Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I wonder if Sainsbury's will stock her book?

I was reading the article, and it comes across (to me) as if she has over hyped many of the cases. I'm wondering if this was more of an insight into the life of a CoG or the Sainsbury's treatment of employees..?

(Original post by The Daily Mail)
    All our actions are accountable; CCTV, electronic monitoring, assessments, clocking in and out, customer and colleague feedback. With cameras in every nook and cranny, there is no escape.
    I believe the above (alone) is a great example of how much of a big deal (it would seem) she is making of such situation.

I'm not sure about her employment history, but if she had worked in other stores and/or companies (instead of freelance journalism) she would have realised most (if not all) are common practices and many are in fact more for the benefit of the employee. CCTV and Monitoring is there to ensure employee and customer safety. Admittedly, it can also be an aide to dish out those 'dodgey' employees, however in most cases than not, it's purely for safety.

We have to scan 17 items per minute (IPM). 'If you don't maintain your IPM, we'll find out,' says our plain-speaking till trainer.
    I feel the above has been blown out of context. I feel the ending could have perhaps changed the whole stance of the sentence;
    'If you don't maintain your IPM, we'll find out, and we'll give you some extra training if you feel you could do with it..'.

ReputationRep:
    I'm just gonna read that article now, I can't wait to read the book.

As for the IMP comment, by the time most staff are used to the checkouts/scanning they can easily do 17 IMP without trouble, so I don't know what she's moaning about there.

If under 18s do ask a member of c/o staff to authorize alcohol they can always refuse & suggest the under 18er get a supervisor. But normally it's not a big deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by questionsquestions)
    Really?? What are they there for, if not to supervise? Gee I hate that place. Not long till notice time
    I often ask myself the same question

(Original post by kyle_y)
    On another point, at your stores on the tills do you get that prompt in the green box that comes up every 15 minutes and asks you to type in the number of people standing in your queue. On our tills it doesn't allow you to type in any number other than 0. Weird
    We get that but it lets you actually type a number in :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    Customer: "Excuse me, where are the sanitary towels?"
    Colleague: "Right here madame, enjoy your period!"
    Haha, that's brilliant, made me LOL!

Found out today that we are finally getting the new uniform, they are measuring in a couple of weeks and we wear it in september I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orchid)
    I'm just gonna read that article now, I can't wait to read the book.

As for the IMP comment, by the time most staff are used to the checkouts/scanning they can easily do 17 IMP without trouble, so I don't know what she's moaning about there.

If under 18s do ask a member of c/o staff to authorize alcohol they can always refuse & suggest the under 18er get a supervisor. But normally it's not a big deal.
    In our store it is you can only ask a supervisor, anyone else is not allowed to authorise it. Not really a problem for me as I'm over 18 but it can be a problem from those under 18 when the supervisor has wondered off somewhere and they need to get it authorised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tokyorose888)
    are you leaving?

if you are do you still take things seriously there(e.g : mcm ) ive seen some people give in their notice then they just muck arond and call in sick etc. lol i might do that but i doubt that they'll give me a good reference if i do
    Yep, and I kinda take things seriously depends on the day and how i'm feeling. I'm either doing everything; serving customers, replenishing the crap for tills, baskets, returns, counting newspapers and scratchcards. Otherwise later on in the evening if it isn't busy i'd probably be talking to someone on a till on the other side of the store/or hiding behind the lottery machine.

& about calling in sick, I've considered swine flu :p:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone work completely on checkouts in here tonight?

Just wondering what you actually say to your customers to get the conversation flowing, or like me do you not bother at all with most as it's quite clear they really don't want to be talking to some stranger?

ReputationRep:
    Ah - bet head office aren't too happy about that little publication

ReputationRep:

Just wondering what you actually say to your customers to get the conversation flowing, or like me do you not bother at all with most as it's quite clear they really don't want to be talking to some stranger?
    I let them start it really. I'll say hello and all the required questions and then thank them and say goodbye at the end. Anything else I mainly let them start other than the few regulars you know like to chat.

ReputationRep:

I work completely on checkouts and sometimes if they keep the conversation going I'll find *something* to say but on the most part, I don't make much conversation apart form the usual questions and plent of friendly smiles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I wonder if Sainsbury's will stock her book?

I was reading the article, and it comes across (to me) as if she has over hyped many of the cases. I'm wondering if this was more of an insight into the life of a CoG or the Sainsbury's treatment of employees..?

I believe the above (alone) is a great example of how much of a big deal (it would seem) she is making of such situation.

I'm not sure about her employment history, but if she had worked in other stores and/or companies (instead of freelance journalism) she would have realised most (if not all) are common practices and many are in fact more for the benefit of the employee. CCTV and Monitoring is there to ensure employee and customer safety. Admittedly, it can also be an aide to dish out those 'dodgey' employees, however in most cases than not, it's purely for safety.

I feel the above has been blown out of context. I feel the ending could have perhaps changed the whole stance of the sentence;
    'If you don't maintain your IPM, we'll find out, and we'll give you some extra training if you feel you could do with it..'.
    Extra training is an euphimism for something more serious (usually). Besides - only practice will speed a person up - not more training

ReputationRep:

Errm i'm not very talkative and tend to go bright red for no reason whatsoever so all I say is 'Hi!' which is not good for the mcm thingy from what i've read. However i'm quite friendly with some of the regulars so talk to them about random things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Longorefisher)
    I know lol and we are at 148 posts now in less than 24 hours .

We ought to have a little sweepstake - see who can correctly predict when this thread will reach the required 10,000 post cut-off!
    Sainsburys takes over TSR.
    Next, the world.
    Haha

ReputationRep:

I'm quite quiet, but I try. But I have to feel like they'd want to talk to me lol If i think of something, see a product I fancy trying, ask their opinion etc. about the weather. the usual really

I'm generally on auto pilot most of the time, it's the basic requirements for the mcm, so they can't really complain :P

ReputationRep:
    I just sent in an online application for checkout position for sat and sun (14 hours) amazing pay imo hopefully I get through this time. It's in York and about 1 1/2-2 hours from where I live lol

ReputationRep:
    anyone know when we have to give all the stuff (uniform,locker keys etc.) back when we leave? on our last shift? or a day after that and who do we give it to? will they explain it to us or just keep us out in the cold about it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tokyorose888)
    anyone know when we have to give all the stuff (uniform,locker keys etc.) back when we leave? on our last shift? or a day after that and who do we give it to? will they explain it to us or just keep us out in the cold about it?
    I got a letter from HQ which told me to hand it in on the last day to your work location

ReputationRep:
    Thanks checkout guys Is 6-7 the busiest checkout period would you reckon? I really want to change shift from 10-7 to 9-6 asap. Like starting Saturday.

What ya reckon?

ReputationRep:
    just got rejected again :sad: they said that my responses don't match the role or something from the questionnaire...I've done it twice (different jobs/towns) changing the answers on some but am still not making it through...what am I doing wrong? it really sucks :sad: really wanted the job as well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sociallyanxious)
    just got rejected again :sad: they said that my responses don't match the role or something from the questionnaire...I've done it twice (different jobs/towns) changing the answers on some but am still not making it through...what am I doing wrong? it really sucks :sad: really wanted the job as well...
    Ouch! I shouldn't tell you this really but if you go to the old Sainsburys thread the answers were posted in there (page 46 I believe). However, if you're not passing then it might be a good idea to look at what you are doing wrong rather than cheating. After all, the test is there to discern who is suitable for the role! (My back covered lol)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.