ReputationRep:
    I Officially Hate Sainsbury's!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tubbsy)
    I Officially Hate Sainsbury's!
    We love you though:p:

What's up?

ReputationRep:
    I thought Sainsbury's have a 'use them or lose them' policy when it comes to holidays? So if you left they wouldn't pay you any holidays? I know the law says different, but what do they care ;lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tokyorose888)
    are you leaving?

if you are do you still take things seriously there(e.g : mcm ) ive seen some people give in their notice then they just muck arond and call in sick etc. lol i might do that but i doubt that they'll give me a good reference if i do

anyone know if they automatically give you a reference if you leave? and i know that i'll have to give in 4 weeks notice but are there any exceptions that can get you to leave earlier?

thanks
    Pretty sure they can't force you to stay! I've heard... crazy things about discipliniary dates in the past!! What the hell, how they can give you a date that was a whole month ago and you can only just get the letter now I'll never know!

They need to get better.

Haha ohh my favourite past time with Sainsbury's so far has to be coming back from Australia, bleary-eyed at 7 a.m. UK time sorting through the ****-load of mail on the table thinking "somewhere in here somewhere I know there's gonna be something addressed to me regarding Sainsbury's..."

NOT because I did anything wrong. But apparently I don't know my contract or something... like randomly I got mistaken for a temp instead of a permanent contract so I marched in there and I was like... the hell? They didn't pay me for the last 2 weeks of January that I worked and so I had to fight for £122! Haha that was fun.

See - you go away for 4 weeks and they mistake you for someone else as well...

Crazy. :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    Pretty sure they can't force you to stay! I've heard... crazy things about discipliniary dates in the past!! What the hell, how they can give you a date that was a whole month ago and you can only just get the letter now I'll never know!

They need to get better.

Haha ohh my favourite past time with Sainsbury's so far has to be coming back from Australia, bleary-eyed at 7 a.m. UK time sorting through the ****-load of mail on the table thinking "somewhere in here somewhere I know there's gonna be something addressed to me regarding Sainsbury's..."

NOT because I did anything wrong. But apparently I don't know my contract or something... like randomly I got mistaken for a temp instead of a permanent contract so I marched in there and I was like... the hell? They didn't pay me for the last 2 weeks of January that I worked and so I had to fight for £122! Haha that was fun.

Haha :p: - Am I sure I want to start there now!

ReputationRep:

They need to get better.

We're just a number in Sainsbury's world. On TSR we can let our real personalities roam wild

ReputationRep:
    With regards to holiday, how long to we have to use them up? Is it until January? I have some holiday planned this month but might cancel them to use them for other dates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rowan126)
    With regards to holiday, how long to we have to use them up? Is it until January? I have some holiday planned this month but might cancel them to use them for other dates.
    You use them up until the end of march I think. Because of the financial year.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I'll see if I can cancel some days then to use instead on Uni open days. (I work weekends)

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone read the artical in the paper today about an undercover checkout girl at Sainsbury's?
    It's pretty interesting to be honest, and is all true about working on checkouts, it covers all the different types of people that we all meet everyday and what people are like from our view.

It's in the Daily Mail in the 'femail magazine' bit

ReputationRep:
    soif i give in my notice on sat 8th aug, the date that i'll be "leaving" is september 5th?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tokyorose888)
    soif i give in my notice on sat 8th aug, the date that i'll be "leaving" is september 5th?
    Yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wannabe)
    Has anyone read the artical in the paper today about an undercover checkout girl at Sainsbury's?
    It's pretty interesting to be honest, and is all true about working on checkouts, it covers all the different types of people that we all meet everyday and what people are like from our view.

It's in the Daily Mail in the 'femail magazine' bit
    They said something about that in our Huddle, and said if anyone asks about it we have to go to a duty manager or something, i wasnt listening properly, but yeah, i havn't read it.

ReputationRep:
    You can read it online. I'm guessing its the full article, i've not read the paper.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-the-till.html

EDIT: The woman has wrote a book as well. The website has some sample chapters: http://www.thecheckoutgirl.co.uk/page3.htm

One customer comes to the till without any plastic bags and just one
    granny trolley (also known as a granny cart, shopping bag on wheels, wheelie trolley, wheelie shopper). ‘Can you count this as four bags please?’
    ‘You don’t actually have four bags though, you only have one…’ I look over the counter trying to decide how to describe the tartan box on wheels ‘… one of those.’
    ‘Yes, but if I didn’t have it, I’d be using four of your bags.’
    ‘Right.’
    ‘And I’m not, I’m using one of my own.’
    ‘So I’ll give you one Nectar point then.’
    ‘Yes, but technically it’s like me bringing in four bags.’
    ‘But you didn’t actually bring in four bags.’
    Why am I arguing about this?
    ‘Yes, but this much shopping would have required four bags.’
    ‘If you only bring in one bag – I can only give you one point.’
    ‘So you’re not going to give me four points, even though I’d need four bags to take this home?’
    ‘No, because you only have one bag.’
    ‘Job’s-worth,’ he finally mutters under his breath. I cannot disagree – and I’m not quite sure what possessed me.
    I always give more points based on how many bags they would have likely used if they didn't have there own. So if they have a trolley I normally give a few depending on how much shopping they had. Never had anything said about it to me, I don't think they even monitor it as long as you are actually adding bags for reuse.

I also don't get the one about her having to authorise alcohol for under 18s on checkouts, the Mail article said she started in Nov 2008. I started in Sept 08 and the policy had been changed to a supervisor only being able to authorise it before i joined. I recon shes just making a lot of this up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    You can read it online. I'm guessing its the full article, i've not read the paper.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...-the-till.html

EDIT: The woman has wrote a book as well. The website has some sample chapters: http://www.thecheckoutgirl.co.uk/page3.htm

I always give more points based on how many bags they would have likely used if they didn't have there own. So if they have a trolley I normally give a few depending on how much shopping they had. Never had anything said about it to me, I don't think they even monitor it as long as you are actually adding bags for reuse.
    I always give a few extra points for a trolley or if they have like a massive Ikea bag or something.

Ive just read the mail article, I cant believe she noticed everything people were buying, I tend to be on auto-pilot all the time and only notice if the till prompts me for id or something. I cant believe she called for a supervisor when she got something in a case, I bet they werent happy :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah she's probably been reading TSR to write that book haha!!

Also, with crude re-reference to the earlier mention of "WOW TRAINING" a colleague and good friend of mine suggested this...

Customer: "Excuse me, where are the sanitary towels?"
    Colleague: "Right here madame, enjoy your period!"

That would wow them for sure... see how ridiculous Sainsbury's training COULD get? But I'd PAY THEM to train me to talk to customers like that, it would be a laugh to see how the business does then!!

ReputationRep:
    LOL that article is so so true. Just reminds me how out of touch they (and probably the other supermarkets too) are with the real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asriel)
    I cant believe she called for a supervisor when she got something in a case, I bet they werent happy :p:.
    Really?? What are they there for, if not to supervise? Gee I hate that place. Not long till notice time

ReputationRep:
    Yeah she's probably been reading TSR to write that book haha!!

Also, with crude re-reference to the earlier mention of "WOW TRAINING" a colleague and good friend of mine suggested this...

Customer: "Excuse me, where are the sanitary towels?"
    Colleague: "Right here madame, enjoy your period!"

That would wow them for sure... see how ridiculous Sainsbury's training COULD get? But I'd PAY THEM to train me to talk to customers like that, it would be a laugh to see how the business does then!!
    ROFL I think some fun could be had with this WOW business!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asriel)
    I always give a few extra points for a trolley or if they have like a massive Ikea bag or something.

Ive just read the mail article, I cant believe she noticed everything people were buying, I tend to be on auto-pilot all the time and only notice if the till prompts me for id or something. I cant believe she called for a supervisor when she got something in a case, I bet they werent happy :p:.
    I've only ever been told to ask anybody over 18 to authorise the sale of alcohol and other age-restricted items. And I also always give people extra nectar points by estimating how many bags worth I think they've saved/not used except for those just buying a newspaper (when it isn't raining) and other small items by themselves.

The problem for me when I go into 'auto-pilot mode' is that I automatically cancel all till prompts before properly looking at them. Then I have that awkward moment where I have to calculate the date and year an 18 year old could be. :stupid:

On another point, at your stores on the tills do you get that prompt in the green box that comes up every 15 minutes and asks you to type in the number of people standing in your queue. On our tills it doesn't allow you to type in any number other than 0. Weird :hmmmm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.