Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how working on a Sunday works?

Obviously most stores only open 6 hours so is this all there is available as work for checkout people (like moi) and do we get unpaid lunch, paid breaks etc?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    Anyone know how working on a Sunday works?

Obviously most stores only open 6 hours so is this all there is available as work for checkout people (like moi) and do we get unpaid lunch, paid breaks etc?

Thank you
    You will just get a 20 minute paid break.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XCRUSHESX)
    You will just get a 20 minute paid break.
    We get 30 minute paid breaks on a Sunday. I think it's upto the store to decide, but it needs to be at least 20.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Has anyone ever picked up an eye infection at Sainsbury's? I never had one in my life (18 yrs) till I started there. My first proper job and certainly in a supermarket...is it something in the air that causes eye infections? To be fair my eye was itchy and I rubbed it and had the infection on and off ever since Burns and everything!
    Where were you working? I'd always make sure to have gloves on. I rub my eyes very easily and I'm usually working with h&b so it'd be a bad idea to rub my eyes after touching leaky handwash and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently Absurd has quoted me but I don't see it. Did you reply to me and then delete the post or something?

ReputationRep:
    Today I am really annoyed with myself.

A customer was clearly in her early twenties (at least) but I was not 100% sure that she was 25 or over. Therefore, I asked her for ID.

Obviously she wasn't impressed and didnt have any ID on her and started crying etc. :rolleyes:

So even though I could tell she was over 18, I still refused the sale.

Can someone explain to me if I was maybe a little over-zealous? Am I even applying the Think 25 policy correctly? :confused:

Generally, I thought the whole point of Think 25, was to judge whether a customer was 25, not 18 - and if not, then ask for proof. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Magnificent KoloToure)
    Apparently Absurd has quoted me but I don't see it. Did you reply to me and then delete the post or something?
    I did. I just said to keep checking the website for vacancies. Apparently they pop up in the morning, but I'm not sure if that is true.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone ever picked up an eye infection at Sainsbury's? I never had one in my life (18 yrs) till I started there. My first proper job and certainly in a supermarket...is it something in the air that causes eye infections? To be fair my eye was itchy and I rubbed it and had the infection on and off ever since Burns and everything!
    Within my first 6 months it felt like I was forever ill. I think it may have something to do with "money hands". I never used to wash my hands after work and then I used to eat, until I realised that is what was making me ill. I had a few sore throats and eye infections.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)

A customer was clearly in her early twenties (at least) but I was not 100% sure that she was 25 or over. Therefore, I asked her for ID.

Obviously she wasn't impressed and didnt have any ID on her and started crying etc. :rolleyes:

Can someone explain to me if I was maybe a little over-zealous? Am I even applying the Think 25 policy correctly? :confused:

Generally, I thought the whole point of Think 25, was to judge whether a customer was 25, not 18 - and if not, then ask for proof. :confused:
    Sometimes common sense is required. I don't apply Think 25 to Paracetamol etc. If they look like their 18, I let them have it, otherwise I ID them.

Technically your meant to ask ID whenever something age restricted goes through a till. Your technically meant to ask for ID when a blatant 20 year old buys a 12 rated film.

I would have done the same in your shoes, and I have actually had a very similar situation to you - infact it was the first time I had ever asked for ID.

If you want a tip, if you CBA arguing with them, call over a supervisor, they HAVE to back you up, and the blame gets shifted onto them (If they don't back you up, report them to the manager).
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper

You did the right thing. She should've known she needed ID. I never go anywhere without mine! It's better to be safe than sorry. I know at my store the supervisor often goes upstairs to make sure the till people have asked for ID and stuff. Well, we were warned about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Absurd)
    I did. I just said to keep checking the website for vacancies. Apparently they pop up in the morning, but I'm not sure if that is true.
    Ah, thanks.

Will do it anyway, I remember hearing they would start advertising London vacancies in mid October.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    You did the right thing. She should've known she needed ID. I never go anywhere without mine! It's better to be safe than sorry. I know at my store the supervisor often goes upstairs to make sure the till people have asked for ID and stuff. Well, we were warned about it.
    I forgot to mention, the woman wanted to buy a bottle of cider.

She had a lot of groceries in her basket, and 1 single small bottle of cider tucked away. She also bent down behind my keypad THE WHOLE TIME I WAS SCANNING as she put stuff in the bottom of her pram, thus obscuring her face like she was trying to deceive me.

The man behind her in the queue teamed up with her and started arguing with me, then he offered to buy it for her, but I disallowed that too lol.

I wear a badge that says " Think 25, don't be offended if I ask for ID, it's my job" so I don't know why some people get so angry. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    Sometimes common sense is required. I don't apply Think 25 to Paracetamol etc. If they look like their 18, I let them have it, otherwise I ID them.

Technically your meant to ask ID whenever something age restricted goes through a till. Your technically meant to ask for ID when a blatant 20 year old buys a 12 rated film.

I would have done the same in your shoes, and I have actually had a very similar situation to you - infact it was the first time I had ever asked for ID.

If you want a tip, if you CBA arguing with them, call over a supervisor, they HAVE to back you up, and the blame gets shifted onto them (If they don't back you up, report them to the manager).
    Thanks, I didn't know that. TBH, I was trying not to call a supervisor because I was scared that they would overrule me. Plus, as I was on the Pods (1 of 6), it meant that 4/5 other staff members could overhear the argument.

I was tempted to say " please take the cider to another cashier, maybe they will serve you" but didn't in the end, as I just hoped she would shut up and leave. :mad:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I forgot to mention, the woman wanted to buy a bottle of cider.

She had a lot of groceries in her basket, and 1 single small bottle of cider tucked away. She also bent down behind my keypad THE WHOLE TIME I WAS SCANNING as she put stuff in the bottom of her pram, thus obscuring her face like she was trying to deceive me.

The man behind her in the queue teamed up with her and started arguing with me, then he offered to buy it for her, but I disallowed that too lol.

I wear a badge that says " Think 25, don't be offended if I ask for ID, it's my job" so I don't know why some people get so angry. :rolleyes:
    Sounds like she wasn't 18 TBH. Well, that's what I would've thought anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    Sounds like she wasn't 18 TBH. Well, that's what I would've thought anyway.
    Oh, maybe you mistunderstood me, it was kind of obvious she was at least 22-ish but as I couldn't be sure she was over 25, I applied the Think 25 policy and asked for ID - even though I knew she was over 18 (therefore legal to buy the cider).

ReputationRep:
    While we're on the subject of Think 25, what should you do if you get, say, parents (or just middle aged people) with teenagers/young adults who want to buy alcohol?

(Original post by Absurd)
    While we're on the subject of Think 25, what should you do if you get, say, parents (or just middle aged people) with teenagers/young adults who want to buy alcohol?
    It depends on you as the individual who's serving it and how you feel about it. If you feel that they could be buying it for them, you're entitled to ID them ALL and if they don't ALL have ID - refuse the sale.

But you've got to be careful, because there have been news reports recently where checkout staff have been OTT about this and IDd parents shopping with teenage children.

The rule of ID = If in doubt - ask. It's better to be safe then worry.

(Original post by Foulish)

Or you can void the transaction and let them put the sale through. If you aren't 100% you don't have to continue with the sale. :p:

Oh, maybe you mistunderstood me, it was kind of obvious she was at least 22-ish but as I couldn't be sure she was over 25, I applied the Think 25 policy and asked for ID - even though I knew she was over 18 (therefore legal to buy the cider).
    Just turn around and go; No ID - NO Sale.

Most people soon realise that you aren't going to budge and jog on. :cool:

(Original post by The Magnificent KoloToure)
    Ah, thanks.

Will do it anyway, I remember hearing they would start advertising London vacancies in mid October.
    I think there are some listed via The Sun (shock-horror!) http://jobs.thesun.co.uk/jobs/jobs.a...mpanyid=244646

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.