Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm so rubbish on the tills! I couldn't find where the broccoli was on the PLU group thingy. Aaaand I forgot to write things down in the records and refusals book. Completely forgot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absurd)
    I'm so rubbish on the tills! I couldn't find where the broccoli was on the PLU group thingy. Aaaand I forgot to write things down in the records and refusals book. Completely forgot.
    Don't worry so am i (differant tills as i am waitrose but i am still rubbish) we had a visit from the chairman today and i was so anxious, i am not usually checkouts but fresh, and i was OCD cleaning my checkout. but i swear a gold fish stole my brain this afternoon i felt so brain dead by the time i finally got off and moved back to shelf stacking.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... Brocolli comes under weighed veg.

Also you need to use some common sense with the lists - if it's got a mud and isn't a potato - then root etc.

I would reccomend you learn some of the numbers off the top of your head. To be fair I've been working there two months and don't know them all but I know the most common ones for my shop (listed below):

30823 - Brocolli
    659 - Oranges
    994 - Lemons
    7665 - Limes
    6156 - Butternut Squash
    2929 - Pumpkin (trust me - you will use that one a lot over the next month)
    2370 - White grapes
    2424 - Red grapes
    1373 - Spring onions
    45629 - Carrots
    46577 - Onions

Those numbers do about 70% of all my veg that comes through - the rest really aren't used that much (except the potato ones although my store is in a very famous student town and they don't seem to buy them)

ReputationRep:
    I am a checkout supervisor and I was on tills for about 3 hours today cause it was so busy. I haven't been on them in a while and I got some Brussels and I couldn't find them on the PLU group. I actually had to call my colleague over to tell me where they are! The lady said to me "do you not work on checkouts normally then?" and I'm like "yeah, I'm a supervisor on the department!" how shameful!

ReputationRep:
    If I don't remember where something is I normally just press the buttons really quickly so they think I am doing something but I am really just searching for the item!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tubbsy)
    I am a checkout supervisor and I was on tills for about 3 hours today cause it was so busy. I haven't been on them in a while and I got some Brussels and I couldn't find them on the PLU group. I actually had to call my colleague over to tell me where they are! The lady said to me "do you not work on checkouts normally then?" and I'm like "yeah, I'm a supervisor on the department!" how shameful!
    I don't think they've put Brussel Sprouts on the PLU group yet - it seems to happen every year, because its only sold loose seasonally they take it off the list, and then forget to add it back on when loose ones start to appear in store again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    If I don't remember where something is I normally just press the buttons really quickly so they think I am doing something but I am really just searching for the item!

I like that LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Writer14)
    I don't think they've put Brussel Sprouts on the PLU group yet - it seems to happen every year, because its only sold loose seasonally they take it off the list, and then forget to add it back on when loose ones start to appear in store again.
    It's on there!
    Weighed veg, number 5 quite sad i can recall that haa

Last day wearing the blue uniform just finished. Hoorah. Had some new peeps in getting inducted today I noticed as well.

ReputationRep:
    what happens at the sainsbury induction

You get a tour, info about the company's history, rules and procedures, a few group activities and a test at the end.

ReputationRep:
    what should you wear to the induction - i got 3 days in a row - 9-6pm

ReputationRep:
    I quit this morning. I just wouldn't be able to cope not having the chance to go home. I wish I'd thought about this before I went for the job, but I didn't realise until after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)

Also you need to use some common sense with the lists - if it's got a mud and isn't a potato - then root etc.

I would reccomend you learn some of the numbers off the top of your head. To be fair I've been working there two months and don't know them all but I know the most common ones for my shop (listed below):

30823 - Brocolli
    659 - Oranges
    994 - Lemons
    7665 - Limes
    6156 - Butternut Squash
    2370 - White grapes
    2424 - Red grapes
    1373 - Spring onions
    45629 - Carrots
    46577 - Onions

Those numbers do about 70% of all my veg that comes through - the rest really aren't used that much (except the potato ones although my store is in a very famous student town and they don't seem to buy them)
    Hmm. I wonder if different stores use different PLU numbers? or some items have more than one number?

In my store:
    Carrots: 4562
    Limes: 4048
    Lemons: 4958
    Oranges: 3107
    Onions: 4665?

The grapes and butternut squash are the same, dont know the others

Strange

ReputationRep:
    So much better today, I didn't even make that many mistakes. The bloody till I was on today kept refusing to scan barcodes for certain products (but perhaps this is just a bad workman blaming his tools) so I kept having to type them in which was annoying.

(Original post by Longorefisher)

30823 - Brocolli
    659 - Oranges
    994 - Lemons
    7665 - Limes
    6156 - Butternut Squash
    2370 - White grapes
    2424 - Red grapes
    1373 - Spring onions
    45629 - Carrots
    46577 - Onions

Thanks for that! I should really learn them, but I suppose I'll get the hang of it eventually. I had a little look on the PLU group thing today when I was free and I managed to find broccoli ok, I probably just missed it because I panicked a bit yesterday.

(Original post by tubbsy)
    Haha, brussels sprouts are on PLU group! I know this much.

(Original post by Leighthesim)
    Don't worry so am i (differant tills as i am waitrose but i am still rubbish) we had a visit from the chairman today and i was so anxious, i am not usually checkouts but fresh, and i was OCD cleaning my checkout. but i swear a gold fish stole my brain this afternoon i felt so brain dead by the time i finally got off and moved back to shelf stacking.
    Aww, what does a visit from the chairman entail for you? Shelf stacking and all that running around the shop floor business looks like harder work than checkouts to me.

(Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    That's a good idea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    I'd wear a proper long-sleeve shirt at least tbh. You want to look more presentable than the people who work there, without overdoing it.
    good point. whould this mean tucking in too as i hate having tops tucked in.

looks like a trip to primark first thing monday then.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I've noticed a board go up near the clocking machines about holiday... What is a 'close (closed??) date' and er I don't know, someone explain booking holiday to me :eek3: do not understand. might just leave it and work hahhaa at least it's straightforward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Asriel)
    Hmm. I wonder if different stores use different PLU numbers? or some items have more than one number?

In my store:
    Carrots: 4562
    Limes: 4048
    Lemons: 4958
    Oranges: 3107
    Onions: 4665?

The grapes and butternut squash are the same, dont know the others

Strange
    i think a lot of them have two numbers. but in my store 3107 is conference pears, not oranges?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShortyGetLow)
    i think a lot of them have two numbers. but in my store 3107 is conference pears, not oranges?
    Oranges are 3107, conference pears are 3017.
    I've been working here far too long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teh_samby)
    Oranges are 3107, conference pears are 3017.
    I've been working here far too long.

hahah. you must be right.
    i think i use 4102/4012 for oranges.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.