Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Foulish)
    Sainsbury's was my first job, and I was suprised to hear that quite a few people worked on xmas day - but then again, how would they be able to open for boxing day. meh.
    Wow! :eek3: I guess I'd have to check... how do I check? :redface:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Wow! :eek3: I guess I'd have to check... how do I check? :redface:
    Check your holiday form. It should say wheather you work on that day or not.

Xmas day lands on a Friday this year so if you work on Friday, you will probably work that day be default. I however, will need to make up my hours elsewhere in the week >;[

I took a xmas trading sheet from my store so I have all the opening hours for the dates around xmas/newyear.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Check your holiday form. It should say wheather you work on that day or not.

Xmas day lands on a Friday this year so if you work on Friday, you will probably work that day be default. I however, will need to make up my hours elsewhere in the week >;[

I took a xmas trading sheet from my store so I have all the opening hours for the dates around xmas/newyear.
    Hmm, how do I know if I work on that day or not?? :confused: The sheet doesn't really say anything other than a lot of dates...

ReputationRep:
    Sainsbury's was my first job, and I was suprised to hear that quite a few people worked on xmas day - but then again, how would they be able to open for boxing day. meh.

Xmas closing time is always great. Last Christmas we closed checkouts while customers where still in the store - they where taking the mick and it was an hour after published closing time. The store manager came down and said on tannoy "This is a colleuge and customer announcement, will all cashiers please now close down, any person still shopping please leave your trolley where it is and make your way to the store entrance as we are no longer trading, we would like to also enjoy our Christmas".

We closed down and there was still a fair few people in store, we had to run around collecting the turkeys from the trolleys to stop them going down as waste :P

Edit: I just remembered out store puts a ban on staff using shopping trolleys/baskets for returns etc.
    Haha.... love it! If only I was allowed to do that most evenings to get rid of those slow people... we had one guy who wouldn't go to checkouts 10 mins after closing few nights ago, I did a tannoy, I went to tell him a few times, and he said ok, but kept shopping. Next time he's in, I think I'll make sure all of the tills and Kiosk is closed lol
    Once, we had about 6-7 customers shopping until 9:20, and we close at 9:00... was not happy that night, as we had to get them all through the tills, half of them had trolleys too... It seemed right to just leave them one till open so they can wait lol

What do you have to use for returns now then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john_daniel)
    I read in the handbook that you can't serve friends or family. How strict is this? I'm at a small local store so it's very likely that I'll know a lot of the customers
    I dont think its a bad thing. I knew of a girl that used to serve her mum when she worked in Tesco, & she would pass loads of stuff through the till without scanning it. ON a regular basis. She was half cast & her mum was white, so I guess no one made the connection straight away! I think she got sacked for it in the end, but cant remember. Its probably rare, & obviously most wont do that, but still a risk all the same.

ReputationRep:
    you know how potatoes, carrots etc. are near empty on christmas eve, and you havent been able to get any but saw someone with one in their basket or trolley. would you take it?

thought of that last christmas eve, obviously didn't take it.

so i think you guys should take items out of peoples trolleys or baskets if they still shop after closing. would be funny, but not if you get caught.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I know I've probably asked this before, but I cannot find the posts.

I only usually do queue-busting sessions on tills during busy periods, and this means I am no expert (only been till trained 3 months anyway). BUT tomorrow I am doing some major overtime all on checkouts! :woo:

However, I need to be explained (rep available ) how to do 2 major things which I have not picked up properly:

1. Giftcards (balance enquiry; and adding balance from credit card to gift card)
    2. Mobile top up cards

If anyone can explain these things as if I am a total beginner (only a few lines should do the trick) I would be very grateful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Right, I know I've probably asked this before, but I cannot find the posts.

I only usually do queue-busting sessions on tills during busy periods, and this means I am no expert (only been till trained 3 months anyway). BUT tomorrow I am doing some major overtime all on checkouts! :woo:

However, I need to be explained (rep available ) how to do 2 major things which I have not picked up properly:

1. Giftcards (balance enquiry; and adding balance from credit card to gift card)
    2. Mobile top up cards

If anyone can explain these things as if I am a total beginner (only a few lines should do the trick) I would be very grateful!
    Hope this will make sense for you... if it doesn't tell me
    Gift Cards - Balance Enquiry
    From the main screen, press Gift Cards, then press Balance Enquiry, Then swipe the Gift Card through the pin pad.
    Gift Cards - Adding Balance
    From the main screen, press Gift Cards, then press Top Up, then type in the amount they want to top up, Then swipe the Gift Card through the pin pad, then just take the payment like you usually would.
    Mobile top up cards
    Swipe the card through the pin pad, then select the amount from the side of the screen, then take the payment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oh-No!)
    Haha.... love it! If only I was allowed to do that most evenings to get rid of those slow people... we had one guy who wouldn't go to checkouts 10 mins after closing few nights ago, I did a tannoy, I went to tell him a few times, and he said ok, but kept shopping. Next time he's in, I think I'll make sure all of the tills and Kiosk is closed lol
    Once, we had about 6-7 customers shopping until 9:20, and we close at 9:00... was not happy that night, as we had to get them all through the tills, half of them had trolleys too... It seemed right to just leave them one till open so they can wait lol

What do you have to use for returns now then?
    We still used trolleys and baskets, but we "borrowed" them from M&S xD

ReputationRep:
    Hope this will make sense for you... if it doesn't tell me
    Gift Cards - Balance Enquiry
    From the main screen, press Gift Cards, then press Balance Enquiry, Then swipe the Gift Card through the pin pad.
    Gift Cards - Adding Balance
    From the main screen, press Gift Cards, then press Top Up, then type in the amount they want to top up, Then swipe the Gift Card through the pin pad, then just take the payment like you usually would.
    Mobile top up cards
    Swipe the card through the pin pad, then select the amount from the side of the screen, then take the payment.
    Thanks, I think that all makes kinda sense.

But when you say swipe through the pinpad, can I swipe in the bit next to the keypad, instead of the chip'n'pinpad?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I think that all makes kinda sense.

But when you say swipe through the pinpad, can I swipe in the bit next to the keypad, instead of the chip'n'pinpad?
    Yeah, either bit, they both do the same thing :yep:

ReputationRep:
    just had my interview - how long does it take to get the results
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by sdubz)
    just had my interview - how long does it take to get the results
    Depends. Could be tomorrow, could be next month.

ReputationRep:
    if i don't hear in a week is there a number i can call to ask

ReputationRep:
    Im pretty sure i've got my holiday booked over xmas/new year.
    and theyve given me it.

you've gotta be quick though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Doesn't your store have a staff car-park? Or were they removed while parked in the staff car-park?

I agree about the Sainsbury's communication bit. In the store I started at, we were due a refit in January (09) and weren't told until October (08) until it had come out in the newspapers. So here we were telling customers it was due soon, come November (08) it was announced again, in the newspapers it had been delayed - with us knowing nothing, still telling customers it was planned for the new year. :mad:
    No, we don't have a staff car park, and I always have to park towards the back of the car park, since the spaces close to the store are all full at the times I get there, and now that it's winter it's always gonna be dark when my shifts finish, so... not very happy about my car's safety anymore. :-/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, either bit, they both do the same thing :yep:
    Thanks a lot.

One final thing though...I remember swiping someone's top up card before, but nothing happened. What does this mean? Is it like Nectar/Colleague cards that don't swipe and we have to enter manually.

If so, what exactly would I press to do this for a top up card?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot.

One final thing though...I remember swiping someone's top up card before, but nothing happened. What does this mean? Is it like Nectar/Colleague cards that don't swipe and we have to enter manually.

If so, what exactly would I press to do this for a top up card?
    can try re-swiping it, then try to use the pin pad to swipe.

if this doesnt work you'd press top up card, in PLU i believe, and then a prompt thing comes up. a blue box with a white strip and just type in the numero on the front.

(Original post by teh_samby)
    No, we don't have a staff car park, and I always have to park towards the back of the car park, since the spaces close to the store are all full at the times I get there, and now that it's winter it's always gonna be dark when my shifts finish, so... not very happy about my car's safety anymore. :-/
    Must be fupping annoying! I guess there is nowhere else safer you could park it though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Must be fupping annoying! I guess there is nowhere else safer you could park it though?
    Nah, nowhere else. I could walk, but I don't fancy walking home in the dark. Fingers crossed nothing else happens to it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.