Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you get you 5 a day? Watch

• View Poll Results: How many portions a day ...
    14.43%
    12.37%
    20.62%
    22.68%
    7.22%
    More than 5
    18.56%
    4.12%

ReputationRep:
    10 most days. Occasionally more.

ReputationRep:
    It depends. Probably about 3 on average.

Thats mostly made up of tomatoes, broccoli, granny smith apples and celery.

ReputationRep:
    why wouldn't fruit juice from the supermarket count?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    10 most days. Occasionally more.
    I cant even name that many vegetables

ReputationRep:
    i voted 4, some days i have waaay more than 5, and others less.

Often i forget things that count, like 1 glass of orange juice, tomatoes and veggies that are in a sauce etc.
    but in general i don't tend to count everyday how many i have. I probs have too much fruit and not enough veggies really.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I get my 5 a day - 1 bannana in breakfast cereal, I'll probably eat a couple of satsumas as snacks, and I'll have a smoothie in the evening with two banannas in

ReputationRep:
    3 most days, should have more!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelil)
    Fruit juice does count - it just only counts once a day.
    And obviously if you have an orange juice and then have an orange later in the day then that will only count once too.
    Ah, ok. That's what I thought I get 5.

ReputationRep:
    i try and have 5 [email protected] a day but rarely reach this target.

ReputationRep:
    I get more than 5...I have at least 2, getting on for 3 at breakfast (OJ, clementine, strawbs and bananas on my cereal), I try to have at least 2 portions of veg with my dinner (often it's 3 or 4) and snack on a carrot or celery (or both) during the day, and I tend to have an apple in the evening, maybe some grapes or whatnot just after dinner.

So I probably have 4 or 5 portions of fruit and 3 or 4 portions of veg in the average day...we're supposed to aim for at least 8 apparently, our '5-a-day' aim is one of the lowest in the world!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrincessAriadne)
    Ho many portions of fruit or veg do you get on an average day? (fruit juice from the supermarket does not count, unless it's not from concentrate and not processed)

Example of '1 portion':

1 apple, banana, pear, orange or other similar sized fruit
    2 plums, satsumas, kiwi fruit or other similar sized fruit
    1⁄2 a grapefruit or avocado
    1 large slice of melon or fresh pineapple
    3 heaped tablespoons of vegetables, beans or pulses
    3 heaped tablespoons of fruit salad or stewed fruit
    1 heaped tablespoon of raisins or sultanas
    3 dried apricots
    1 cupful of grapes, cherries or berries
    1 dessert bowl of salad
    Why doesn't fruit juice count? It says it on the pack so surely that means it is a portion?

Id say 5 on a bad day, 8+ On a good day, varies depending on what is in the house... 2 Days ago it was just grapes, juice, and what I get with dinner and lunch, but yesterday there were grapes oranges dates etc etc, so a lot more, salad with every meal throws it up there to be honest, 90% of my meals I have a salad with.

ReputationRep:
    I nearly always have more than 5. I always have a banana at breakfast, a huge salad for lunch (loads of lettuce and cucumber, a whole pepper, 2/3 spring onions, olives, beetroot sometimes, as well as nuts and protein), anything up to 7/8 vegetables with dinner (if in a sauce, 2 or 3 if separate), at least one apple a day, and sometimes grapes and dried apricots as well.

ReputationRep:
    I probably only get about 3 or less.
    I love my fruit, less keen on vegetables though....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paella)
    Yeah I get my 5 a day - 1 bannana in breakfast cereal, I'll probably eat a couple of satsumas as snacks, and I'll have a smoothie in the evening with two banannas in
    No you don't - you can only count the same fruit or vegetable once in a day. So say your day goes like this:

1 glass grape juice (breakfast)
    1 peach (breakfast)
    tomato soup (lunch)
    1 strawberry yoghurt (after lunch)
    some grapes (afternoon snack)
    pasta with sauce containing tomato and carrot (dinner)

...then you've only had 5 portions a day there (grape juice, peach, tomato soup, strawberry yoghurt, carrot) not 7 (because the grapes in the afternoon and the tomato in the sauce are duplicates of fruit and veg you've had earlier in the day).

ReputationRep:
    i used to be OBSESSED with getting my five a day and used to eat about 8 just in case...these days, i barely manage one..
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It varies. Sometimes I have none, sometimes 5+.

ReputationRep:
    I think I've had a grand total of 1 so far today. I've found that buying fruit isn't really purse-friendly, since it goes off quite fast. Frozen veg is much better.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the day, but on average 2... We had to keep track of it for a PHSE class once and everyone just lied about their results because no-one could manage it.

ReputationRep:
    3+

Innocent Smoothies are excellent if you want to get your 5 a day easier. 2/5 in each glass I think.

ReputationRep:
    Hardly ever. Most days its 2 or 3 at best. Other days, I'm ashamed to admit, its none.

Although I have just eaten a huge bowl of fresh tomato and basil soup, which, according to the packet is one portion

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.