Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I used to love swimming and want to take it up again, but the problem is, i have a hairy chest, its not like a sweater or anything but i have dark hair so the chest hair is also dark and i am quite self concious of it. I'm not fat, but not really skinny either, most people have said i am slim/average build, so i'm not especially worried about that, but i am just worried about the hair, should i do anything about it or am i worrying over nothing?

ReputationRep:
    Worring over nothing. Its just a swimming pool.

ReputationRep:
    Wear a t-shirt?
    Despite what you may think, many guys have hairy chests (well I hope you are a guy :| )

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry mate. Half the people I see at the leisure centre have hairy chests etc.. I guess it's just a manly thing!

Enjoy swimming and not the glory of it.

ReputationRep:
    Wax!
    Or man up and leave it, no one will care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I used to love swimming and want to take it up again, but the problem is, i have a hairy chest, its not like a sweater or anything but i have dark hair so the chest hair is also dark and i am quite self concious of it. I'm not fat, but not really skinny either, most people have said i am slim/average build, so i'm not especially worried about that, but i am just worried about the hair, should i do anything about it or am i worrying over nothing?

No once minds at all, unless you're going to be hugging them (and even then, not everyone dislikes hairy chests).

People with moobs, eczema and other 'embarrassing illnesses' have 'real' cause for concern, but even they often get over it.

Swimming is as good as anything in terms of exercise, so it's best not to let something insignificant like this keep you from it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ßlαcksωαn)
    Wear a t-shirt?
    Despite what you may think, many guys have hairy chests (well I hope you are a guy :| )
    T-Shirt?

I assumed the OP was talking about a public swimming pool, so is that possible?
    (I wouldn't really know as I haven't to a public (unless you count hotels) pool since lessons in primary school).

A swimsuit would be better suited, but would definitely be overkill.

ReputationRep:
    buy a drag shirt, it will increase your swimming; although difficult at start or you could go for a full body swim suit?

ReputationRep:
    OP are you male or female?

if you are male, dont worry about it, hairy chests are nice most of the time.

if you are female, you can buy body hair lightening kits in pharmacies like boots etc that bleach your body hair to make it the same colour as your skin. Worth a try

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it.
    Go for a nice swim

ReputationRep:
    If you're really that bothered, get an electric shaver and trim the hair. Job done.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 6, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.