Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You sit around, watch dvds, fill out work booklets, and try not to fall asleep.

ReputationRep:
    That may of been when ours was, I can't remember exactly when.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by miml)
    Have my induction on 2nd/3rd December. What normally happens at these (and will I be paid for them. It is 8 hours over 2 days!)
    Yes you'll get paid for induction. You'll get your uniform, you'll have to watch DVDs, general stuff like Think 25 and all that rubbish. Like Untitled said, you'll be trying not to fall asleep lol :woo:

Only 8 hours for the induction? Have they cut it down or something?

ReputationRep:
    They'll only have me back for two weeks over Christmas

ReputationRep:
    Is it true once Sainsbury's get 2 applications for jobs on their website, they take them down and start interviewing? It's just I've expressed interest (wasn't asked to fill out application form or anything) in a team leader position in another store different to my own. I applied through my current store's HR team. The vacancy is still on the website though, has been for a few days since I told my HR about it. Does this mean nobody else is applying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    Only 8 hours for the induction? Have they cut it down or something?
    I had 4.

ReputationRep:
    Its getting real silly at our place. We are always short staffed. Why dont they take on more people? Ive looked on their web site & it says no vacancies in online shopping, so I know they're not even looking.
    I end up feeling guilty when they ask if I want to stay longer & I say no. Trouble is, I cant leave my dog on her own any longer than I already do. But have told them I will fill in on the days I dont normally work if they ever get desperate.
    Does anyone else feel guilty if they ask you to stay on longer & you cant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spazzycazzy)
    Its getting real silly at our place. We are always short staffed. Why dont they take on more people? Ive looked on their web site & it says no vacancies in online shopping, so I know they're not even looking.
    I end up feeling guilty when they ask if I want to stay longer & I say no. Trouble is, I cant leave my dog on her own any longer than I already do. But have told them I will fill in on the days I dont normally work if they ever get desperate.
    Does anyone else feel guilty if they ask you to stay on longer & you cant?
    I don't feel guilty; I often give them an hour of free time per day doing the night to dayshift handover. I understand why you do but the problem is brought on by the ROMs, store managers and general higher management who want to slash the labour budget to maximise profit. The new line seems to be efficiency is everything. We're not even getting Christmas temps at our store. If someone leaves our shift they're now not getting replaced which as you can imagine leads to some shortfalls on many nights.

(Original post by danpr)
    I don't feel guilty; I often give them an hour of free time per day doing the night to dayshift handover. I understand why you do but the problem is brought on by the ROMs, store managers and general higher management who want to slash the labour budget to maximise profit. The new line seems to be efficiency is everything. We're not even getting Christmas temps at our store. If someone leaves our shift they're now not getting replaced which as you can imagine leads to some shortfalls on many nights.
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Not really a shock for me. I knew when I applied for the position it would entail a few late finishes. Sometimes I manage to get away on the dot - sometimes!

lol... they don't get any free time from me. If I clock in at 5.56 I clock out at 11.56.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I am always out by 7.01am :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FXX)
    lol... they don't get any free time from me. If I clock in at 5.56 I clock out at 11.56.
    Is that allowed? If so I'm starting!:p:

ReputationRep:
    Frowned upon in some places, disciplined in others, allowed in others :P

How useless are checkouts, they make a tannoy every five seconds for more staff, feel like going down and telling them to just hire some more staff!

ReputationRep:
    Why do people think this thread is so popular on TSR? Is it because Sainsburys is such a popular place to work or is it more cos they make so many mistakes we have loads to complain about

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theamazingconquistadore)
    Frowned upon in some places, disciplined in others, allowed in others :P

How useless are checkouts, they make a tannoy every five seconds for more staff, feel like going down and telling them to just hire some more staff!
    Tell me about it. I had the misfortune of being till trained. I'm on tills for atleast 2-3 hours of my 9 hour shift pretty much every shift and I have been on for 5 hours on one occassion! They should stop being so tight!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)

Bare in mind however, that there are certain departments you won't be able to work in (Beers, Wines & Spirits and the Meat Counter) until you're eighteen.

Really? I did some overtime on BWS a couple of times when I was 16. :eek3:

(Original post by crawleytownfc)
    Really? I did some overtime on BWS a couple of times when I was 16. :eek3:
    From what I understand, you're not supposed to (until your 18), but it's different if you're already an employee and merely doing overtime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    From what I understand, you're not supposed to (until your 18), but it's different if you're already an employee and merely doing overtime.
    I think it used to be illegal, but now if you are supervised by an over-18, it is OK.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.