Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    That books cheaper on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Checkout-Gir...9658859&sr=8-1
    I think I'll buy it when I've got some money.

Also, Does anyone know how much Sainsbury's pay per mile for travel when working at a different location to your usual store?

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned, she's just ripped off Anna Sam and stolen a load of "shizz wot we said like" on here and thrown it together in a poor attempt at writing a book tbh.

Epic author fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukely)
    There's a Sainsbury's thread OP...
    The old one got too big and was locked so the OP made this to replace it.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhhhh I hate customers hate hate hate hate customers!!!!

Worst shift ever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foulish)
    She says she was on till on her last day of work, Your not allowed to work with money on your last shift are you?
    your not allowed to work with money on the last day? where did you hear that from? i'd love to be off checkouts for once.

(Original post by Oh-No!)
    That books cheaper on amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Checkout-Gir...9658859&sr=8-1
    I think I'll buy it when I've got some money.

Also, Does anyone know how much Sainsbury's pay per mile for travel when working at a different location to your usual store?
    I assume you've been asked to work at this other store? If this is the case, then you'll simply need to put in the receipts for fuel to your HR/Department Manager.

As for the pay for travelling, I think you're paid on the basic clock-in system. iirc, you'll clock in at your home store, then travel to the other store do the shift, and then return to your home store and clock out.

It's a rather long winded and labourious process, so I would get this confirmed before you do the shift. Because if rumours at to be believed, Sainsbury's aren't the most willing in paying out; in my old store 'supposedly' a colleague is still waiting for almost £80 in travel alone (not including fuel), because it can't be verified how long it actually took her to travel to the store..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I think you've misconstrued my post. I wasn't making reference to Sainsbury's policy on training, I was making the point that what she quoted (Trainer on IPM) makes it seem Sainsbury's is harsh on those who are slow. When in actual fact, the complete sentence could change that.

So I was wondering whether her book was a dig at Sainsbury's (and/or supermarkets in general) about the treatment of employees, or whether it was about a generic-supermarket employees views on customers?
    Sorry about my post there - I was being a little sarcastic about how Supermarkets treat their staff in general and the attitudes of managers.

ReputationRep:
    I assume you've been asked to work at this other store? If this is the case, then you'll simply need to put in the receipts for fuel to your HR/Department Manager.

As for the pay for travelling, I think you're paid on the basic clock-in system. iirc, you'll clock in at your home store, then travel to the other store do the shift, and then return to your home store and clock out.

It's a rather long winded and labourious process, so I would get this confirmed before you do the shift. Because if rumours at to be believed, Sainsbury's aren't the most willing in paying out; in my old store 'supposedly' a colleague is still waiting for almost £80 in travel alone (not including fuel), because it can't be verified how long it actually took her to travel to the store..
    Ha I love it. This is the business with £289 million in their bank account, folks!

(Original post by Longorefisher)
    Sorry about my post there - I was being a little sarcastic about how Supermarkets treat their staff in general and the attitudes of managers.
    I didn't detect the sarcasm. Sorry

I'm still going to buy her book though.. (I need Waterstones points! :yes:)

ReputationRep:
    I walked into my shift today with the article of this being read by a group of colleagues :')

ReputationRep:
    lulz, hope it went down well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BSJ)
    lulz, hope it went down well
    I'm seriously debating whether to turn up to training with a copy of this book in tow...

Naah I value the job too much.

ReputationRep:
    i swear one person should buy the book , and type the whole book out manually in this thread ahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tokyorose888)
    your not allowed to work with money on the last day? where did you hear that from? i'd love to be off checkouts for once.
    Yeah it just always happens anyone I've been in with who was doing their last ever shift was off checkouts doing basket runs and working on the floor.

ReputationRep:
    ha sucks on your last day then, apparently everyone at sainsburys avoids checkout training lie the plague as once your trained you are stuck for life..... is that true?? cause everyone at waitrose is checkout trained but we have people who are there because that is there section like i work in the chilled isles and that is my section, and if your checkout trained in sainsburys do you still work on the shopfloor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by setmefree)
    Yeah it just always happens anyone I've been in with who was doing their last ever shift was off checkouts doing basket runs and working on the floor.
    Nice to know they trust us so much:rolleyes:

(Original post by Leighthesim)
    ha sucks on your last day then, apparently everyone at sainsburys avoids checkout training lie the plague as once your trained you are stuck for life..... is that true?? cause everyone at waitrose is checkout trained but we have people who are there because that is there section like i work in the chilled isles and that is my section, and if your checkout trained in sainsburys do you still work on the shopfloor?
    I wouldn't say you are stuck for life. I'm sure there are people in every store who are checkout trained, but haven't been near a till since their training.

In most cases, Sainsbury's will train new colleagues on checkouts as part of the induction/training process. However, because you have been, doesn't mean you'll be stuck on checkouts.

I started with a couple of other people (two on Fresh, one on Produce) and although we were all checkout trained, they're still on their own departments. I think Sainsbury's (like other supermarkets) will train colleagues in every department possible. It's beneficial for both the store and the individual. It's beneficial for the department because if there are cases when the store gets busy and additional checkouts need to be opened, those shopfloor colleagues can be called. It's also beneficial for the individual, because the checkout department is the one that has most flexible overtime. Being checkout trained means you can then put yourself down for overtime on checkouts; so if I worked on Fresh for 16 hours a week, I could do an additional ~8 hours etc as overtime on checkouts. It also makes a nice change from the chillers! :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say you are stuck for life. I'm sure there are people in every store who are checkout trained, but haven't been near a till since their training.

In most cases, Sainsbury's will train new colleagues on checkouts as part of the induction/training process. However, because you have been, doesn't mean you'll be stuck on checkouts.

I started with a couple of other people (two on Fresh, one on Produce) and although we were all checkout trained, they're still on their own departments. I think Sainsbury's (like other supermarkets) will train colleagues in every department possible. It's beneficial for both the store and the individual. It's beneficial for the department because if there are cases when the store gets busy and additional checkouts need to be opened, those shopfloor colleagues can be called. It's also beneficial for the individual, because the checkout department is the one that has most flexible overtime. Being checkout trained means you can then put yourself down for overtime on checkouts; so if I worked on Fresh for 16 hours a week, I could do an additional ~8 hours etc as overtime on checkouts. It also makes a nice change from the chillers! :yes:
    Would you happen to know what overtime is like for Checkout staff at the moment then (just in your experience)?

(Original post by Longorefisher)
    Would you happen to know what overtime is like for Checkout staff at the moment then (just in your experience)?
    I'm not too sure. I know certain stores are cutting back on overtime. However other stores are booming with overtime (due to being short staffed).

I know with my store, we're in desperate need of evening colleagues. It's mainly the evening/late shifts that need covering. So it's the ~6:30pm-10:30pm shifts.

If your store has available overtime, it'll be in the 'Overtime Diary'. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BSJ)
    i swear one person should buy the book , and type the whole book out manually in this thread ahaha
    Are you volunteering? :p:

I was asked, and I have done the work. Worked in another store for 9 days (spread out over a month) It's about 20 Miles each way, so have done about 380 miles in total. I spoke to my manager and he said it's quite a generous rate, and is paid per mile, and is likely to be more than I spent on the petrol, which is good I guess! I filled out the claim form today, so I guess its just a waiting game now to see how much I will get!

I didn't clock in and out at my store, I just went over and HR are going to sort out the pay by charging the refit store. It's all rather confusing if you ask me!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.