Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by adam14193)
    Thanks for the quick reply
    So im guessing if it's been over a week, i've been unsuccesful?
    They'll email you if you're not successful, I think.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    I keep looking on the website but nothing ever comes up. Do sainsbury's advertise christmas temporary positions???

(Original post by The Question)
    I keep looking on the website but nothing ever comes up. Do sainsbury's advertise christmas temporary positions???
    Yes. You might've missed out already though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Question)
    Yeah, I had the same problem for a while, but they literally update EVERY DAY, and apparently the job closes when they get 3 applicants. It's just luck. Keep checking!

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

There's a team leader vacancy in my store for checkouts and I'd really like to apply for it. Only thing is, I can come across as quite shy and am wondering if this would have an affect on my application. I'm not actually very shy at all once you get to know me, I just can't be arsed with idle chit chat and sucking up to people with authority.

Do they base team leader applications purely on your interview or is it how they've seen you in the store beforehand? I've been there about 6 months now, on checkouts all that time.

Thanks for reading!

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes customers can be so stupid! Today a customer asked for cashback AFTER her receipt had printed out and when I told her it was too late and that you have to ask before you put your card in she started getting all stroppy, saying "how stupid, I never realised there was an exact time you had to ask".... Don't people realise it comes out of your bank?? I suppose it's not as bad as the customer who asked for cashback when they were paying with cash!

ReputationRep:
    i couldn't believe this customer i was watching today =/.

I was near checkouts and it was like 5 minutes til closing time. This woman came along with a bag of basics table salt i think it is, she saw it was split because a tiny bit of it came out as she put it on the checkout belt. But instead of asking for another bag, she continued to shake it furiously until most of the bag came out! Why? Just, why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahboden)
    i couldn't believe this customer i was watching today =/.

I was near checkouts and it was like 5 minutes til closing time. This woman came along with a bag of basics table salt i think it is, she saw it was split because a tiny bit of it came out as she put it on the checkout belt. But instead of asking for another bag, she continued to shake it furiously until most of the bag came out! Why? Just, why?
    Because people are idiots.

I love the fact that most of my shift is spent in the admin office. Though i have to answer the "do you sell modern warfare" phonecalls.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    glad you manage to bag one, was gonna say i imagine i could send one down your route since we got another 9 in this afternoon. There really is no room to store them, not to mention 10 37" TV's also came in today, our stock room is so crazy :woo:. every other department keep theirs tidy while ours, we do try but the bulkies go and come back in.

the ps3 offer changes on wednesday so if you want a £170 ps3 cazzy, then you better act fast.

on the eye issue, i don't have anything given to me by sainsbury's although this late afternoon, my eyes went fuzzy for 5 seconds then back to normal again, but that happens now and again. probably tiredness.
    Oh ok, cheers x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    Does anyone here have trouble with their eyes after working a day in Sainsbury's? It doesn't matter if it's on checkouts, shopfloor, whatever, my eyes really pain for like a day or 2 after working there. To the extent I have to keep opening and closing them to see properly!! Not good. Never had it before in my 18 years of life...thought it was an eye infection at first but it keeps coming back every day I work there. Surely it can't be the lights, I've worked in places with lots of lights before and no problem at all. Maybe my store has dirt in the air? lol
    Ive had this the last 2 saturdays on the trot. But ive had a headache with it too. I am wondering if its the 6am start. I start at 9 in the week. saturday my eyes were stinging & watering, kept having to close them, but they were pouring with water. Fine the next day though.
    Will see if it happens next saturday.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i never have sore eyes! you must all be tired. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Ive had this the last 2 saturdays on the trot. But ive had a headache with it too. I am wondering if its the 6am start. I start at 9 in the week. saturday my eyes were stinging & watering, kept having to close them, but they were pouring with water. Fine the next day though.
    Will see if it happens next saturday.
    Omg this is exactly it! Poor thing:hugs: I do get headaches but I thought that was cos I stressed out about it so much. Hope yours heals up soon anyway I don't know what it is sadly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    Hi guys

There's a team leader vacancy in my store for checkouts and I'd really like to apply for it. Only thing is, I can come across as quite shy and am wondering if this would have an affect on my application. I'm not actually very shy at all once you get to know me, I just can't be arsed with idle chit chat and sucking up to people with authority.

Do they base team leader applications purely on your interview or is it how they've seen you in the store beforehand? I've been there about 6 months now, on checkouts all that time.

Thanks for reading!
    Yep it's based purely on how you perform in the interview unfortunately. I have personal experience of this, as I was an acting Team Leader on checkouts for the past 6 or so months, and when I came to apply for the official position it was assumed by everyone that I would get the job based on how I'd been doing the job for so long. But someone else applied for the job as well who had never done the job before, and they got the position because they performed better in the interview.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Writer14)
    Yep it's based purely on how you perform in the interview unfortunately. I have personal experience of this, as I was an acting Team Leader on checkouts for the past 6 or so months, and when I came to apply for the official position it was assumed by everyone that I would get the job based on how I'd been doing the job for so long. But someone else applied for the job as well who had never done the job before, and they got the position because they performed better in the interview.
    Purely on a selfish level I'm glad to hear this. But I am sorry you didn't get it It would seem a lot better to give it to someone who has proven themselves in the role but hey this is Sainsbury's You thought of applying for higher positions elsewhere, say Waitrose?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    As one of my colleagues said, nothing at Sainsbury's makes any sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    As one of my colleagues said, nothing at Sainsbury's makes any sense
    Yep They make millions the way they're going - if they had any sense, they'd be making BILLIONS

ReputationRep:
    Helooo

I did my first proper shift on checkouts yesterday ( I'm contracted to do trolleys).

I was just wondering about flights, I was never shown how to do them during till training and my dept. manager just came along and did it for me yesterday, so, am I supposed to do it at set time periods or something or just when I finish the shift?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've got the interview!

What happens now. I'm applying for a sales assistant position in the general merchandise part (selling TVs, cameras, games, clothing, etc -anything that isn't food or pharmaceutical realted)

Been told to call the HR department to schedule an interview.What happens at interview? Is an interview a good sign or do they interview almost everyone?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by miml)
    Right, I've got the interview!

What happens now. I'm applying for a sales assistant position in the general merchandise part (selling TVs, cameras, games, clothing, etc -anything that isn't food or pharmaceutical realted)

Been told to call the HR department to schedule an interview.What happens at interview? Is an interview a good sign or do they interview almost everyone?
    DVD test & one-to-one interview. I think they interview 2 people per post, or that's what I've heard on here? :tongue:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.