The Student Room Group

University location v prestige?

Hello,

I am considering doing a degree in French and ab initio or post GCSE Spanish but I am finding it difficult to find an ideal university. I would love to attend a top university (whether my results will allow this or not I am unsure!) but I would also love to experience living in a city during my years at university. I am finding it difficult to find a top uni in a city that offers the degree that I want to do.

Can anyone make any suggestions?

Should I be more concerned over location or how good the actual university is?

Thank you :smile:

PS. I apologise if this has been done before!
Ooh La
Hello,

I am considering doing a degree in French and ab initio or post GCSE Spanish but I am finding it difficult to find an ideal university. I would love to attend a top university (whether my results will allow this or not I am unsure!) but I would also love to experience living in a city during my years at university. I am finding it difficult to find a top uni in a city that offers the degree that I want to do.

Remember that you are going to be spending at least three years living in this place, so you want to make sure that the university you choose is in a place that won't drive you insane. There's no point in going to a prestigious university that you don't actually like. From what I've gathered, being comfortable is conducive to making the most of your studies.
Reply 2
Ooh La
Hello,

It really does not matter as long as you like the course and think you'd find it interesting!
Ooh La
Hello,

I suggest UCL, Bristol, Nottingham and Edinburgh :smile:
Reply 4
Toxic Tears
I suggest UCL, Bristol, Nottingham and Edinburgh :smile:

and Manchester? i also know lots of people love Leeds. maybe add KCL if they do his course.
Reply 5
It depends on what you define as a good location.
For me, nightlife doesn't matter, campus > all; quiet place but not hidden somewhere; for example I am able to reach London every day :smile:
Though Colchester is considered as very boring and other people might argue that this is unacceptable.
Reply 6
Ooh La
Hello,

city doesn't = best experience though some cities are v nice
there doesn't have to be a compromise...london, edinburgh...if you can get this city thing out of your head...st andrews
Ooh La
Hello,

Have you visited the cities of the universities that have a good prestige and offer the course you want, but are unsure about the actual location? You might change your mind once you visit

Latest

Trending

Trending