Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miml)
    Right, I've got the interview!

What happens now. I'm applying for a sales assistant position in the general merchandise part (selling TVs, cameras, games, clothing, etc -anything that isn't food or pharmaceutical realted)

Been told to call the HR department to schedule an interview.What happens at interview? Is an interview a good sign or do they interview almost everyone?
    They only interview like 2 people for one position so it is a very good sign!

I work on GM, its good as it's always changing because of seasonal stuff and new products coming in all the time
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I haaate GM with a passion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inksplodge)
    I haaate GM with a passion!
    :O why? :p:

the only thing that bothers me is the SINGING TOYS :banghead: :')

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here a checkout team leader?

There's a vacancy for one in a store near me - do I apply through my current store (I am currently working for Sainsbury's)? Is it only 2 people to get interviewed?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    Anyone here a checkout team leader?

There's a vacancy for one in a store near me - do I apply through my current store (I am currently working for Sainsbury's)? Is it only 2 people to get interviewed?!
    Well you can do what I did which was to apply online, accept the interview, then go to your account online and cancel your application, receive the standard email from that store's HR department saying they acknowledge your withdrawal, and then reply telling them them the details of you already being a Sainsburys employee and wanting a transfer for that position.

Or you can simply take note of the job reference number and tell your department manager you'd like to transfer for that position at that store. I suppose thats the easier way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahboden)
    They only interview like 2 people for one position so it is a very good sign!

I work on GM, its good as it's always changing because of seasonal stuff and new products coming in all the time
    i work on GM too but i have to say i hate the amount of change there is. i really cant be bothered with the christmas wraps and cards, they are dotted all over the place.
    i do like the entertainment side, different things everyweek, but domino tagging them is :woo:.

do people find it annoying when a customer asks you something, you say no and they ask someone else who turns to ask you?
    like last week an old lady asked me 'do you have the new rod stewart greatist hits cd in?', i pull off two rod stewart cds in the top 50 and show her the only rod stewart we have, but they weren't what she was after, so i apologised and said we don't do it. A few minutes later i get a tannoy for me, and it was the same customer for the same query. i should get a name badge that under my name should say 'I know my stuff on GM'.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by hannahboden)
    :O why? :p:

the only thing that bothers me is the SINGING TOYS :banghead: :')
    It's toooo frustrating, and toys just never seem to go in the right place, or fit on the shelf. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mug51)
    i work on GM too but i have to say i hate the amount of change there is. i really cant be bothered with the christmas wraps and cards, they are dotted all over the place.
    i do like the entertainment side, different things everyweek, but domino tagging them is :woo:.

do people find it annoying when a customer asks you something, you say no and they ask someone else who turns to ask you?
    like last week an old lady asked me 'do you have the new rod stewart greatist hits cd in?', i pull off two rod stewart cds in the top 50 and show her the only rod stewart we have, but they weren't what she was after, so i apologised and said we don't do it. A few minutes later i get a tannoy for me, and it was the same customer for the same query. i should get a name badge that under my name should say 'I know my stuff on GM'.
    Well, when you think about it, customer service desks are known to be the best place for help, so i guess she thought they could do something like look in the stock room for the cd or something.

i find it more annoying when someone asks 1 employee about something, and then go ask another that is like at the other end of an aisle, thinking they will get a different response :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Just a quick question
    I've been working for a few weeks now, and was wondering if there is a certain amount you have to work before you can use the holiday entitlement for a day off.
    Also during my training they said that they didn't want people taking any holidays during december because it gets so busy and to let them know then, if we had a holiday booked for december time so that they could arrange something else.
    I only need to take a 3 hour shift off because I booked tickets for something a while back and forgot to mention it during my training period. I don't know many people yet so I'm not sure if theres anyone I can ask to swap shifts with me :confused:
    Sorry if I rambled a bit, I'm just not sure what to do about it :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eddikins)
    Well, when you think about it, customer service desks are known to be the best place for help, so i guess she thought they could do something like look in the stock room for the cd or something.

i find it more annoying when someone asks 1 employee about something, and then go ask another that is like at the other end of an aisle, thinking they will get a different response :rolleyes:
    i suppose they do go to customer service for help. i probably do look as if i say no to everything since i know pretty much what stock we have, so i possibly come across as i can't be bothered, when i instantly no i'm afraid we don't.
    also, i find that when i'm with another colleague, customers never ask me anything even though i'm not doing anything and that colleague is busy.

ReputationRep:
    At the end of your probationary period do you get a meeting with a manager or supervisor to verify your employment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrissie-26)
    Sometimes customers can be so stupid! Today a customer asked for cashback AFTER her receipt had printed out and when I told her it was too late and that you have to ask before you put your card in she started getting all stroppy, saying "how stupid, I never realised there was an exact time you had to ask".... Don't people realise it comes out of your bank?? I suppose it's not as bad as the customer who asked for cashback when they were paying with cash!
    :rofl: Haaaaaaaahahahahaha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Question)
    I keep looking on the website but nothing ever comes up. Do sainsbury's advertise christmas temporary positions???
    Definitely check every day. They seem to update very regularly. If you see a position/hours you want, go for it then. I've left a job for the next day before because I know how long the filling form thing is (esp. when registering with a new email address - so you can apply for more jobs at the same time :ninja:) and by the next morning it'd be taken off the list! :pinch:

I applied for a temporary position last week and was interviewed on Friday, so there are still roles available. Actually, I don't know if it's temporary for Christmas or longer. :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wildebeest)
    Has anyone else been having fun with the Channel 4 3D glasses promotion?

All hell was breaking loose on the evening shift today. Literally. Our store isn't a participating one due to its size, and the larger two stores close to us had predictably run out of their stock. The customers were throwing unbelievable tantrums, complaining about poor organisation, snapping that we had misled them and becoming progressively louder. This isn't to mention the volume of phone calls on the matter (in addition to Call of Duty). It's all quite amusing to a not-quite-so-spoilt person like me.
    I found it ridiculous you think we were selling gold! looool

ReputationRep:
    Also, while I'm in the mood to take over the thread, for my interview on Friday, I had the dvd test thing and on the personality part, there's one question that bothered me and I wish we were allowed to explain our answers - 'if you saw a colleague drinking at work, would you always tell your manager?' I know you're not supposed to tell people answers, but my answer still bothers me. I said I wouldn't (well, I ticked 'disagree'), because the first time/if I thought it was out of the blue, I would talk to the person, make sure things are OK with them and warn them that if I saw them doing it again or suspected it, I'd be forced to tell the manager, but I'd give them a chance (especially if they weren't drunk).
    But then in the interview bit (less than 5 minutes :dry:), when asked about two good things about me, I said I was honest. :rolleyes:
    I was also annoyed with my 'I am the happiest out of my friends' question (I said 'disagree' because I'm never happy when I know my friends are unhappy and will do what I can to make them happy first) and my 'I can always see ways to get round rules without breaking them' answer. In fact, I can't remember my answer to that one! I deliberated for ages! I can see ways to get round rules, but I don't use them (I even underlined 'see' on my form to highlight that point). Is that supposed to be a good thing? Then I thought about it some more and I think I decided that I find it easier to think of ways to get away with breaking the law/rules, than ways to get around the rules/laws without breaking them, so I think I said 'disagree' again, but am still not confident about my answer and wish I could have explained myself (would probably have babbled on for ages though!).

Has anyone else ever thought, in hindsight, that they put stupid answer but still ended up getting the job? Please say yes! :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    One last question! The job I applied for was a term time temporary job. Is there much difference between an ordinary temporary job with regards to my rights for holidays and sick days and discount cards etc. (yes, I should have asked, but I was surprised at the 'interview' already being over!)

Also, do term time jobs tend to stop at early Christmas? I think Uni finishes on the 13th-ish of December and considering my family are supposed to be going to Edinburgh for the hols (not booked yet). It would be great if the job did stop early as I have worked the past 6 Christmas Eves and this would be my first away from home and I wondered how I would get from Nottingham to London to catch an afternoon train to Edinburgh if I was made to work that day!

Also, would I have to sign a new contract/reapply for the next term or does the job carry over?

I don't know why i'm asking so many questions. I probably haven't got the job due to my stupidity. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    If they don't hire you it's THEIR loss, not yours. That's the kind of attitude to take with these greedy corporations. Don't forget you'll be working min wage, for most of your waking life. You'll be told when to be sick , when to have a break, and when you can have a day off.
    You'll be lining the pockets of the upper classes, so they can have a big house , big car and private health care. Which they will need when they go into their exclusive retirement homes, they'll live longer than the slave workers they drive.

They treat their customers poorly and their staff even worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loots Bosman)
    If they don't hire you it's THEIR loss, not yours. That's the kind of attitude to take with these greedy corporations. Don't forget you'll be working min wage, for most of your waking life. You'll be told when to be sick , when to have a break, and when you can have a day off.
    You'll be lining the pockets of the upper classes, so they can have a big house , big car and private health care. Which they will need when they go into their exclusive retirement homes, they'll live longer than the slave workers they drive.

They treat their customers poorly and their staff even worse.
    I really need the money though. :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    don't we all!

good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EskimoJo)
    Also, while I'm in the mood to take over the thread, for my interview on Friday, I had the dvd test thing and on the personality part, there's one question that bothered me and I wish we were allowed to explain our answers - 'if you saw a colleague drinking at work, would you always tell your manager?' I know you're not supposed to tell people answers, but my answer still bothers me. I said I wouldn't (well, I ticked 'disagree'), because the first time/if I thought it was out of the blue, I would talk to the person, make sure things are OK with them and warn them that if I saw them doing it again or suspected it, I'd be forced to tell the manager, but I'd give them a chance (especially if they weren't drunk).
    But then in the interview bit (less than 5 minutes :dry:), when asked about two good things about me, I said I was honest. :rolleyes:
    I was also annoyed with my 'I am the happiest out of my friends' question (I said 'disagree' because I'm never happy when I know my friends are unhappy and will do what I can to make them happy first) and my 'I can always see ways to get round rules without breaking them' answer. In fact, I can't remember my answer to that one! I deliberated for ages! I can see ways to get round rules, but I don't use them (I even underlined 'see' on my form to highlight that point). Is that supposed to be a good thing? Then I thought about it some more and I think I decided that I find it easier to think of ways to get away with breaking the law/rules, than ways to get around the rules/laws without breaking them, so I think I said 'disagree' again, but am still not confident about my answer and wish I could have explained myself (would probably have babbled on for ages though!).

Has anyone else ever thought, in hindsight, that they put stupid answer but still ended up getting the job? Please say yes! :puppyeyes:
    I didn't put what I honestly thought I would do, just what I thought they wanted to hear.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.