Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    Nah, nowhere else. I could walk, but I don't fancy walking home in the dark. Fingers crossed nothing else happens to it!
    If the area of the carpark is dark, surely you could complain and get them to put another light in that area, so that things like that don't happen??

(Original post by teh_samby)
    Nah, nowhere else. I could walk, but I don't fancy walking home in the dark. Fingers crossed nothing else happens to it!
    I guess it's one of those situations where you're fupped either way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShortyGetLow)
    can try re-swiping it, then try to use the pin pad to swipe.

if this doesnt work you'd press top up card, in PLU i believe, and then a prompt thing comes up. a blue box with a white strip and just type in the numero on the front.
    Ok thanks.

So what do I do when I know there's £17.36 on the gift card, and the customer wants to take a) £8 off the bill with it, and b) pay the whole thing with it.

Is it

GIFTCARD>? > enter amount in pence > swipe card

Or do we do it like 2 credit cards...in which case we enter the amount in pence (before anything else) then press EFT...

Finally, what if I get an iTunes voucher, or a Debenhams gift card etc.? I have NEVER got one of those, and I don't thinkw e were trained on them either.

How do we 'activate' them? I presume we swipe them, but surely we must press something first?

ReputationRep:
    Had my first shift tonight They want me on the kiosk at the moment, was a bit disappointed since I was looking forward to doing the checkouts Do you think I'll get to do that? My contracted shifts haven't been sorted out yet. I know times during week that suit me best though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Ok thanks.

So what do I do when I know there's £17.36 on the gift card, and the customer wants to take a) £8 off the bill with it, and b) pay the whole thing with it.

Is it

Or do we do it like 2 credit cards...in which case we enter the amount in pence (before anything else) then press EFT...

Finally, what if I get an iTunes voucher, or a Debenhams gift card etc.? I have NEVER got one of those, and I don't thinkw e were trained on them either.

How do we 'activate' them? I presume we swipe them, but surely we must press something first?
    I think you scan the barcode break off the card that has the mag stripe and swipe it then a price should come up on the screen however some need to be topped up like the Club Penguin cards, with that you have to press the option that costs £3.95. Then you press enter, take out the card hand it to them and finish the transaction.

My colleague who started at the same time with me had a customer who wanted to purchase a Club Penguin card and she forgot how to do the gift card, so I did what I remembered but had NO idea what option to press in regard to topping it up because there were two options, one that cost £19.95 and £3.95. In the end we had to call the supervisor and he sorted it out, but then surprisingly when my colleague handed the customer the Club Penguin card, he stated he is not meant to have it which is not true! lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm still having trouble deciding whether or not I want to terminate my contract or not. Can anyone help me with my decision? There's reasons for and against, and I just don't know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
    I'm still having trouble deciding whether or not I want to terminate my contract or not. Can anyone help me with my decision? There's reasons for and against, and I just don't know.
    Personally I would keep the job but I do work for Waitrose and not Sainsbury. I can understand your issues about working over Christmas, but what does everybody consume loads off! I would keep it for the time being and see how you get on.

What section and what do you do their?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AwesomelyPsycho)
    I agree with lucy, same with working for waitrose though, but if you were to quit you won't be able to get another job very easily, and your not required to do loads of overtime over christmas, however i do understand your problems with having to work the days over christmas i too would have to work over christmas if it weren't for the fact we are closed on boxing day and newyears eve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    Ok thanks.

Is it

yeah exactly the same as EFT. type in the amount first, but I've found that people will use the rest of it and then add cash for the remainder.

if they're just using the card, then whilst in tender mode [where you see 'key cash amount' etc] press giftcard and it'll take it off

with the activation, scan them then swipe them. Oh and i wouldnt attempt to snap the giftcards, just swipe them through the pin pad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy King)
    Personally I would keep the job but I do work for Waitrose and not Sainsbury. I can understand your issues about working over Christmas, but what does everybody consume loads off! I would keep it for the time being and see how you get on.

What section and what do you do their?
    I'm on the fresh section, and I basically spend 8 hours filling the shelves from roll cages.

The main problem I'm having is that I can't really go home as my two working days cut the week up.

(Original post by Leighthesim)
    I agree with lucy, same with working for waitrose though, but if you were to quit you won't be able to get another job very easily, and your not required to do loads of overtime over christmas, however i do understand your problems with having to work the days over christmas i too would have to work over christmas if it weren't for the fact we are closed on boxing day and newyears eve.
    I do feel stupid and dramatic as so many people are trying to find jobs at the moment, but being so far away from home and knowing that I can't really visit is hard.

I need the money, but I just don't know if I can handle not being able to go home, and having little time with my family at Christmas.

Thanks guys for the quick replies, though. I just really need to decide so that I can let them know if I'm leaving, ASAP.

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question.

My induction starts tomorrow. When I phoned on monday to accept the offer the woman told me that I would be sent my contract in the post, I then had to sign it and take it in with me on my induction. Problem is that the post has come today and still no contract. Is this a problem or will they be able to print a contract off for me at the store?

It will be there tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    I have realised my 6 months will be up till February and not March

Small Yay!

ReputationRep:
    just got the 'good news' text, rang up and now booked in for interview next week. the girl on the phone was hard to understand so i'm hoping someone could give us a quick rundown of what to expect etc.

it's for a general assistant night shift role so i'm thinking, black trousers, plain polo/t-shirt (grey, black, white) and black shoes. still too casual or a good balance?

thanks!

I'd wear a proper long-sleeve shirt at least tbh. You want to look more presentable than the people who work there, without overdoing it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by freshapple)
    just got the 'good news' text, rang up and now booked in for interview next week. the girl on the phone was hard to understand so i'm hoping someone could give us a quick rundown of what to expect etc.

it's for a general assistant night shift role so i'm thinking, black trousers, plain polo/t-shirt (grey, black, white) and black shoes. still too casual or a good balance?

thanks!
    I wore blouse, cardigan, trousers and flats :tongue: (I work night shift) and as long as it is smart I don't think there's much of a problem with what you wear.

RE: contract - mine didn't come until the last day of induction so don't worry! They tell you to give it in as soon as you get it.

I'm tired. Shop refit has confused the hell out of me.

ReputationRep:
    when i had my interview on thursday the guy did take down my NI number, bank details and my clothes size - is this certain i got the job as im unsure and when would they call me
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by sdubz)
    when i had my interview on thursday the guy did take down my NI number, bank details and my clothes size - is this certain i got the job as im unsure and when would they call me
    That's weird, they never took my bank details. They did however take my NI number and clothes size.

ReputationRep:
    how long did it take after the interview for them to contact you that you got the job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sdubz)
    That doesn't mean you definately have the job, the answers to the quiz have to be collated and marked. If you pass they will look at information such as age, distance from job etc to see whether they want to hire you then they send their decision to HRSS and HRSS or even the store will contact you to tell you whether you got the job or not.

It takes from to one day to a month for HRSS or the store to contact the interviewee.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.