Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    Yep! But I warn you that there probably wont allow any holidays around that time since you are a late starter like me. My holidays are on 4th January because during the 2 weeks christmas period it gets very busy so they couldn't afford to lose workers around that time.
    Oh good, I thought they might think that it's a bit weird to do that. I might as well though, I do my food shopping there so I wouldn't exactly be going out of my way to go in or anything. Seriously? :dong: The lady gave me a sheet to fill out and said I'm entitled to thirty hours but nothing more. I'll just beg. Orrrr I could possibly.. no, I don't know. I want to go home for Christmas! !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Aww. I just want to find out what days at xmas I'll actually have to work. Do you think it'll be in those book things they have? I think it has your shifts down but I'm not sure? But then again I think they're only 3 weeks worth?
    Mmmm I think you would have to wait 'til it gets put on your notice board thing.

On a separate board they posted what the hours were and the rules with working when the stores closes during your contracted hours etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Yeah, ours are fully booked until like mid-January! I don't mind too much, I like work. :woo:
    I like work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absurd)
    Oh good, I thought they might think that it's a bit weird to do that. I might as well though, I do my food shopping there so I wouldn't exactly be going out of my way to go in or anything. Seriously? :dong: The lady gave me a sheet to fill out and said I'm entitled to thirty hours but nothing more. I'll just beg. Orrrr I could possibly.. no, I don't know. I want to go home for Christmas! !
    They will be difficult about it. When I went to HR they straight away told me that I am not allowed to book holidays during the Christmas period and the February half term but it was already fully booked But luckily I don't work on Christmas eve or day or on New years eve or day :woo:

ReputationRep:
    They will be difficult about it. When I went to HR they straight away told me that I am not allowed to book holidays during the Christmas period and the February half term but it was already fully booked But luckily I don't work on Christmas eve or day or on New years eve or day :woo:
    That's so annoying! When did you manage to get time off? Welllll, I'm don't work on Thursdays so I imagine I won't have to do Christmas Eve. We're shut on Christmas day, aren't we? The Saturday and Sunday could be a problem but in theory I could go home at the beginning of that week and... something. I don't know. New Years would be the next struggle. Oh life. Arhghghg. Half term isn't really a problem for me, I imagine I could do Reading Week too. I'll have to miss some of Easter though. I really ought to plan this in advance!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else work in the café/JSR?

ReputationRep:
    That's so annoying! When did you manage to get time off? Welllll, I'm don't work on Thursdays so I imagine I won't have to do Christmas Eve. We're shut on Christmas day, aren't we? The Saturday and Sunday could be a problem but in theory I could go home at the beginning of that week and... something. I don't know. New Years would be the next struggle. Oh life. Arhghghg. Half term isn't really a problem for me, I imagine I could do Reading Week too. I'll have to miss some of Easter though. I really ought to plan this in advance!
    My holiday is now on the 4th January and weirdly 2 weeks later I have another week off due to lack of holidays left for February.

Hmmm hopefully you'll figure it out because it is so difficult having a uni job and juggling it during holidays etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildebeest)
    I'm assuming the vacancy is for a CTS/Team Leader position on Checkouts, as they wouldn't really advertise for an ordinary supervisor role. Staff in this job have a very high level of responsibility and are considered line managers, but you would receive very thorough training to go with it. You would also run the department in the absence of a manager and in smaller stores, it's not unknown for CTS staff that they trust to undergo some further training and run the store as duty managers if, for example, there was nobody else to cover an evening shift. The job is very challenging, but rewarding, and the interview process mirrors this.

As for what you would be doing on your department, the list is very diverse. Answering supervisor calls, distributing change, dealing with escalated customer queries, helping on tills yourself when required and planning the day's schedule are the more obvious ones. You would also have to attend meetings, organise and present some training and make decisions on behalf of your department and in consultation with other staff there.

If you have queries about how all of it would work, your best bet is to go and speak with HR to register your interest and find out more about their expectations. Give it a go if you like, and the best of luck with it, but it would be unusual for someone in your situation to go on and do the job (part time, another department) and think very carefully before quitting university for a role where the pay incentives really aren't that fantastic.
    Thanks for the informative details.

The actual position is for 'Checkout Supervisor'. I thought there is a difference between Supervisor and team Leader. I am not ready to go to Team Leader, especially since I have only been checkout trained for 3 months - but I now put my name down for overtime as I prefer it to my regular department.

Supervisor I thought just meant being given a supervisor code (to save transactions, input manual prices etc.) and to help with queries from other cashiers.

I presume job vacancies like that have a lot of applicants, in which case it is even less likely I would get the job.

ReputationRep:
    In our store we have checkout captines who run the checkouts when noone else is in, there just normal staff with a supervisors code as far as i know.

ReputationRep:
    My holiday is now on the 4th January and weirdly 2 weeks later I have another week off due to lack of holidays left for February.

Hmmm hopefully you'll figure it out because it is so difficult having a uni job and juggling it during holidays etc.
    That's not too bad.

I hope so! I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Might pop in tomorrow, the sooner the better probably. :o:

Another annoying question, what do I do if a customer forgets something they bought?

ReputationRep:
    Your scedule will be rearranged so you work on xmas eve 8-)

Busiest day of the year! All hands on deck!!

Last year on xmas eve, it was the first and only time i've been in a supermarket on xmas eve and the shelves where completly empty. The store looked like a bomb had hit it. It took me half an hour to get from one side of the store to another - where it usually takes me 2 minutes - because so many customers where asking me questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    Your scedule will be rearranged so you work on xmas eve 8-)

Busiest day of the year! All hands on deck!!

Last year on xmas eve, it was the first and only time i've been in a supermarket on xmas eve and the shelves where completly empty. The store looked like a bomb had hit it. It took me half an hour to get from one side of the store to another - where it usually takes me 2 minutes - because so many customers where asking me questions
    Seriously? Even if I can't? Looks like I'm buggered, then. Oh well. Sounds exciting. My colleagues have been warning me about this, but I didn't think it would be that bad. The checkouts will be a nightmare.

ReputationRep:
    That's not too bad.

I hope so! I guess I'll just have to wait and see. Might pop in tomorrow, the sooner the better probably. :o:

Another annoying question, what do I do if a customer forgets something they bought?
    Either call your supervisor and state that a customer paid for the item and left it behind, I think they call it "Paid-for-left-behind" items OR if you think the customer is going to come back for the item since most customers go to the till that they were served, keep it for like half an hour then if they don't call back just give it to the supervisor.

ReputationRep:
    Either call your supervisor and state that a customer paid for the item and left it behind, I think they call it "Paid-for-left-behind" items OR if you think the customer is going to come back for the item since most customers go to the till that they were served, keep it for like half an hour then if they don't call back just give it to the supervisor.
    You're a star, thank you. Someone did a massive shop and left an item behind and I wasn't too sure what to do with it, so I just told the supervisor when they came round to check stuff and let them do whatever it is they do with it. I felt a wee bit bad about it all.

ReputationRep:
    You're a star, thank you. Someone did a massive shop and left an item behind and I wasn't too sure what to do with it, so I just told the supervisor when they came round to check stuff and let them do whatever it is they do with it. I felt a wee bit bad about it all.
    It's okay . Don't worry about it, what I try to do is pay attention to the area that they are packing so I can spot whether they left an item or if their bag is ripping, the customers are quite thankful when you tell tell them that their bag is ripping because that is one thing a customer doesn't want happening when they leave the store but beware they may use it has an excuse to **** off our bags lol!

My reply to the customer when they **** off the bags is "*laughs* We are just trying to save the rainforests :rolleyes:" :p:

ReputationRep:
    It's okay . Don't worry about it, what I try to do is pay attention to the area that they are packing so I can spot whether they left an item or if their bag is ripping, the customers are quite thankful when you tell tell them that their bag is ripping because that is one thing a customer doesn't want happening when they leave the store but beware they may use it has an excuse to **** off our bags lol!

My reply to the customer when they **** off the bags is "*laughs* We are just trying to save the rainforests :rolleyes:" :p:
    I did pay attention after that and I made sure customers didn't leave anything behind. Sometimes you just can't see though, yesterday I was on one of the little tills and a lady in a wheelchair (she was with a carer) must have dropped her bag, but because of the way the till is positioned I didn't see it happen. I felt particularly bad about that one, but I think my colleague managed to catch them in time. I haven't had anyone grumbling about the bags yet, but I might use that line on them in future. :p: I had to pack bags for a few people today, I'm quite bad at it!

Oh, what do you do with fifties? Do you check them in a particular way? We have hundred pound notes in bonny Scotland, it's so bizarre.

ReputationRep:
    I did pay attention after that and I made sure customers didn't leave anything behind. Sometimes you just can't see though, yesterday I was on one of the little tills and a lady in a wheelchair (she was with a carer) must have dropped her bag, but because of the way the till is positioned I didn't see it happen. I felt particularly bad about that one, but I think my colleague managed to catch them in time. I haven't had anyone grumbling about the bags yet, but I might use that line on them in future. :p: I had to pack bags for a few people today, I'm quite bad at it!

Oh, what do you do with fifties? Do you check them in a particular way? We have hundred pound notes in bonny Scotland, it's so bizarre.
    I don't pack people's bags :ninja: I just smile pleasantly as they struggle to put their items in the bags :p:

For some reason I don't check money I just feel the texture to see if it feels weird plus I feel like if I check it (by putting it in the light to see the Queen's head watermark) they will feel offended because it is like I am saying "I don't trust you or your money so I have to check it" lol.

You shouldn't feel too bad you couldn't really help that you could not see that your customer dropped her bag.

A random question, do you ever fear that when you are serving a customer who is disabled that you are sounding a bit condescending? I always just become a bit nervous because I am saying "Are you okay there? Do you need help?" a lot, some disabled customers welcome a caring attitude whilst others want to be treated like a normal customer so just don't know how to do it :\

ReputationRep:
    I don't pack people's bags :ninja: I just smile pleasantly as they struggle to put their items in the bags :p:

For some reason I don't check money I just feel the texture to see if it feels weird plus I feel like if I check it (by putting it in the light to see the Queen's head watermark) they will feel offended because it is like I am saying "I don't trust you or your money so I have to check it" lol.

You shouldn't feel too bad you couldn't really help that you could not see that your customer dropped her bag.

A random question, do you ever fear that when you are serving a customer who is disabled that you are sounding a bit condescending? I always just become a bit nervous because I am saying "Are you okay there? Do you need help?" a lot, some disabled customers welcome a caring attitude whilst others want to be treated like a normal customer so just don't know how to do it :\
    85% of the time I don't, but some want me to scan and pack whilst they're still unloading their massive trolleys 'cause it speeds things up a bit for them. I try to pack things sensibly but it doesn't always work out.

I don't really do it, I quickly checked a fifty pound note I got today but to be honest I wouldn't know how to check the authenticity of Scottish notes or if it's even possible. Nobody said anything about checking notes, but I'll ask a supervisor just in case I'm supposed to. :o:

Yep, I do. (Same with some elderly people too.) And sometimes I just don't know whom to address if they're with a carer. I suppose we just have to.. improvise? Trial and error and all that. I don't know. I still haven't worked out a way of saying "please enter your PIN" that doesn't sound incredibly stupid. I might just buy something I don't need tomorrow so I can see how someone else says it. :o:

ReputationRep:
    85% of the time I don't, but some want me to scan and pack whilst they're still unloading their massive trolleys 'cause it speeds things up a bit for them. I try to pack things sensibly but it doesn't always work out.

I don't really do it, I quickly checked a fifty pound note I got today but to be honest I wouldn't know how to check the authenticity of Scottish notes or if it's even possible. Nobody said anything about checking notes, but I'll ask a supervisor just in case I'm supposed to. :o:

Yep, I do. (Same with some elderly people too.) And sometimes I just don't know whom to address if they're with a carer. I suppose we just have to.. improvise? Trial and error and all that. I don't know. I still haven't worked out a way of saying "please enter your PIN" that doesn't sound incredibly stupid. I might just buy something I don't need tomorrow so I can see how someone else says it. :o:
    With Scottish money I just don't bother checking it :p: As song as it says pound sterling I'm happy :p:

What I normally do for the entering of the pin. I just put the finger on the screen and going "Enter your pin?" in a very high pitched voice :p: so it is like I am helping them rather than telling them even though in my head I am saying "CMOOOOONNNNNNN" lool :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I like work!
    :awesome: Me too. I always leave work with a smile on my face, despite it being 7am.

I'm quite glad I don't work on the checkouts but I imagine work will be a nightmare in the run up to xmas, especially the fresh stuff...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.