The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

FXX
Must be something about online! In the year and three months I've been there, the worst illness I've had is a sniffle that lasted a day. Sainsburys has really boosted my immune system :p:

Online is the superior section of Sainsburys :five: :biggrin:
Reply 2401
veggie4life
I wish sainsburys would advertise their xmas temp roles already!

My local has been advertising for a while now, so they should be appearing soon, if they havent already.
soooo... how many people are dressing up for halloween @ sainsburys? hahaa. does anybody ever dress up for these kinda things?
Reply 2403
hannahboden
soooo... how many people are dressing up for halloween @ sainsburys? hahaa. does anybody ever dress up for these kinda things?

I dunno yet... I don't want to be the only one lol
People dress up?? I'd feel a bit silly walking home at 7am on 1st November dressed as a vampire or something to be honest :rofl:
http://events.uk.msn.com/music/xclusives/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=150343973&imageindex=3

:rofl: made me giggle :biggrin: especially since that song was playing at work the other night!
Oh-No!
I dunno yet... I don't want to be the only one lol

ahaha i feel the same. My department manager wants to squeeze me into the 13yr olds halloween costumes :') but i don't think ill go that far! I think one of those headbands with ghosts on will be enough haha.
inksplodge
People dress up?? I'd feel a bit silly walking home at 7am on 1st November dressed as a vampire or something to be honest :rofl:

:rofl: that would be quite funny :P

people have got to dress up all next week at our store, from 26th -
31st! but im only there on 31st which is good :'D
Reply 2408
inksplodge
http://events.uk.msn.com/music/xclusives/gallery.aspx?cp-documentid=150343973&imageindex=3

:rofl: made me giggle :biggrin: especially since that song was playing at work the other night!

I thought sainsbury's stopped piping music into their stores a few years back?
Foulish
I thought sainsbury's stopped piping music into their stores a few years back?

Night shift get to listen to the radio!
Reply 2410
I'm starting 5 hour shifts this week. What break am I entitled to? 15 mins? Also I may be doing an extra 4 hour shift on checkouts, which would be 9 hours straight, what am I entitled to then? I was going to ask my manager about this at the end of my shift today but couldn't find her.
rhaco
I'm starting 5 hour shifts this week. What break am I entitled to? 15 mins? Also I may be doing an extra 4 hour shift on checkouts, which would be 9 hours straight, what am I entitled to then? I was going to ask my manager about this at the end of my shift today but couldn't find her.

It's in your contract:

working 4.5 hrs but less than 6: 15 minute break
6-8 hours: 20 minute break, 15 mins paid
8-9 hours: 30 min break OR two 15 min break
9+: 45 min break taken as one 30 min break and one 15 min break

obviously it depends as some may give you more time. "if you get one hour lunch break it will be unpaid"
Reply 2412
inksplodge
It's in your contract:

working 4.5 hrs but less than 6: 15 minute break
6-8 hours: 20 minute break, 15 mins paid
8-9 hours: 30 min break OR two 15 min break
9+: 45 min break taken as one 30 min break and one 15 min break

obviously it depends as some may give you more time. "if you get one hour lunch break it will be unpaid"

Thanks for that, just had a look at my contract.

I've been till trained but am not to sure on two things. Can anyone help me?

1. Gift cards, can't remember the exact process. I know you have to scan and swipe. but do you have to press something before that?

2. sainsbury's discount card. not too sure on this, had one yesterday but the person on the till next to me did it for me. didn't catch exactly what he did.
rhaco
Thanks for that, just had a look at my contract.

I've been till trained but am not to sure on two things. Can anyone help me?

1. Gift cards, can't remember the exact process. I know you have to scan and swipe. but do you have to press something before that?

2. sainsbury's discount card. not too sure on this, had one yesterday but the person on the till next to me did it for me. didn't catch exactly what he did.

With gift cards you just have a scan the barcode, then break off the card that had the mag strip and swipe that.. you may have to input an amount that the customer wants if it is a top up gift card.

Just swipe the sainsbury's discount card. sometimes it wont work so you go into the tender screen and go onto the second page (I think, it maybe on the first page) where it'll say STAFF DISCOUNT which you press then swipe it or input the number of the card, the issue number and the expiry date I think.
Reply 2414
XCRUSHESX
With gift cards you just have a scan the barcode, then break off the card that had the mag strip and swipe that.. you may have to input an amount that the customer wants if it is a top up gift card.

Just swipe the sainsbury's discount card. sometimes it wont work so you go into the tender screen and go onto the second page (I think, it maybe on the first page) where it'll say STAFF DISCOUNT which you press then swipe it or input the number of the card, the issue number and the expiry date I think.

We were told not to break off the gift card, but to do it some other way. Another thing I can't remember. :dong:
Absurd
We were told not to break off the gift card, but to do it some other way. Another thing I can't remember. :dong:

Weird :\ But the customer doesn't really need the barcode bit, and how else would we swipe the card? Unless you input a number or something :s-smilie:
Reply 2416
XCRUSHESX
Weird :\ But the customer doesn't really need the barcode bit, and how else would we swipe the card? Unless you input a number or something :s-smilie:

You can swipe it though the pin machine. Your not actually meant to use the side strip thing. My store went to the length of disconnecting it >_>

I just reconnect it if I ever find myself on till.

Quick question. I'm doing a presentation about Sainsburys for uni. What does MCM stand for? Mystery Customer Measure?
Absurd

Can't you use the Chip&Pin machine's mag-reader?
Foulish
You can swipe it though the pin machine. Your not actually meant to use the side strip thing. My store went to the length of disconnecting it >_>

I just reconnect it if I ever find myself on till.

Quick question. I'm doing a presentation about Sainsburys for uni. What does MCM stand for? Mystery Customer Measure?

Ahh the pin machine, thing is that it is difficult to reach over to swipe it because it isn't facing me and some customers always fail to swipe it correctly :\

Yep MCM stands for Mystery Customer Measure, but I never remember what MAC stands for....mystery something :rolleyes:
Reply 2419
XCRUSHESX
Ahh the pin machine, thing is that it is difficult to reach over to swipe it because it isn't facing me and some customers always fail to swipe it correctly :\

Yep MCM stands for Mystery Customer Measure, but I never remember what MAC stands for....mystery something :rolleyes:

If you hand them the card and ask them to swipe it for you, they will.

Latest