Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have my theory test coming up pretty soon.

Just wondering, on the day of the test, will there be loads of other people there taking the theory test too? Or does everyone just take it at different times? Or what happens?

ReputationRep:
    at my test centre there was normally about 5 or 6 people in there with you

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people there at the same time, although I don't know if anyone will start at exactly the same time; you are in a little cubical sorta thing with a computer screen which you have your 1 hour (excessive!) time limit on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grodecki)
    Lots of people there at the same time, although I don't know if anyone will start at exactly the same time; you are in a little cubical sorta thing with a computer screen which you have your 1 hour (excessive!) time limit on.
    I'm worried about the HPT...sometimes I do really well on the mock test, other time it's like EPIC FAIL!

ReputationRep:
    There was 1 person in the waiting room and about 7 people taking the test when i went in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ieo91)
    There was 1 person in the waiting room and about 7 people taking the test when i went in.
    Oh right, I thought everyone started together.

Do you have to wait till the exact start time or do they usually let you in to take the test as soon as you get there?

ReputationRep:
    When I went in today, I was about 30 minutes early, and no one else was in there so they just put me in.

When it got to 1PM, when I should've been sitting it, the room was full.

I'd recommend getting there early, basically

ReputationRep:
    There's loads of people in there with you but everyone has their own time and their own test to do not just the theory test, some are taking UKCAT, some are taking LNAT and other tests. Also, I found that HPT on the CD was much harder than the real one, because in the real thing the car is driving at literally 10mph so you have YEARS to take in what's around you. You'll know what I mean when you take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poshtotty)
    Oh right, I thought everyone started together.

Do you have to wait till the exact start time or do they usually let you in to take the test as soon as you get there?
    Mine was at 2 pm. The letter says arrive 15 mins early so i got there at 1-45 i signed in, put stuff in the locker and read the rules. I then go in to take the test about 1-50. The test then took me about 20 mins to complete.

ReputationRep:
    There will be others around you, in my case there were 7 other people, 5 sitting test before me at 1 taking test same time as me. You will feel relaxed as there are also others that are stressed lol.

ReputationRep:
    At my test centre there are about 10 computers to be worked at and they're all divided slightly by a cubicle type barrier just the screen bit and a little out past that (just to make peaking at screens difficult i guess).

Where I went we were allowed to go in and start as soon as a computer was freed up, which for some was before the stated time, so do make sure you get there 15 mins before the test like the letter says

Everyone at mine also started at different times and so finished at different times, so you do have people coming in and out but you won't notice that, especially when you put the headphones on for the hazard perception part.

Good luck in your exam

ReputationRep:
    there will be many other people there

but you're in your own booth/cubicle so can ignore them

there will be people in there already started and some will come in after touve started but you shouldnt get distracted as youve got headphones on

mine started 20 minutes early as i got there too early :p:

ReputationRep:
    when i did mine, there were quite a few who went in at the same time as me. When i came out (bearing in mind half the people who started with me were still doing theirs) there were a few more people waiting to go in.

ReputationRep:
    How much did you all revise? (i.e. estimate the total amount of hours you put in)

And how does hazard perception work? are you shown a series of videos? or just one long video?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_qwerty)
    How much did you all revise? (i.e. estimate the total amount of hours you put in)

And how does hazard perception work? are you shown a series of videos? or just one long video?
    I probably put in about 12 hours worth, with 5 or so of those the day before. (not condoning this, but i did get 50/50 on the multiple choice bit).

you're shown 14 video clips of varying length, before each begins you will have 10 seconds to prepare (you will just have a box saying how many seconds left while showing a still of the start of the clip).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJFarmer)
    I probably put in about 12 hours worth, with 5 or so of those the day before. (not condoning this, but i did get 50/50 on the multiple choice bit).

you're shown 14 video clips of varying length, before each begins you will have 10 seconds to prepare (you will just have a box saying how many seconds left while showing a still of the start of the clip).
    Thanks for the input. Much Appreciated.

The info was precise and to the point - exactly what I was looking for...

Cheers :yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.