Turn on thread page Beta

From best friend to boyfriend? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys any advice here would be much appreciated!!

Basically, there's this guy, he's my best friend pretty much. We tell each other everything, I know him better than I know a lot of my family. I've had romantic feelings for him for quite a while and I'm sure now that it's not just feelings for a close friend, it really is something more than that.

What I want to know is...how do I get him to see me as more than just his friend? Sometimes it seems like he likes me too, and other times I'm not certain. He went out with a few girls before we got to be good friends and since then he's not dated anybody

I really want this to go further than "just friends" but I'm scared that if I tell him outright that I like him it will just ruin our friendship.

Help, please!!

ReputationRep:
    I was debating something similar and have decided against it. We ended up kissing once while drunk. I would date to lose him as a friend and the only way I can see it happening is if we dated and it went wrong

ReputationRep:
    drop subtle hints

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beatleboar)
    drop subtle hints
    Well, such as what?

Sorry, I'm pretty clueless!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChopinNocturne)
    Well, such as what?

Sorry, I'm pretty clueless!!
    like quite sexual things i guess , then see if he reacts.. ermm like do it in a jokey way first.

ReputationRep:
    I went out with my best friend.

Best way to do it IMO. We're still together over 3 years down the line It can work

ReputationRep:
    i've recently got together with my best friend of a little over a year.
    we'd often got drunk and one of us would come on to the other but one of us was sober enough to realise sex wasn't a good idea, then we both got ******** and just did it. then the next day we did it again. then the next day we did it sober. after about 2 weeks of this we decided we should just get together.
    we'd said I love you to each other for a few months though.

in short: my advice is to get drunk and say whatever you want, if he doesn't respond how you want then blame it on being really drunk! don't go for the sex though, that could end really badly.

I realise this is essentially horrible advice but it's easy.

ReputationRep:
    How old are you?

Nah, just go to a party with him. If he's staying over then try and sleep next to him, then get close.. first nudging nearer his shoulder, then onto his hands and then whatever else :L Thats how I got with my current!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bbeben)
    How old are you?

Nah, just go to a party with him. If he's staying over then try and sleep next to him, then get close.. first nudging nearer his shoulder, then onto his hands and then whatever else :L Thats how I got with my current!

We have completely different friendship groups apart from each other, so we don't go to the same parties or anything

ReputationRep:
    I'm dating my former best friend! Okay, it can be amazing being that close with someone already before you start dating, and there are so many pluses to the relationship. But I think it does kinda jeapoardise the chance of any relationship afterwards :/ now we're 10 months in and I know if we broke up its reallly unlikely we would revert back to being best friends again, it's just something I've had to come to accept. I don't reckon only telling him will ruin it though if he doesn't like you back, especially if you don't make a massive deal out of it.

As for letting him know, as somebody else said, drop subtle hints! When you're talking make like mild sexual jokes and stuff, be a bit suggestive and see what his reaction is. And...yeah, drunk is pretty much the easiest way to tell them, but it'd probs be nicer to ONLY tell them when you're drunk - if they like you back then a sober first kiss is probably wayyy more enjoyable :| I first hooked up with this guy when we were both absolutely trashed and it just made it a bit messy, and although according to the people who were with us the moment was nice and romantic, my memory is definitely hazy -_-

ReputationRep:
    If you like him, tell him!

Obviously it helps that he likes you - is there anything to suggest he might? I mean if you believe he REALLY doesn't then I can't see any point in telling him but if you think he might like you back then sure - don't live in "what ifs".

Edit: I agree with "ourlastmemory" - sadly if you do get together for a long period of time it'll probably ruin any chances of you having a good friendship after. Of course many times people have become friends afterwards but, for me at least, I got with my friend (she wasn't really my best friend) and after breaking up I don't think I want to be friends with her. I mean, if it's a bad break up you might just find out a lot about the person that you never knew that you won't like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnanimity)
    I went out with my best friend.

Best way to do it IMO. We're still together over 3 years down the line It can work
    Exact same here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ourlastmemory)
    I first hooked up with this guy when we were both absolutely trashed and it just made it a bit messy, and although according to the people who were with us the moment was nice and romantic, my memory is definitely hazy -_-
    haha that sounds so much like me. although we only properly got together fairly recently we had a fight in the pub in front of all our friends a few months ago, which ended in a romantic speech and a passionate kiss. none of which I remember in any great detail. would be nice to able to recall the moment he announced he was in love with me. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    haha that sounds so much like me. although we only properly got together fairly recently we had a fight in the pub in front of all our friends a few months ago, which ended in a romantic speech and a passionate kiss. none of which I remember in any great detail. would be nice to able to recall the moment he announced he was in love with me. :o:
    Haha, awww that sounds like a scene out of a movie! curse the effects of alcohol :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I had a whole thread about this the other way round. Well except some different things involved, ehem. Anyway in my experience its girls who find it alot easier to have 'friendships' with guys as opposed to relationships, and this should work to your advantage. In the end I just told the girl, and as I expected she said she saw me as a friend (it took months of begging to win her over). Even though nothing at changed I felt it was a lot easier to talk to each other, there was this divide between us before where I found it harder and harder to talk to her, and as soon as I told her it vanished, and we became even better friends. If your too scared to tell him the truth, then try telling a friend to 'let it slip' to them, and that way at least they know how you feel. Part of the problem might be they don't realise you have these feelings, so never take the time to comprehend his feelings for you.

A final warning though, while we were just best friends, we could talk about anything, including other guys and girls, as hard as i've tried to keep it that way, things have changed, and although I still love her more than anything, I don't feel as close as a friend as I was before, we talk about different things and argue ALOT more.

Hope this helps, good luck!

xxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 5, 2009
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.