Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
    Wow, no one had that on their badge when we got them.

Got my first shift on Wednesday... but I'm already thinking of leaving. I live in London, but this Sainsbury's is by my University in Bristol, and one of my days is a Saturday, which means I can never go home because of the way it works out with my lecture days.
    Ask for a change of contract hours? I don't know if you have lectures everyday, but I find Sainsbury's to be pretty flexible when you need them to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    I am too. I dont get it lol I dont see why you dont go & buy some black trousers. No one uses the Sainsburys ones anyway?

I got my new fleece today, its alright! Its bigger than my old one, & they have Sainsburys written across the back now!
    My badge broke, pin came out, so I am wearing one with the name Jade on it. I like the name Jade! :yes:

as I say, long story, but if no one on ere wears their uniform trousers, doesn't someone wanna sell me theirs? I need to get hold of a pair of uniform trousers, not just plain black ones...if any lads have got a pair, 32 waist, drop me a private message so I can sort this out. cheers guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    This is so unfair. I have asked for that jacket on countless occasions, but they won't give me one until my current fleece dies. I don't even use the fleece because it is too small. >;l

I may have to find a bottle of bleach and "accidently" have a customer pour it down me.

Anyone recommend a good bleach? I seem to find bleaches nowadays don't stain.
    Basics
    Are you still in orange or plum?
    You could always cut a hole in it "By accident"

ReputationRep:
    Ask for a change of contract hours? I don't know if you have lectures everyday, but I find Sainsbury's to be pretty flexible when you need them to be.

I could... but after christmas my lecture days change as well, so I'd have to move my Wednesday anyway. So I'd be asking to move both days. It's not really fair to ask them to change my Saturday as soon as I start working there.

I'll be dumping loads on them! Moving both days... going home in June until September lol

ReputationRep:
    Oh boy, I can't wait for Uni next year... not!!

Seems crazy, if you ask me!! All these time changes of lectures...

Speaking of which, after visiting an open day yesterday, I've decided I'd LOVE to have all my lectures on Second Life!!! Maybe that's just me. But the guy who did the talk said that he had a student once send their avatar into the Second Life lecture NAKED!! LOL! And they got busted for it! Funny stuff. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I had my interview on friday. It went pretty well I believe. At the end of the interview the lady said that my customer service skills were really good. Ermm everything else was fine. Even though the store is really far from where I live I would still love this job. Though I havent heard from them yet. She said give it a week !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kateey)
    I had my interview on friday. It went pretty well I believe. At the end of the interview the lady said that my customer service skills were really good. Ermm everything else was fine. Even though the store is really far from where I live I would still love this job. Though I havent heard from them yet. She said give it a week !
    A week is even optimistic, I had my interview 2 weeks tommorow and have still not been contacted, I even rang HRSS a couple of days ago and they said that they had sill not heard anything from the store. I just want to know yes or no :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    This is so unfair. I have asked for that jacket on countless occasions, but they won't give me one until my current fleece dies. I don't even use the fleece because it is too small. >;l

I may have to find a bottle of bleach and "accidently" have a customer pour it down me.

Anyone recommend a good bleach? I seem to find bleaches nowadays don't stain.
    I waited til a couple of weeks ago (have been there since november) & put down for a new one. And got it today :yes: They didn't ask why I wanted another. My old one was slightly on the small side, thats why I asked for another. Love the bigger one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AgentSushi)
    A week is even optimistic, I had my interview 2 weeks tommorow and have still not been contacted, I even rang HRSS a couple of days ago and they said that they had sill not heard anything from the store. I just want to know yes or no :banghead:

The thing is she said the position will start from november and I was stupid enough to forget to ask how many people were they willing to take on ! Is your's a christmas position?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what i should wear for an interview?

Like jeans or what!?

Also do you ever have to go around the shop - picking out a meal for a person with a nut allergy or something along thoughs lines. I just dont know what to expect or to wear! Plus i have to walk through town at midnight to get to this interview. Grr.

ReputationRep:
    ahhh my store is really annoying me.

I've been there since April and keep getting my 'temporary' contract extended, why do they keep doing this? I'm not intending on going anywhere anytime soon. why do they feel the need to scare me that they can get rid of me whenever?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Jarexi)

Like jeans or what!?

Also do you ever have to go around the shop - picking out a meal for a person with a nut allergy or something along thoughs lines. I just dont know what to expect or to wear! Plus i have to walk through town at midnight to get to this interview. Grr.
    I wore black trousers and a blouse and a cardigan, with flats.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShortyGetLow)
    ahhh my store is really annoying me.

I've been there since April and keep getting my 'temporary' contract extended, why do they keep doing this? I'm not intending on going anywhere anytime soon. why do they feel the need to scare me that they can get rid of me whenever?
    You should be happy that they love you!

ReputationRep:
    You should be happy that they love you!
    I am happy, I just want to be a 'permanent' employee, what with the amount of time I've been there, they're giving the impression that I'll be finishing soon.. I don't even want to think about looking for another job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShortyGetLow)
    I am happy, I just want to be a 'permanent' employee, what with the amount of time I've been there, they're giving the impression that I'll be finishing soon.. I don't even want to think about looking for another job.
    I presume you have asked if you could become a permanent employee, if you have, what would their be excuse to not make you one? Because you have been there for 8 months, it is ridiculous that they wouldn't make you a permanent since you must be a good, hard working if they have kept you one for that long.

ReputationRep:
    Interview last Wednesday and got offered a Job this morning. Really chuffed and can't wait to start as I have been so bored the last couple of weeks. My induction is this saturday so not so long to wait.

ReputationRep:

Like jeans or what!?

Smart casual, TBH at my interview that didn't really care. I wore jeans and some smart brown shoes.

Don't think you will have to do that. I just sat in a room on my own and completed the DVD test and then one of the managers came in and asked me some basic questions and confirmed the hours etc. Do a little swatting up on sainsburys, the manager asked me about it and was impressed by what I knew, It gives a good impression. Good luck with interview, trust me it's the most laid back interview i've been to. Nothing to worry about.

(Original post by inksplodge)
    It's good, I love it! The people are great. I just feel slightly rubbish even though I've worked 6 shifts now. Everyone is really nice though and helps me out if I'm not sure, and... yeah. As one of the people says, "Everyone makes mistakes so don't worry about it" and I'm trying to follow that :yep: but it's still a real confidence blow. Hoping this week will be better and I will attempt to do more in the way of pulling/carrying stuff, even though I'm tiny and it's super difficult. I am getting familiar with my usual 'area' though and I am learning new things all the time.
    Brilliant. I'm glad you're loving it I agree, most of the people that I've worked with were really nice. You get the odd 'person', but you learn to ignore them. It's so true, everyone does make mistakes. I've seen senior staff make mistakes that could potentially have catastrophic consequences on the rest of the day; and they're 'manager material'.

I take it you're on about the rollcages? Don't even get me started on them. I cut myself not once, not twice but a massive seven times; and it's only eight times I've had to use them.

I'm sure you'll be fine though. Good Luck!

Like jeans or what!?

It is advised to wear something smart/casual. But in my experience, it hasn't made any real difference what you wore. I've seen people interviewed in basic baggy jeans and yet still been offered jobs.

As already posted, the interview will take form of a DVD test as well as some additional questions at the discretion of the interview. You won't have to walk around the store etc, as it isn't part of the protocol for the interview DVD test and as your job offer is made on the result of the DVD test, even if you were to walk around on the store; it wouldn't make a difference as you aren't assessed on it.

Good Luck! :woo:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Brilliant. I'm glad you're loving it I agree, most of the people that I've worked with were really nice. You get the odd 'person', but you learn to ignore them. It's so true, everyone does make mistakes. I've seen senior staff make mistakes that could potentially have catastrophic consequences on the rest of the day; and they're 'manager material'.

I take it you're on about the rollcages? Don't even get me started on them. I cut myself not once, not twice but a massive seven times; and it's only eight times I've had to use them.

I'm sure you'll be fine though. Good Luck!
    Yeah I am :redface: They're so heavy! I am just too small to pull one if it's full. I have enough trouble getting the totes out of them lol.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.