Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    And no, the holiday is use it or lose it. You don't get paid for any holiday you don't take.
    If you leave and haven't taken all the holiday you are entitled to then they pay you it in your last pay packet. They have just done this with mine.

Its if you don't book all your entitlement up by march when the financial years starts you lose anything you haven't taken.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    If you leave and haven't taken all the holiday you are entitled to then they pay you it in your last pay packet. They have just done this with mine.

Its if you don't book all your entitlement up by march when the financial years starts you lose anything you haven't taken.
    Oooh interesting. Thanks! May I ask why you're leaving?

Many thanks again :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markythe)
    Ooh another thing actually. In the 7 months I've been there I've taken no holiday's at all. So I've got like 100 hours owed or something silly like that. If I was to leave completely, would they pay me all this?
    We had a woman leave, whilst she was still owed 3 weeks holiday, so she left after 2 weeks, & still got paid for the month. If that makes sense. But she had been there a couple of years. Dont know if that makes any difference.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh interesting. Thanks! May I ask why you're leaving?

Many thanks again :yes:
    I'm doing a work placement as part of my uni course which is full time so I couldn't have kept up both. Just waiting for them to send me my P45 now which they are taking there time over. My tax is going to be all mucked up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    I'm doing a work placement as part of my uni course which is full time so I couldn't have kept up both. Just waiting for them to send me my P45 now which they are taking there time over. My tax is going to be all mucked up.
    Ah cools, well done How long did you work there? I'm thinking I might not get my full holiday entitlement if I've only been there 7 months!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    We had a woman leave, whilst she was still owed 3 weeks holiday, so she left after 2 weeks, & still got paid for the month. If that makes sense. But she had been there a couple of years. Dont know if that makes any difference.
    Ta for the advice
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    LOL I knew what you were getting at a few posts back. But I dont know the answer sorry. Its a good question though! Never thought about it before.. Do they let you go home at 6 (sort of 7) if not you will be working an extra hour shift?? And if so, how do breaks work with that? :confused:
    Yeah... and if I have to work an extra hour do I get paid for it :woo: lol so weird and confusing!

ReputationRep:
    Ah cools, well done How long did you work there? I'm thinking I might not get my full holiday entitlement if I've only been there 7 months!
    Just over a year. You should be entitled to some holiday still (it won't be the whole amount they are letting you take off as you would only be entitled to 7 months of that - so divide your entitlement by 12 and multiply by 7 to get a rough idea. ), I don't think the length you have been there will make any difference and if it does its likely 6 months as thats the cut off for most things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeyyyy1234)
    my manager just called and asked me to come in to work tomorrow half6-half10 on kiosk ( I work checkouts, am kiosk trained and work on there frequently ) however I have never closed the kiosk on my own before in the 2years ive been there lol, and am a little rusty on what to do - anyone help me out please?
    In my store we do this:

Flight the till, leave £200 float. Take the lottery tickets out of the box and put them in a trolly in a bag, take postage stamps, put them in another bag, We have another stand on the lottery area, which just locks down onto the desk, so we unlock it and put the entire stand into a trolly. Put the bags into the trolly. Close the cigarette shutter. You might be asked to put the lids on your till & lock away the shutter. Make sure you log off lottery by pressing the "Sign out" button in the top left corner.

Some supervisors are fussy when you shut the kiosk. Some say you HAVE to wait until all the customers are out of the shop, others say you may close at your closing time on the dot. Depends who is on shift.

If you get stuck, just ask.

ReputationRep:
    Well, someone stole all the hub caps off my car while I was in work so now I don't feel safe parking it there anymore. :-/

And Sainsbury's communication has failed again, the newsletter said a plan for our refit is awaiting approval, and that's all I heard, until over the tannoy today it was announced to customers that we're having a refit, one self-scan till put in, clothing, entertainment, etc. Kind of exciting, I guess, it's just a bit bad that the first time I, and I'm sure some other people, heard the details of the refit, was at the same time customers were learning about it too!

(Original post by teh_samby)
    Well, someone stole all the hub caps off my car while I was in work so now I don't feel safe parking it there anymore. :-/

And Sainsbury's communication has failed again, the newsletter said a plan for our refit is awaiting approval, and that's all I heard, until over the tannoy today it was announced to customers that we're having a refit, one self-scan till put in, clothing, entertainment, etc. Kind of exciting, I guess, it's just a bit bad that the first time I, and I'm sure some other people, heard the details of the refit, was at the same time customers were learning about it too!
    Doesn't your store have a staff car-park? Or were they removed while parked in the staff car-park?

I agree about the Sainsbury's communication bit. In the store I started at, we were due a refit in January (09) and weren't told until October (08) until it had come out in the newspapers. So here we were telling customers it was due soon, come November (08) it was announced again, in the newspapers it had been delayed - with us knowing nothing, still telling customers it was planned for the new year. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I read in the handbook that you can't serve friends or family. How strict is this? I'm at a small local store so it's very likely that I'll know a lot of the customers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShortyGetLow)
    oooh we get our new tills tonight/tomorrow night. can't wait to get to play on them

has any one started using the coupons which are triggered by nectar cards yet?
    We'll probably be the last store to get new tills i reckon lol

And as for the coupon printers, I think they go live on sunday/monday for us. We've got the printers all ready to go. Other stores nearby use them already though.

(Original post by Foulish)
    In my store we do this:

Flight the till, leave £200 float. Take the lottery tickets out of the box and put them in a trolly in a bag, take postage stamps, put them in another bag, We have another stand on the lottery area, which just locks down onto the desk, so we unlock it and put the entire stand into a trolly. Put the bags into the trolly. Close the cigarette shutter. You might be asked to put the lids on your till & lock away the shutter. Make sure you log off lottery by pressing the "Sign out" button in the top left corner.

Some supervisors are fussy when you shut the kiosk. Some say you HAVE to wait until all the customers are out of the shop, others say you may close at your closing time on the dot. Depends who is on shift.

If you get stuck, just ask.
    That's really different to our! We have to count all of the scratch cards, put them in bags to go in the cash office. Flight tills and leave £100 in each one. Print lottery & scratch card reports and put in a bag with the payouts. Plus, at some point before closing the newspapers have to be done unless someone else does them.

(Original post by john_daniel)
    I read in the handbook that you can't serve friends or family. How strict is this? I'm at a small local store so it's very likely that I'll know a lot of the customers
    Friends = Ok, Family = Not ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)

That's really different to our! We have to count all of the scratch cards, put them in bags to go in the cash office. Flight tills and leave £100 in each one. Print lottery & scratch card reports and put in a bag with the payouts. Plus, at some point before closing the newspapers have to be done unless someone else does them.
    Oh, ours also goes into the cash office with the main flight. Winning lottery tickets go down with each flight in the pod.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    Oh, ours also goes into the cash office with the main flight. Winning lottery tickets go down with each flight in the pod.
    Ah okay. It's weird how different stores of the same company do things so differently!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)

i think ours is similar to both mentioned, but obviosly more store policy than company policy. i know for a fact its 200 in a flight on kiosk.

ReputationRep:
    anyway, a pre warning to anyone wanting a job at sainsburys. DONT. the company is run by a bunch of imbosils. known fact that in our area, tescos and asda both pay better than sainsburys. stupid stupid place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    They'll tell you when you get there, don't worry!!! Do you have to go and see someone when you get there?
    I had to see the department manager. He literally showed me to the freezer and then was like "Do thse cages". That was my training :yes:

I know this is hasty, but I'm thinking of quitting. They want me to work on the 23rd of Dec, and then during the period between xmas and new year, then straight after new year... but I live in London, and this is in Bristol. Plus, I cant even go home some weekends as I work Saturday's.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by jakeyyyy1234)
    anyway, a pre warning to anyone wanting a job at sainsburys. DONT. the company is run by a bunch of imbosils. known fact that in our area, tescos and asda both pay better than sainsburys. stupid stupid place.
    well for £6.07 plus the £1.50 night shift premium I'm not complaining about the pay at all! :woo:

and my team leaders/colleagues etc are the nicest people ever. who needs tesco and asda! i'm quite happy at sainsbury's.

i don't know about working near xmas and stuff... i work thurs/fri/sat which is xmas eve, xmas day, boxing day, new years eve, new years day, the day after ... i have no idea what days i'd have to work or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)

i don't know about working near xmas and stuff... i work thurs/fri/sat which is xmas eve, xmas day, boxing day, new years eve, new years day, the day after ... i have no idea what days i'd have to work or not?
    Sainsbury's was my first job, and I was suprised to hear that quite a few people worked on xmas day - but then again, how would they be able to open for boxing day. meh.

Xmas closing time is always great. Last Christmas we closed checkouts while customers where still in the store - they where taking the mick and it was an hour after published closing time. The store manager came down and said on tannoy "This is a colleuge and customer announcement, will all cashiers please now close down, any person still shopping please leave your trolley where it is and make your way to the store entrance as we are no longer trading, we would like to also enjoy our Christmas".

We closed down and there was still a fair few people in store, we had to run around collecting the turkeys from the trolleys to stop them going down as waste :P

Edit: I just remembered out store puts a ban on staff using shopping trolleys/baskets for returns etc.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.