Turn on thread page Beta

Sainsburys thread MK ll watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I started my first proper shift last night, they put me on trolleys, which is fine and I enjoyed it more than I was expecting (Saves going to the gym ) but, how often might they put me on checkouts instead? I was till trained on saurday and would quite like a mixture of both.

Im on perm 12 hours a week, wednesday and thursday evenings and sunday afternoon.

(Original post by Shifters)
    I started my first proper shift last night, they put me on trolleys, which is fine and I enjoyed it more than I was expecting (Saves going to the gym ) but, how often might they put me on checkouts instead? I was till trained on saurday and would quite like a mixture of both.

Im on perm 12 hours a week, wednesday and thursday evenings and sunday afternoon.
    If you're over 18 (which I assume you are), it's one of those things where you'll most likely spend most of your time out there. Simply because others wont and you're an easy target.

If you do want to be put on a checkout, for variety, there is no harm in asking if you can be put on? In most cases, you'll be put on to cover breaks etc.

ReputationRep:
    Whats the delivery times like for the online shopping??

I might start doing it online, i have no time to go shopping, to busy busy! I usually pick bits up after work, but, i just end up picking up biscuits and there no good. If i can get it delivered for monday morns or something before uni, I dunno.

What are sell buy dates like too? I don't want to get everything and have to eat it in a day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    Whats the delivery times like for the online shopping??

I might start doing it online, i have no time to go shopping, to busy busy! I usually pick bits up after work, but, i just end up picking up biscuits and there no good. If i can get it delivered for monday morns or something before uni, I dunno.

What are sell buy dates like too? I don't want to get everything and have to eat it in a day!
    Ive been having mine delivered for a few months now, I would make sure you're serious about it before doing it as you probably wont want to go back to doing it yourself
    I'm also an online shopper. The earliest deliveries are between 9 & 10am, they are hourly slots. If they are late they will ring you, & you will also get a £10 off voucher by way of appology. Ive had 2 in the last 3 weeks! :eek: I dont mind them being late anymore
    We used to have to pick the longest dates & anything less than 3 days til use by/best before, we had to short life. Unfortunately thats changed now, & we only short life anything thats got todays date on! Bad huh :yes: BUT we will still always go for the longest dates, so if you get a short lifed item, its literally because there aren't any better dates on the shelf (its easier not to short life, seperate blue bag, more buttons to press on the hand gun etc)
    And remember, the driver will show you whats been substitued or short lifed, & anything you dont want, you can send back with the driver, no problem :yes:
    Our store isn't too bad for availability too, on average I dont get any subs or short lifes. Maybe one item a month, & I have it delivered every week. Average of £80.
    (if you spend over £100, you can get free delivery on tuesday,wednesday,thursdays)
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    my head is spinning, argg :woo: work soon!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Ive been having mine delivered for a few months now, I would make sure you're serious about it before doing it as you probably wont want to go back to doing it yourself
    I'm also an online shopper. The earliest deliveries are between 9 & 10am, they are hourly slots. If they are late they will ring you, & you will also get a £10 off voucher by way of appology. Ive had 2 in the last 3 weeks! :eek: I dont mind them being late anymore
    We used to have to pick the longest dates & anything less than 3 days til use by/best before, we had to short life. Unfortunately thats changed now, & we only short life anything thats got todays date on! Bad huh :yes: BUT we will still always go for the longest dates, so if you get a short lifed item, its literally because there aren't any better dates on the shelf (its easier not to short life, seperate blue bag, more buttons to press on the hand gun etc)
    And remember, the driver will show you whats been substitued or short lifed, & anything you dont want, you can send back with the driver, no problem :yes:
    Our store isn't too bad for availability too, on average I dont get any subs or short lifes. Maybe one item a month, & I have it delivered every week. Average of £80.
    (if you spend over £100, you can get free delivery on tuesday,wednesday,thursdays)
    Thanks, i think ill give it a shot, may as well, i know the nearest store to me, which has online shoppers, is huge, so hopefully availability and everything is fine.

I wont be spending anywhere near £100 though, more like £30 a week to lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Untitled258)
    Thanks, i think ill give it a shot, may as well, i know the nearest store to me, which has online shoppers, is huge, so hopefully availability and everything is fine.

I wont be spending anywhere near £100 though, more like £30 a week to lol.
    Thats why I get mine delivered on fridays & pay the delivery fee, it wouldn't make sense making mine up to 100 quid to save 5.50 delivery
    To be honest, until I actually worked in online shopping I always thought the food could be dodgy, out the fridge too long etc? Now I know the process, I know its safe lol I couldn't ever go back to doing my own shopping now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i was wonderin if you could help me.
    I recently applied for a xmas temp job at sainsburys in the grocery department, for 12 hours a week. I was told that i was successful in my interview and went for my induction today. However, when I got there, they told my my hours had changed to 20 a week on the checkouts. I was just thinking if I could cope with both school and work? I still havent got my contract yet, you see.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skerries)
    I recently applied for a xmas temp job at sainsburys in the grocery department, for 12 hours a week. I was told that i was successful in my interview and went for my induction today. However, when I got there, they told my my hours had changed to 20 a week on the checkouts. I was just thinking if I could cope with both school and work? I still havent got my contract yet, you see.
    They're out of order! They should have at least asked you first. A similar thing happened to me when I started after appliying to work 14 (or 16, can't quite remember) hours a week evenings and weekends. In the interview I made the mistake of saying I could work many more hours overtime as it was the Summer holidays. Then they called and offered me 35 hours a week Mon-Fri 7am-2pm :rolleyes: It was alright for me, I did it for two weeks before asking to do weekends only which they weren't happy about. I explained I applied to work 14 hours a week and I'd always prioritise college over work. All turned out well in the end.

Anyway, I'd either call HRSS or contact the store and tell them you're a full time student who hasn't got the time to work 20 hours a week (especially if you get EMA), hence why you applied to work 12 hours.

Best of luck! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skerries)
    A few of us at inductions got our contracts & they had different hours on. Mine were completely different days too! The job was for 12 hours, my contract said 29!
    They soon sorted it lol I'm surprised you didn't mention not wanting those hours at inductions?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    ahhh work was SO BORING however lots of money in my bank account compensates :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Update:

I have my interview next week.
    I asked the person if it would definitely be a dvd and one on one she said it is and why do I ask as this is the standard interview procedure.
    I explained I went to an interview before and didn't get a chance, I was asked to do a job trial for a few hours and as I was told there and then I couldn't. It was 11pm at night I had unsuitable clothing to be working in and I could not arrange transport home so late.

She said that this should never have happened and that all candidates are to have a fair chance. I should have done a dvd test and the paper sent for marking or something.

She went onto say if anything like this happens that I should get in touch immediately and it would be dealt with.

Interview question: Does the dvd test really matter? say you get 1 or 2 questions wrong will you not get the job? I have had a successful interview previously and I had to decline the position. The next time I went to an interview I did not get it. The dvd test is easy so I don't think I would have failed that. Would I have failed on my 1-1 maybe?

I am blabbing on now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cyril*Sneer)
    Update:

I have my interview next week.
    I asked the person if it would definitely be a dvd and one on one she said it is and why do I ask as this is the standard interview procedure.
    I explained I went to an interview before and didn't get a chance, I was asked to do a job trial for a few hours and as I was told there and then I couldn't. It was 11pm at night I had unsuitable clothing to be working in and I could not arrange transport home so late.

She said that this should never have happened and that all candidates are to have a fair chance. I should have done a dvd test and the paper sent for marking or something.

She went onto say if anything like this happens that I should get in touch immediately and it would be dealt with.

Interview question: Does the dvd test really matter? say you get 1 or 2 questions wrong will you not get the job? I have had a successful interview previously and I had to decline the position. The next time I went to an interview I did not get it. The dvd test is easy so I don't think I would have failed that. Would I have failed on my 1-1 maybe?

I am blabbing on now.
    From my experience, i dont think its possible to fail the 1-1 unless you disagreed about the hours you applied for or something. My 1-1 was just the grocery manager confirming everything like hours, uniform sizes etc.

And i thought the dvd was easy, but i did fail it. :o:

ReputationRep:
    Oh so you can fail the dvd?

I was miffed about failing as I'd previously passed the same dvd and I had passed my 1-1. I don't think I did anything differently. I am keen, chatty, friendly and polite but can control myself and reign it in if need be.

I did think maybe they said no because I declined them before but there is no way of proving that so I crossed that off my list.

Hoping I pass this time and get it. I have experience and all that jazz, willing to work overtime, do extra, bla bla bla.

Wish me luck.

ReputationRep:

I was miffed about failing as I'd previously passed the same dvd and I had passed my 1-1. I don't think I did anything differently. I am keen, chatty, friendly and polite but can control myself and reign it in if need be.

I did think maybe they said no because I declined them before but there is no way of proving that so I crossed that off my list.

Hoping I pass this time and get it. I have experience and all that jazz, willing to work overtime, do extra, bla bla bla.

Wish me luck.
    I was told i got a borderline score in 2 out of the 4 sections of the dvd, meaning they wouldnt offer me the job.

I wouldnt have thought it would be fair for them to decline you because you declined a previous offer.

Good luck to you though. Were your previous applications 6 months apart from eachother?

ReputationRep:

Wish me luck.
    You don't only have to pass. You can pass and still not get the job. They will offer the job to the candidate with the highest score.

ReputationRep:
    I start the actual job tomorrow the thought of lugging the roll cages around in the shop now and definitely near christmas makes me want to cry!

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, just thought I'd introduce myself in this thread as I basically joined to post here.

Anyway, I'm a college student and I've been working part time at sainsburys for about 5 months now. I'm a customer service assistant so spend most of my time on checkouts, and overall I quite enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorafdfs)
    I start the actual job tomorrow the thought of lugging the roll cages around in the shop now and definitely near christmas makes me want to cry!
    ahaha good luck getting roll cages around customers. Trolleys everywhere, children running infront of them. :p:

A roll cage is like double the height of me, so i hate using them. Once i get one rolling, i can't really stop cos they're so god damn heavy. I always get scared i'm going to run a child over with one. :')

ReputationRep:
    oh don't push the roll cage, pull it, that way it will only crush you when you put on the brakes (btw there aren't any brakes on the roll cage). and you can also stop it by letting it run into your back.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.