Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...why is it so hard to find one?

I went camping on D of E when I was 16, and we camped in various farmers' fields in the Peak District, which our school had set up for us, and it cost us around £1 each per night and we were the only people camping there.

The other day my friend mentioned it would be fun to go camping, so four of us booked train tickets up to the Lake District this weekend. Now we're looking for campsites and it's impossible...

is the Lake District so different from the Peak District that there are no kind farmers who will let people pitch in their fields for the night? Or am I just looking in the wrong places?

ReputationRep:
    You could try yellow paging some farmers but I'm not sure they will be all that keen on letting teenager's pitch up on their fields. If you go to a proper campsite you'll probably get showers etc.

ReputationRep:
    We're not teenagers. Proper campsites seem expensive/booked-up/being-difficult-for-the-sake-of-it (e.g. "turn up and see if we have space!", as if we could just walk somewhere else if not...).

I'm sure this should be much simpler than it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crafty bison)
    We're not teenagers. Proper campsites seem expensive/booked-up/being-difficult-for-the-sake-of-it (e.g. "turn up and see if we have space!", as if we could just walk somewhere else if not...).

I'm sure this should be much simpler than it is.
    It is peak season so most campsites will be full. Maybe try the farmers in that case or just keep looking at various campsites until you find one that does have availability.

ReputationRep:
    Where abouts are you looking to go in the Lakes?

There are loads of sites around Hawkshead, but most don't take booking. There are some good ones in Wasdale but I reckon that'll be awkward to get to if you're going by train!

ReputationRep:
    We're getting the train up to Oxenholme. I found phone numbers for a few places so will give them a ring in a bit... You see, this is why you should never assume your friend has actually planned things properly!

ReputationRep:
    Haha, well good luck with getting something sorted.

If all else fails, camp in a field/on a fell for a night, but beware of sheep! :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustRach)
    Haha, well good luck with getting something sorted.

If all else fails, camp in a field/on a fell for a night, but beware of sheep! :p:
    or depending on your preferences , a sheep might make the trip that little bit more special .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by never killed a man)
    or depending on your preferences , a sheep might make the trip that little bit more special .
    :rofl:

Oh, perhaps you misunderstood? I meant: "Beware of the sheep - they're not exactly gentle and they always expect you to make them breakfast the following morning"

ReputationRep:
    Im from the lake district, well south cumbria, where are you looking to stay?
    Although I think I could be a bit late in this reply. Hope you have a good time

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.