Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My target is to get A* in the Nov 10 Eng Lan Exams. Can someone have a look at these answers, and judge what grades they could be respectively?

The two questions are:
    (Paper 1 Sec B- the first answer) 4. Write a letter to a TV company persuading them that they should producie more interesting programmes for teenagers.

(Paper 2 Sec B- the second answer) 3. School students say they get bored in the long summer holidays. Write an article for a local newpaper informing students of the different things they could do to prevent boredom.

ALSO, is my writing legible?
    Please suggest the marks for these out of 27, and also any pointers to improve

Thank You

HERE ARE THE ANSWERS (pages are in order):
    http://s973.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=scan0001.jpg
    http://s973.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=scan0002.jpg
    http://s973.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=scan0003.jpg
    http://s973.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=scan0004.jpg
    http://s973.photobucket.com/albums/a...t=scan0005.jpg

ReputationRep:
    A pointer from me would be to use different punctuation like colons to create a list effect and semi-colons or exclamation marks. (sorry if you have done that, didn't really read in much detail).

Also you get marks for layout so for the first one start by putting two addresses and starting it with Dear Sir/Madam

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I will keep those in mind. How bad is the handwriting? Could I loose marks for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Ok, I will keep those in mind. How bad is the handwriting? Could I loose marks for it?
    You could lose marks for that spelling.

(normally I hate people who correct grammar and spelling on the internet, but I figured it's okay in the context of improving your English grade :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Not very neat, but I could just about read it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanghew)
    You could lose marks for that spelling.

(normally I hate people who correct grammar and spelling on the internet, but I figured it's okay in the context of improving your English grade :p: )
    Good point about the spelling, how many marks are awarded for spelling in the two writing sections? Are there any practices/exercises I can do to improve it?

With reagrd to my spelling and handwritting, how many marks out of 27 do you think the answers will be overall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Good point about the spelling, how many marks are awarded for spelling in the two writing sections? Are there any practices/exercises I can do to improve it?

With reagrd to my spelling and handwritting, how many marks out of 27 do you think the answers will be overall?
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Hello again

Maybe 19/20? Don't listen to me much, cause the mark schemes are loose and subjective. Anyway it was pretty good, especially as you have ages to revise and improve yet!

Your writing was a bit hard to read, but it was a photo, so it real life it would probs. be easier. But you could try practising it less scrawly? I don't think you'd lose thta much there, but no harm it trying to be neater right? There were a couple of spelling mistakes I think but your punctuation's good, so you'd only lose like 1 mark out of 9.

Also like others have mentioned when writing the 'letter' task you need to present it like one with the address etc. I had a 'Lett's aiming for A* AQA english language revision guide' (black/yellow) which told you all of this stuff You should really get that, it's only a few quid and tells you what you need to know for both papers and all this writing stuff, as well as poem revision! :woo: - which you've been asking about.

PM/quote me if you want to asme anything

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skye333)
    Hello again

Maybe 19/20? Don't listen to me much, cause the mark schemes are loose and subjective. Anyway it was pretty good, especially as you have ages to revise and improve yet!

Your writing was a bit hard to read, but it was a photo, so it real life it would probs. be easier. But you could try practising it less scrawly? I don't think you'd lose thta much there, but no harm it trying to be neater right? There were a couple of spelling mistakes I think but your punctuation's good, so you'd only lose like 1 mark out of 9.

Also like others have mentioned when writing the 'letter' task you need to present it like one with the address etc. I had a 'Lett's aiming for A* AQA english language revision guide' (black/yellow) which told you all of this stuff You should really get that, it's only a few quid and tells you what you need to know for both papers and all this writing stuff, as well as poem revision! :woo: - which you've been asking about.

PM/quote me if you want to asme anything
    Thanks for the reply .
    ON average what grade would 19/20 for that section, and how many marks are needed for an A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twig)
    Thanks for the reply .
    ON average what grade would 19/20 for that section, and how many marks are needed for an A*?
    pretty sure it would be a solid A. An A* would be around 23-25/27. Their quite high, but you would have to add both papers + coursework for the final grade.

ReputationRep:
    Your handwriting put me off reading it. While an examiner would still read and mark it as fairly as possible, remember that they've been marking the exact same piece of work for the last few days. If yours is easy to read, you may win some slight favour. I don't quite get this 'WORSHIPPED' thing in the first letter; a letter to a TV executive must be formal, and playing with the graphology is just about as far away from that as you can be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinkydaisy)
    Your handwriting put me off reading it. While an examiner would still read and mark it as fairly as possible, remember that they've been marking the exact same piece of work for the last few days. If yours is easy to read, you may win some slight favour. I don't quite get this 'WORSHIPPED' thing in the first letter; a letter to a TV executive must be formal, and playing with the graphology is just about as far away from that as you can be.
    Good point about "worshipped". Also, about the handwriting, is it the natural cursive, or it is the careless crossing out which makes the text irritating/difficult to read?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.