,Ukraine,Russia and Georgia) = Depends on all other immigrants. Open at all times for Skilled Immigrants. If EU immigration is to low then open for lower skilled and maybe unskilled people.
    Refugees = 10,000 a year. No more! To be allowed into this country. The Refugee first has to try seeking safety in all of the neighboring countries. If they fail to provide any evidence of this then they aren't allowed.
    Other Foreigners = This one I divided into two categories.
    Developed country = If they come from a developed country then they must have a skill that isn't in demand here in the UK.
    Undeveloped country/Country with a lower quality of life then the UK = They MUST have a skill that is in shortage or in demand. Not only that. They must also have a job offer here already. If they do not during the working visa work in the occupation they came here for. Then they are immediately sent back.
    Illegal Immigrants. = If anybody enters the country illegal their application will be considered null and void. No matter the merit.
    Family = Only Spouse and Children allowed. No uncle no father no mother. The Spouse must have an a great knowledge of the UK and be able to speak in the language of either English,Welsh,Irish or Scottish Gaelic fluently.

My Immigration policy is to stop people from poor countries coming for for the quality of life. Anybody who comes here with a degree or a skill that is required. They HAVE TO be able to work in those fields. If they can't they then won't be allowed access.

Some people will be able to get into the country easier. People who have a historical link to the UK like Canadians or Kiwis can get here much,much easier then someone from India. If a Dr from India wants to come to the UK. He must be able to get a job in a hospital has a doctor.

I limited Refugees to stop people using wars in their home country as an excuse. If you can travel 5,000 miles for safety then you can travel to your neighboring countries for safety if that was your real concern. Besides Refugees do the worst economically.

There is also one rule. Non EU immigration can't exceed the emigration level. If 90,000 people leave the country. Then 80,000 people can enter. 10k of the refugees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stettin)
    As everyone knows the immigration policy is crap. The Liberals are crazy,The conservatives are all talk and Labour has been failing.
    No they don't.

/thread

South Africa = Afrikaners can get Visa here. Non Afrikaners have to have a skill and the ability to work in the USA. No more Engineer
    And that's not racist?

Refugees = 10,000 a year. No more! To be allowed into this country. The Refugee first has to try seeking safety in all of the neighboring countries. If they fail to provide any evidence of this then they aren't allowed.
    What if the neighbouring countries are less than welcoming/accommodating toward refugees. Refugees come to our country because they know they'll have rights, protection and a decent chance at life, something that may not be available in their surrounding areas.

Illegal Immigrants. = If anybody enters the country illegal their application will be considered null and void. No matter the merit.
    Very humanitarian of you, I'm sure. The fact that they came here illegally ought to tell you how desperate they were to leave behind their old life.

Family = Only Spouse and Children allowed. No uncle no father no mother. The Spouse must have an a great knowledge of the UK and be able to speak in the language of either English,Welsh,Irish or Scottish Gaelic fluently.
    :rofl:

Yeah, cause Abdul al Fatollah's wife who's coming from Somalia is really likely to know Welsh!

My Immigration policy is to stop people from poor countries coming for for the quality of life. Anybody who comes here with a degree or a skill that is required. They HAVE TO be able to work in those fields. If they can't they then won't be allowed access.
    Yes, how dare they try and gain a better quality of life? Despicable really.

I limited Refugees to stop people using wars in their home country as an excuse. If you can travel 5,000 miles for safety then you can travel to your neighboring countries for safety if that was your real concern. Besides Refugees do the worst economically.
    See above.

In short: your idea is xenophobic nonsense.

ReputationRep:

Here is my idea.

Old Commonwealth (Canada,New Zealand Australia,South African English) = Anybody who's has ancestral link to the UK can get an immediate citizenship. No Visa required.

Good in theory, but it would be costly to prove ancestry, and i would prefer them to have a skill the UK demands.
    South Africa = Afrikaners can get Visa here. Non Afrikaners have to have a skill and the ability to work in the USA. No more Engineer

What does the USA have to do with our immigration policy? And why should Afrikaners get automatic entry regardless of skills? And no more engineers, are you mad?? That is literally one of the worst skill shortages we have; i should know, im going into that industry.

EU = Unlimited

I would suggest they have a job secured before they got here,so they can fend for themselves. Would like some quota for us too.
    Eastern Europe (Belarus,Ukraine,Russia and Georgia) = Depends on all other immigrants. Open at all times for Skilled Immigrants. If EU immigration is to low then open for lower skilled and maybe unskilled people.

Good idea. However, EU immigration is never going to be "too low".

I like the idea, possibly with a bigger quota. Would need some way to weed out bogus asylum seekers, coming here for benefits etc.

Other Foreigners = This one I divided into two categories.
    Developed country = If they come from a developed country then they must have a skill that isn't in demand here in the UK.
    Undeveloped country/Country with a lower quality of life then the UK = They MUST have a skill that is in shortage or in demand. Not only that. They must also have a job offer here already. If they do not during the working visa work in the occupation they came here for. Then they are immediately sent back.

Some people will be able to get into the country easier. People who have a historical link to the UK like Canadians or Kiwis can get here much,much easier then someone from India. If a Dr from India wants to come to the UK. He must be able to get a job in a hospital has a doctor.

There is also one rule. Non EU immigration can't exceed the emigration level. If 90,000 people leave the country. Then 80,000 people can enter. 10k of the refugees.
    You mae some ok points, my views are in bold in the quote.

Will be back for more possibly.
    Rich

ReputationRep:
    I don't support unlimited EU immigration so the ideal policy would be stricter.

ReputationRep:
    sheesh. if it was up to you, my dad wouldn't be here and i wouldn't be where i am today. my family have been ok to this country as well :\.

ReputationRep:

:lolwut: Isn't that the whole point of immigration.

ReputationRep:

My Immigration policy is to stop people from poor countries coming for for the quality of life
    Nearly all you suggested is ridiculous but this is the worst.

ReputationRep:
    South Africa = Afrikaners can get Visa here. Non Afrikaners have to have a skill and the ability to work in the USA.
    What does the ability to work in the USA have to do with the UK? Am I missing something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    What if the neighbouring countries are less than welcoming/accommodating toward refugees. Refugees come to our country because they know they'll have rights, protection and a decent chance at life, something that may not be available in their surrounding areas.
    So you're telling me that 15-25 EU and non-EU countries wouldn't be 'welcoming' and 'accommodating? Britain's immigration policy is stricter than a sizeable proportion of other EU countries, so your logic does not compute.

They come to Britain because they're aware they'll get everything handed to them on a plate, once they pass the hurdles. I am unclear on their social motives, perhaps they prefer how Americanised Britain is compared with other EU countries. So, their sole motivation certainly isn't out of desperation and this sob story mentality.

ReputationRep:
    As opposed to a darker future? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    No they don't.

/thread
    Yes they do. Immigration is a primary concern for many people. Maybe not for you but it is for many.

And that's not racist?
    How is it racist? The Afrikaners have a very close historical link with the British. In fact WE forced that link on them. They are a very highly skilled people living in a third world country. Many are looking to emigrate. If we don't get them then Canada,Australia or America will.

I fail to believe that ALL neighbouring countries are hostile to refugees. If they are why not go to a different but closer country? Why travel thousands of miles to a country that's safe but richer? Oh wait. It's richer. :rolleyes:

Experience has shown that refugees who move to rich countries almost never go back to their home country when it is safe. Those who live in neighbouring countries do so.

Very humanitarian of you, I'm sure. The fact that they came here illegally ought to tell you how desperate they were to leave behind their old life.
    The term here is ILLEGAL! Laws are laws. How can you be expected to live in a country as a law abiding citizen if you broke the law before you even stepped on to it's soil?

Yeah, cause Abdul al Fatollah's wife who's coming from Somalia is really likely to know Welsh!
    Then she can stay where she is.

What does the USA have to do with our immigration policy? And why should Afrikaners get automatic entry regardless of skills? And no more engineers, are you mad?? That is literally one of the worst skill shortages we have; i should know, im going into that industry.
    Editing errors. I shall have it fixed before dinner time. Btw I also want to be an engineer. So no hatred there.

Good idea. However, EU immigration is never going to be "too low".
    I believe it will. Take a look at the case with the Polish. They came in their thousands and they left in their thousands. Unlike India or Pakistan. EU countries develop. The number of Poles coming here to work 17 hours a day is not has big has it was in 2004.

Good in theory, but it would be costly to prove ancestry, and i would prefer them to have a skill the UK demands.
    I would just say Genealogy. Search up their great grandfathers records and then stamp 'em.

Discrimination on basis of race = fail.
    Can you atleast point out to me where I have discriminated based on race? I've discriminated on the basis of development. Just because browner people live in less developed country doesn't mean it's discrimination. For example South America has a lot of white people in it. Yet they get treated the same as Bangladeshis.

ReputationRep:
    No U

ReputationRep:
    I like, especially that first part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aeolus)
    :lolwut: Isn't that the whole point of immigration.
    No. The point of immigration is to move to a different country.

Now days we get people who move to the UK to get a better life either through benefit or working in crap jobs that pay more then the jobs in their home country. But they benefit the UK less. After all they need a place to live, schools to study and cultural places to hang around.

What I am suggesting is that we bring in Immigrations that will ALSO benefit the UK. Mr Sanjay can work as a doctor fixing up old English people. His taxes will go to the government who don't have to force local councils to house him since he can afford his own house. The housing line gets shorter and thus reduce resentment towards minorities.

ReputationRep:
    why is everyone so opposed to control of immigration?
    Is it because they live in areas which are mostly white middle class and wont have to mix with the immigrants??

ReputationRep:
    I think immigration should be based soely on skill. If you can bring a skill or talent here then you should be welcome.....

usually the hardest workers and biggest contributers are immigrants.... So if anything we need more immigrants but only the bets and the brightest from around the world.

ReputationRep:
    No. The point of immigration is to move to a different country.

Now days we get people who move to the UK to get a better life either through benefit or working in crap jobs that pay more then the jobs in their home country. But they benefit the UK less. After all they need a place to live, schools to study and cultural places to hang around.

What I am suggesting is that we bring in Immigrations that will ALSO benefit the UK. Mr Sanjay can work as a doctor fixing up old English people. His taxes will go to the government who don't have to force local councils to house him since he can afford his own house. The housing line gets shorter and thus reduce resentment towards minorities.

So you are saying that all immigrants that emigrated to the USA in search of a better life, have not contributed to that nation. Considering it was immigration that made the USA great.

I think you have the immigration problem completely wrong.

If you want to stop people coming here purely to claim benefits and take us for a ride. Then it is the welfare system that is to blame and needs to be changed.

Don't blame those who come here for a free ride. Are you going to deny that given the chance you wouldn't move to a richer country that offered you money and a house, for nothing?

I got an idea - OK, so generally speaking, people that move to the UK go to already densely populated areas, e.g. London, Birmingham etc.

Yet, there are many places in Britain which are sparsely populated - so move them there! E.g. one of the many island off Scotland or something.

Anyway OP, hmm, there are some ambigious point but I cba to say them, but I would like to point out one thing:

Family = Only Spouse and Children allowed. No uncle no father no mother.
    What if they have lots of children?

And tbh, how can you prove that the "children" is really their children? What if it's their nephew, but for the sake of entry - lied?

ReputationRep:
    What if they have lots of children?

And tbh, how can you prove that the "children" is really their children? What if it's their nephew, but for the sake of entry - lied?
    DNA test of course. Now some might claim that their children are adopted. They must prove that they adopted it a long time before they planned to come to the UK. If they are from a country were documents are forged easily. Then no adopted kids allowed.

(Original post by Aeolus)
    So you are saying that all immigrants that emigrated to the USA in search of a better life, have not contributed to that nation. Considering it was immigration that made the USA great.

I think you have the immigration problem completely wrong.

If you want to stop people coming here purely to claim benefits and take us for a ride. Then it is the welfare system that is to blame and needs to be changed.

Don't blame those who come here for a free ride. Are you going to deny that given the chance you wouldn't move to a richer country that offered you money and a house, for nothing?
    So why should the locals have to suffer because a lot of greedy people want to take advantage of a system designed to help those who genuinely can't help themselves? A lazy chav is one thing but 200,000+ people entering the country (an Island) every single year? That doesn't compute.

It's also not just the welfare system. What about the schools? These kinds will need help in the schools if we are going to stop them from failing it. What do you suggest? We get rid of free schooling and charge all parents?

By the way. America became great not because of their unlimited immigration policy. But because they were untouched by war and the Brain gain they have all. Their immigration system is an example of why unlimited immigration doesn't work.

Hispanics enter the country illegally. They are the worst people socially and economically. Asians like Koreans and Indians enter the country legally. They have to face hurdle to get a green card. Thus only the best can get through. So you end up in a situation where Koreans and Indians a richer and better educated then the white population.

ReputationRep:
    Although 90% of your post is pure crazy nonsense, this quotation made me LOL the hardest;

Now...please tell me, if you will, do you know anything about BASIC history "Stettin"? I hope you do, because if you dont your WHOLE argument has, ultimately, just been debased because you might just be a massive racist? Why should we let Canadians in over Indians? because they are white? We have massive historical ties with India...Not only did we colonise India but they posted hundreds of thousands of troops to aid the allies in WW1 and suffered huge losses in doing so. So basically, are you a bit of a racist?

xx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.