Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    First shift on thurs Will need to get till trained though. Hope I understand it ok
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Good luck John! you'll love it. Not sure about the tills though, you might not :woo: lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Oh my days!
    Just out of interest, ive never worked on the tills, or customer services, but does Sainsburys give them a FREE replacement if they break something in the shop?
    As far as I know, we did last night..3rd bottle for the kid and the woman got a new bottle of wine/new box of cereal since she got them all wine infested.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crawleytownfc)
    yep/
    Thanks.

(Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
    This Sainsbury's had split the group into three in advance, as their usual big room was busy. So the other's had already been. I liked our tour... but not the big freezers. Cold!

What union people?

We're not being till trained at all None of us are till people and they're not evn training us for it I think a different induction group were the tillers, hehe.

We get paid for it all :p: Yay! I've already started buying better food, now that I'll get more money. Even if it is still a month away.

The uniforms are just so big!
    My second day was much, much better. A good trainer makes all the difference in the world.

The freezers were awful!

USDAW. Someone came to try to convince us to join up, they didn't do a very good job. It was, essentially, "Join USDAW. You might injure yourself or die. We'll help you. Our lawyers will help you when you get caught serving age restricted products to minors. Join."

Ohhhh, for some reason I thought you would be on the tills. I'm doing my till training later this week. Hopefully I'm not completely rubbish. I wonder if they'll let us start doing our shifts, we didn't actually complete our induction fully (through no fault of our own, I should add).

I haven't got my uniform yet, don't know if we'll actually get them since they've run out and are trying to source them and are getting the new ones in soon anyway. No idea what I'll wear to training. :dong:

Oh, did your Test Your Knowledge things get collected in or..?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I didn't join USDAW... I didn't think it was worth it but I don't know. I didn't join the SSA either but I kind of wish I had now, but I don't know. Is it worth it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mark1988)
    I have an interview on Monday for a night shift team leader role. I rang yesterdsay and the lady on the phone said I would have a DVD test to complete followed by a basic arithmetic test and then a one to one interview. Can anyone explain the DVD test to me?
    i have got mine on thursday - can anyone answer this
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    DVD test is easy enough. Don't know what we're allowed to say about it though.

ReputationRep:
    Turning point in my life...

College sucks. Sainsbury's doesn't - for once!

Maybe the retail sector is my calling... but maybe I'm put there to fight through it and get to a higher position (not necessarily in Sainsbury's though) but yeah... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Quick question,

When are the Xmas Temp jobs are going to be published? Are there any signs already at the stores? I don't think I've seen any and the website says "mid october".

This is mid october already isn't it? Where are those jooooobs?!

ReputationRep:
    arg just came home from doing 8 hours today, I am knackered.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure when the Christmas jobs will be available but try this - http://www.sainsburystrybeforeyoubuy.co.uk/ - register with them and they should let you know when there are vacancies at your store

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john_daniel)
    Not sure when the Christmas jobs will be available but try this - http://www.sainsburystrybeforeyoubuy.co.uk/ - register with them and they should let you know when there are vacancies at your store
    Thanks, I'll try that
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    My shifts are always 10 hours long, I'd love an 8 hour shift!

One more day of boredom until work! Can't believe I actually look forward to it despite being awful at it. This week is a new week... It's going to go well, right

ReputationRep:
    First shift tomorrow at 1 8 Hours of filling the fresh, chilled area. The induction taught us nothing about our roles, so I have no idea where to start or where things go!

(Original post by Absurd)
    Thanks.

My second day was much, much better. A good trainer makes all the difference in the world.

The freezers were awful!

USDAW. Someone came to try to convince us to join up, they didn't do a very good job. It was, essentially, "Join USDAW. You might injure yourself or die. We'll help you. Our lawyers will help you when you get caught serving age restricted products to minors. Join."

Ohhhh, for some reason I thought you would be on the tills. I'm doing my till training later this week. Hopefully I'm not completely rubbish. I wonder if they'll let us start doing our shifts, we didn't actually complete our induction fully (through no fault of our own, I should add).

I haven't got my uniform yet, don't know if we'll actually get them since they've run out and are trying to source them and are getting the new ones in soon anyway. No idea what I'll wear to training. :dong:

Oh, did your Test Your Knowledge things get collected in or..?
    They took in our test booklet from the end The one that gives you marks. But not the booklet you fill out over the induction. Tht was ours to keep for information. You?

The long sleeve polo's are so funny. They look so weird. But I'll be wearing it anyway. Damn small size being too big.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    First shift tomorrow at 1 8 Hours of filling the fresh, chilled area. The induction taught us nothing about our roles, so I have no idea where to start or where things go!

They took in our test booklet from the end The one that gives you marks. But not the booklet you fill out over the induction. Tht was ours to keep for information. You?

The long sleeve polo's are so funny. They look so weird. But I'll be wearing it anyway. Damn small size being too big.
    Don't worry, we weren't told about our roles until we started! They won't expect you to know where everything is (heck, people who have been there years still don't know everything) so don't worry about it.

I have a long sleeve polo (blue one) but it is sooo big. The sleeves are literally twice the size of my arms, and it's a small!

ReputationRep:
    Needing some clarification about income tax.

So tax depends on how much you make per week/month and annually.

If I begin to earn more than my personal allowance, they tax whatever percentage from it.

If I earn over a certain amount per week/month they will tax me but if I earn less the next month they will pay me back as part of the PAYE system.

I have been researching this for the whole day and I am not too sure whether I have hit the nail on the head yet.

Still rather confused about NI tax though, any care to enlighten me :p:?

OH YEAH The pay rise everyone that was mentioned a few weeks back...does that even include the new starters? I got my pay slip today and saw that I have went up from 6.30ph to 6.44ph which I realised it is about 2.5% increase that someone mentioned before in regard to the pay rise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I didn't join USDAW... I didn't think it was worth it but I don't know. I didn't join the SSA either but I kind of wish I had now, but I don't know. Is it worth it?
    Who knows. I joined. Only because its cheap. Haven't had to use them yet. But apparently they're good if you run into disputes with your employer :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Oh my days!
    Just out of interest, ive never worked on the tills, or customer services, but does Sainsburys give them a FREE replacement if they break something in the shop?
    Once they leave the shop, we don't offer them a free replacement - unless in accordance with the returns policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Don't worry, we weren't told about our roles until we started! They won't expect you to know where everything is (heck, people who have been there years still don't know everything) so don't worry about it.

I have a long sleeve polo (blue one) but it is sooo big. The sleeves are literally twice the size of my arms, and it's a small!
    We don't have lockers either, as the last people left with the keys. Apparantly I have to give my stuff to customer services. I'll be worrying about my stuff all shift.

Although I do know that I have to fine "Tom", who's my Supervisor, so I might end up following him for a bit, or asking him where I should begin each time I start my shift and the type of stuff I'll be doing throughout.

I've decided not to wear my long sleeve polo. If I get hot and have to take of my zip-up, I have nowhere to put it haha. So short sleeve all the way. I just wish I could tie it at the back,or something.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    We don't have lockers either, as the last people left with the keys. Apparantly I have to give my stuff to customer services. I'll be worrying about my stuff all shift.

Although I do know that I have to fine "Tom", who's my Supervisor, so I might end up following him for a bit, or asking him where I should begin each time I start my shift and the type of stuff I'll be doing throughout.

I've decided not to wear my long sleeve polo. If I get hot and have to take of my zip-up, I have nowhere to put it haha. So short sleeve all the way. I just wish I could tie it at the back,or something.
    Ohh, some people haven't got lockers cos of double issuing keys and stuff and they just keep their stuff in the office, no-one is around though so it's ok.

I follow my supervisor around a bit too... Oops. Never mind. They'd rather you knew what you were doing!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.